PDA

View Full Version : Select Softball Team With Girls From S'water, Merkel, Wilie, And....Sinton?

Phantom Stang
08-14-2005, 04:04 PM
Sports

Local girl keeps 'select' company

Softball hasn't exactly left Sweetwater's Jordan Lawrence feeling blue this summer.

Pitching for the Big Country Blue Sox, a Class A select team of high school players from the Abilene area, Lawrence had a perfect game on June 18 when she took the mound against an 18-and-under team from Lev-elland -- known as the Wa-hines -- at a United States Fastpitch Association (USFA) tournament.

Almost exactly a month later on July 15, Lawrence was part of a championship softball squad as the Blue Sox won the inaugural World Series in the Valley tournament which was held in Brownsville.

The Blue Sox were crowned champions after defeating the Rio Grande Valley Heat, 6-2, in the championship game. After qualifying for the tournament in Round Rock, the Blue Sox won five of their six games.

Big Countryb1

also faced teams from Austin and Corpus Chris-ti at the tournament. Wylie's Marlene Wyatt was the winning pitcher in the final game and Kaitlin Wallace of Abilene Cooper was named MVP.

According to the Blue Sox's assistant coach Luann Chas-tain, the team came from behind in nearly every game it won at the tournament in Brownsville. "Every game was really close," Chastain said. "The teams were really good down there."

Other players on the Blue Sox included Amber Riddle of Merkel, Megan Chastain and Whitney Moutray of Abilene High, Sara Cadena and Blair Wallace of Cooper, Heather Cobb and Allyson Cobb of Hawley and guest players Jackie Noriega and Kirsten Shedd of Sinton.

Copyright © 2005 Sweetwater Reporter

pirate4state
08-14-2005, 09:46 PM
:) Cool! I knew the girls were trying to get in as many games/tourneys as they could. :thumbsup:

Phantom Stang
08-15-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang

guest players Jackie Noriega and Kirsten Shedd of Sinton.

I'm just curious, were these girls visiting relatives in West Texas?, or did they help out in a specific tournament?

pirate4state
08-15-2005, 09:28 AM
I'm just curious, were these girls visiting relatives in West Texas?, or did they help out in a specific tournament? Ummm, I think the article is referring to the Brownsville tourney. :confused: I know that Kirsten & Jackie were both at that tournament, but I haven't heard anything about them going out West. :thinking:

Phantom Stang
08-15-2005, 09:44 AM
Thank's pirate,
If they played on the team all season, then the paper should have listed them as members rather than guests, but you never can tell.

pirate4state
08-15-2005, 10:23 AM
Thank's pirate,
If they played on the team all season, then the paper should have listed them as members rather than guests, but you never can tell. They didn't play with them all season. Thus the "guest" title. They just played with them in Brownsville. I don't know how that works? :thinking:

Old Cardinal
08-15-2005, 11:09 AM
I would like to invite your select teams to participate at the giant AFA 18 & U National in Beaumont (some 140 teams projected for next August). There is a very big SB event nearly every weekenc in Beaumont through a large part of the year.
Also in the early spring a giant HS SB Extravanganza takes place at Ford Park for Louisiana and Texas teams. It's like one big multi-scrimmage with 45 min. drop dead type scrimmages. Therefore, your team gets to go against assorted Pitching etc: You are seeded against teams of your caliber as best as can be projected.
This is a real festival of fun--the girls do cajun & line dancing out on the cement center plaza when they are not playing a game. It is designed to be a real hoot.
There are teams traveling longer distances each year for this unique event. We can even put you up in retreat centers at churches if you Athletic Boosters Club cannot raise enough money for motel rooms.

Phil C
08-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Old I hope our Sinton girls can and will participate since it would be a lot of fun for them and let them get some exposure to college coaches up there plus enable them to face some competition outside of our area. A good program indeed.

Old Cardinal
08-15-2005, 12:30 PM
That sounds great! See if Coach Sissy Lemons(Nederland) and/or Coach Shorty(Hamshire-Fannett) can schedule you against Orangefield, H-F, Bridge City, or Diboll.
I am hoping that mostl of the teams that went several rounds or more in the 3A playoffs can participate. I am hoping that Rockdale, Bellville, and LaGrange( 18 handicap) can attended this scrimmage type ballgame forum.