PDA

View Full Version : Thank an official

CenTexSports
08-15-2005, 08:47 AM
I have a few friends that are officials and you may not know it but every official has to work at least three scrimmages. On Saturday, I know one group that work 9 hours at two different scrimmages (this was probably the case all over Texas). These guys don't get paid for working the scrimmage and it is pretty hot on the field for them too.

So if you get a chance, tell them that you appreciate what they are doing.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-15-2005, 09:12 AM
Only time I EVER thank an official is when I meet an official who will actually call the game right down the middle.....meaning NO BAD CALLS, or NO EXCESSIVE CALLS FOR ONE TEAM.

Sorry, but Port Isabel, for some strange reason or another (especially during the regular season) has referees that just LOVE to make crap calls against us. Call it what you will, but my fellow Port Isabel posters will agree with me.

Bullaholic
08-15-2005, 10:11 AM
In over 30 years of watching Texas High School football, I can honestly say that I have never witnessed a game in which there was undenialble proof that an official had a "bias" in favor of one team or another. I have seen plenty of "bad" or "poor judgement" calls which seemed to favor one team over another, but none that I could attribute to outright favortism by an official. When your football team gets beat by a significant margin, it is not the official's fault, but rather that your team faced a better team on the field that day. Now, a bad call at the end of a close contest can have an effect on the win-lose record of a team, but thankfully those do not occur regularly. I'm sure a biased call has occurred sometime, somewhere at an athletic event---but I believe them to be few and far between--and such officials do not last long in officiating because they would be ostracized by the officating community as well as coaches and fans. This is my personal experience as a fan, and in no way makes me more correct than anyone else, but I do have great respect for the majority of the men an women who work very hard at a difficult "no win" situation job, largely without thanks, to serve us and our youth every season.

dick_shsu
08-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
In over 30 years of watching Texas High School football, I can honestly say that I have never witnessed a game in which there was undenialble proof that an official had a "bias" in favor of one team or another. I have seen plenty of "bad" or "poor judgement" calls which seemed to favor one team over another, but none that I could attribute to outright favortism by an official. When your football team gets beat by a significant margin, it is not the official's fault, but rather that your team faced a better team on the field that day. Now, a bad call at the end of a close contest can have an effect on the win-lose record of a team, but thankfully those do not occur regularly. I'm sure a biased call has occurred sometime, somewhere at an athletic event---but I believe them to be few and far between--and such officials do not last long in officiating because they would be ostracized by the officating community as well as coaches and fans. This is my personal experience as a fan, and in no way makes me more correct than anyone else, but I do have great respect for the majority of the men an women who work very hard at a difficult "no win" situation job, largely without thanks, to serve us and our youth every season.

very well put...

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Heh, go watch a few Port Isabel regular season games, and you'll see what I mean.

HighSchool Fan
08-15-2005, 12:35 PM
there's a shortage of ref's in texas. go help them.

Keith7
08-15-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

i've seen one game where the ref was biased.. it was Gainesville vs. Celina, when Celina was stil on that winning streak, everybody thought the refs were biased in that game.. the Dallas Morning News even wrote a story about it

HighSchool Fan
08-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
i've seen one game where the ref was biased.. it was Gainesville vs. Celina, when Celina was stil on that winning streak, everybody thought the refs were biased in that game.. the Dallas Morning News even wrote a story about it

as did the denton record chronicle