PDA

View Full Version : Scrimmages

MARLINDOGS
08-13-2005, 06:58 AM
Just wanted to say everyone have a great scrimmage today.Play hard and everyone have fun.And hope there are no injures.:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

Chef bob
08-13-2005, 07:21 AM
where are everyones scrimmages

LH Panther Mom
08-13-2005, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Chef bob
where are everyones scrimmages

Ours is at House Park in Austin against Anderson High.

Chef bob
08-13-2005, 07:36 AM
Thanks!
yes football
woohoo

pirate4state
08-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Chef bob
where are everyones scrimmages Sinton will play host to the Sand Crabs of Pt. Lavaca. Freshman start at 5:30 (I think), JV follows and Varisty at 7:30pm. Boosters will be out selling Pirate merchandise so come on out! :)

wos fan1
08-13-2005, 10:58 AM
WO-S travels to Kirbyville tonight. I'll post results later tonight..

Tiger90
08-13-2005, 11:49 AM
WOS should do well. Nederland is coming to Silsbee.

wos fan1
08-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Nederland is down some this year. Especially with the stud running back Mosley out for 6 weeks....Good luck.

bulldogbark
08-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Jasper is in Anahauc (spelling)

c-town_balla
08-13-2005, 12:17 PM
We scimmaged Robinson and won 4-2 we look alright. Freshamn tied 6-6 and Jv tied 0-0

Tiger90
08-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Well it is finally begining. Good luck to WOS and Jasper (until week 10). Hopefully we three will lead the area again this year.

44INAROW
08-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Cuero is headed up to Lockhart, beginning @ 5:00 with Freshman

GO MEAN GREEN

wos fan1
08-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Everyone please try to post scrimmage scores this evening from the Varsity since most of them are done like real games anyway.

GS#17
08-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Sounds like a plan, Tiger90... Good luck to you guys, also!

sicem74
08-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
We scimmaged Robinson and won 4-2 we look alright. Freshamn tied 6-6 and Jv tied 0-0
dude wasnt it 4-1

K-TOWN
08-13-2005, 03:14 PM
Kennedale and Azle had there first scrimmages today.

It was a very good scrimmage to watch. Kennedale looks very strong on there running game. but there is still alot more room for improvment

Old Tiger
08-13-2005, 03:21 PM
We scrimmage in 3 hours and 40 min.

sicem74
08-13-2005, 03:24 PM
good luck!

footballgal
08-13-2005, 03:54 PM
PI scrimmaged Laredo United South Panthers.

Offense look pretty good, especially the QB Carr Grenier. He was throwing the passes right in receiver's hand, even though the recievers dropped a few, but the RBs did catch the majority of them. Frankie Espinoza looked good on offense too. There was one RB, whom I don't know who it was, he ran the ball very well. (maybe Delgado, hard to tell with new player plus no numbers) When I left the Tarpons were just starting the 2 series on offensive with a different QB, and they were up 2-1. I like the fact that we had quite a few passing plays, giving them a more balance offense. Defense started a little slow but then picked it up. Coach Stump played alot of different players, so it's hard to gauge, but overall they had a very solid performance. Next week should be a better challenge against Mercedes (4A) and the following week will be even more against Los Fresnos (5A). Tarpons should improve every week and by the LF game and I think they will be OK even against LF.

footballgal
08-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Final PI Tarpons 7 to 2 for Laredo United South.

Ranger05
08-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Ranger Mom have heard anything about the greenwood coahoma scrimmage yet

LH Panther Mom
08-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Oh man! I just knew somebody would want scores. I know our freshman had 6 or 7 td's to Anderson's 3. # 55 (starting at DE this year) had a great tackle behind the line. :D JV, I'm not sure about, since they were playing at the same time, but when I did have a minute to watch, they were doing great. Varsity tore them up, score ended at 3-2, LH, I believe. Other than 3 break-away runs (the last with 2nd string D), our defense did a great job!

I do know that when all was said & done, our boys ran 4 sets of gassers and the Anderson players did well to run one set and were looking a little green around the gills. :D Most of them sat on their sidelines watching our boys in either disgust or amazement. ;)

WTG Cats!!!!!

Old No. 7
08-13-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm at work so I'm missing the WOS and K-ville scrimmage. I sure wanted to see the Beasley kid. I heard he has some speed. Maybe we will get an update on here later.
I still haven't heard how Jasper did today. I hope all games are injury free. Best of luck to you all. :)

footballgal
08-13-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
Final PI Tarpons 7 to 2 for Laredo United South.

click on streaming video

http://southtxhsfootball.com/Team_Subpages/Port_Isabel/PIvsLaredoUnitedSo.html

Thanks to NFCFan (Tarpon Fan) and southtxhsfootball.com

Phantom Stang
08-13-2005, 08:22 PM
I was hoping someone would have posted a report on the Sweetwater - Midland Christian scrimmage by now.

Old No. 7
08-13-2005, 08:50 PM
I just heard it is 21 to 14 at the half. WOS on top. The Cats are running the ball ok but the D is having trouble with the WOS passing game. Come on Cats!

Old Green
08-13-2005, 09:07 PM
click on streaming video

Thanks to NFCFan (Tarpon Fan) and southtxhsfootball.com Great highlight clips FootballGal:clap: .

gobblerfan02
08-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Just spoke with 44 over the phone, she said Cuero won all 3 games over Lockhart in Lockhart tonight pretty handily, said they all looked pretty good!!!!!!!....Let her give the details later when she gets back home!:D

AP Panther Fan
08-13-2005, 09:21 PM
Well, AP lost to Beeville today 4-2 during the play series and then lost 13-7 during the 1 quarter of play. Geez, it sure was hot out there at 10:00 this morning.:mad:

Overall, our kids look good just have some more work to do. They are still having some problems remembering all the plays, but I guess that is why we have 2 a days and scrimmages. With many of them having had to learn 3 offenses in the last 4 years...I would say they are off to a good start. I am betting on Coach Larsen to get it all pulled together in short order.:)

footballgal
08-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Great highlight clips FootballGal:clap: .

Thanks Old Green:)

Old Tiger
08-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Rockdale tied Fairfield 1-1

Fairfields Second team scored on Rockdales 2cd team in their set of 15 plays.

Rockdales First Team scored against Fairfields 1st team in the last set of 15 for the offence.

fairfield_06
08-13-2005, 10:02 PM
I've been trying to figure out what happened. Now noone can talk trash that sucks.

Gobbler Fan
08-13-2005, 10:37 PM
Cuero Varsity win's 3-1 over Lockhart
JV wins - 5-0
Fresh. win - 3-0 ? not to sure about that one.

Freshman have some big kids on that line .

JV- well what is there to say when on the first 8 plays they scored 3 td's .

Varsity was first on D. and seemd a little tenative at first and Lockhart scored on their first possesion but after that they had trouble moving the ball with their motion offense but were able to throw a little bit against Cuero's secondary on some great catches by their wide recievers .All in all the 1st and 2nd team D looked good........Cuero took the ball on their first possesion and drove down and scored a td. with some good ground work from Olquin and company . With some nifty passing from We're Back, Cuero scored on a short pass on their second possesion .Lockhart was shut out the rest of the scrimmage and Cuero's D caused a few turnovers . We're Back had what I thought was the play of the game .......on a scramble he went right then cut back left across the field and got a GREAT block from a teammate flattening the oncoming DB trying to get to Kyle , well 40 yards later the play ended this was the last play of Cuero's offensive set so this was another one that could have been another td .The third TD came from the 2nd team offense when the QB on a 3rd and 1 took a QB keeper up the middle for 45 yds.

I like that shotgun look and throwing the ball downfield ....nice .

Great work guy's !

GS#17
08-13-2005, 10:52 PM
WOS 42, K'ville 14 -- good scrimmage for both teams.

Old Tiger
08-13-2005, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by fairfield_06
Now noone can talk trash that sucks. I guess

LHMom
08-13-2005, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Oh man! I just knew somebody would want scores. I know our freshman had 6 or 7 td's to Anderson's 3. # 55 (starting at DE this year) had a great tackle behind the line. :D JV, I'm not sure about, since they were playing at the same time, but when I did have a minute to watch, they were doing great. Varsity tore them up, but score ended at 2-2. Other than 3 break-away runs (the last with 2nd string D), our defense did a great job!

I do know that when all was said & done, our boys ran 4 sets of gassers and the Anderson players did well to run one set and were looking a little green around the gills. :D Most of them sat on their sidelines watching our boys in either disgust or amazement. ;)

WTG Cats!!!!!

LHPM - When we played them last year, Austin Anderson was being served pizza in the shade while LH ran their gassers.

WOS1
08-14-2005, 12:30 AM
WO-S Fresh 2, K'ville 0

WO-S JV 3, K'ville 0

pirate4state
08-14-2005, 12:43 AM
I arrived late to Sinton's scrimmage and only got to see the starting offense twice. They scored on their last possession. Before I got there Sinton had scored 3 times on Pt. Lavaca and the Defense had one take away. The Defense looks stout!! Still room for improvement, but I like what I saw. :D O-line needs some work, but Daniel & his receivers looked good and seem to have their timing down. :clap: Don't think I'll be able to make next weeks scrimmage in Robstown. Noticed some Taft coaches scouting...:D

footballgal
08-14-2005, 01:58 AM
click on streaming video

Thanks to NFCFan (Tarpon Fan) and southtxhsfootball.com

LAREDO UNITED SOUTH AT PORT ISABEL
Monty Stumbaugh got some questions answered Saturday about his team in its first scrimmage against Laredo United South.

Stumbaugh said he got solid performances from quarterback Carr Grienier and running back Marky Villarreal. The defense also had some good stops according to Stumbaugh.

“We took steps forward,” Stumbaugh said. “We moved the ball well and did a good job covering the pass.”

This scrimmage also used the 20-15-20-15 format with no game situations.

“We got a couple of questions answered, but plenty more to answer,” Stumbaugh said. “For us, we feel like we found kids to step up.”

The Tarpons have one more scrimmage next week against Mercedes on the road before their season opener against Los Fresnos.

dutchman
08-14-2005, 02:13 AM
Marlin Scrimmage - Marlin/Navasota/Crockett

Marlin's offense was awesome. Scored only once against Navasota with seven offensive plays Sanders went for 60 yards on a quarterback option, second series running back fumbled at the goal line. Running game is not there yet, but the 7 on 7 really payed off for the dawgs. The receivers caught everything that was thrown to them. Second team offense ran the ball well, but still a lot of work to do. Marlin scored twice on Crockett in five plays. The second series the ball was snapped over Sanders head, he picked up the fumble and threw about fifty yards against the wind for the second score. Defense has some work to do, but neither Navasota or Crockett ever passed the thirty yard line on the first or second team defense. One thing that impressed me about Marlin was they are playing like a team again. The receivers are working on fundamentals when they are not playing and the defense is game tackling again, like they did in 2000. I will not make the Burnet scrimmage next week, maybe MARLINDOGS can give an update. If NHSRattler attended I would like to hear their thoughts on the scrimmage. We have two sophmores fighting for the starting running back postion, either could start, but the next scrimmage and first couple of games will tell.

LH Panther Mom
08-14-2005, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by LHMom
LHPM - When we played them last year, Austin Anderson was being served pizza in the shade while LH ran their gassers.

I think they had the brisket sandwiches yesterday. :D Conditioning does wonders in Q4.

dutchman
08-14-2005, 09:05 AM
LHPM,

What are gassers?

LH Panther Mom
08-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by dutchman
LHPM,

What are gassers?

Back & forth across the field twice is one rep.

raider red 2000
08-14-2005, 10:51 AM
i found this on another thread:

Wharton- Yoakum scrimmage
Got called early due to the weather, had one lightning delay. But here is what happened.

Goal Line: Yoakum 4 Wharton 3
1st O/D: Wharton 3 Yoakum 0
2nd O/D: Wharton 1 Yoakum 0

Another 10 play session with the 1s was canceled due to rain.

I will post the stats later after I watch the film.

**One not Wharton scored 3 TDs on the first 5 plays! (30 yard pass, 40 yard TD pass, 70 yard TD run, no gain, 70 yard TD run)

Not all of the film came out b/c of the weather. I think that we missed about 7 Yoakum O plays, so they probably had a few more yards than this shows.

This is with 12 7 on 7 plays, 10 goal line plays and then 22 or so 1s and 2s.

Scores: Wharton 4 (3 goalline) Yoakum 0 (4 goalline)
Rushing Yards: Wharton 218 Yoakum 17
Passing Yards: Wharton 200 Yoakum 54
Total: Wharton 418 Yoakum 71

chubbed_up
08-14-2005, 01:12 PM
can i get a report on my boys from sinton?

Chris Hart
08-14-2005, 01:20 PM
I saw on another site, that the Wimberley/Gonzales scrimmage ended 2-1 for Wimberley, but they had trouble protecting the QB and had several turnovers. The faithful say they look a long way from being the state contender that I think they will be. It's very early, and just a scrimmage....

SP-2-state
08-14-2005, 02:05 PM
I was at the Sinton scrimmage. Looked pretty good for their first time coming together. Ramirez looked great. His wide outs and him were on the same page the entire night. Burk is one fast kid. Rendon makes plays with his quickness and had plenty of good receptions. Plus their running back is one heck of an athlete. Believe his name is Ring. On D the pirates are back. Jason Garcia and Ryan Uekert are some animals. Those boys are all over the field. The second teamers didn't have much size but got some speed. One guy i was impressed with from second team was #8 believe he is Dunlap...only a soph.:D

Lets go boys all the way this year!

Gobbla2001
08-14-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
I saw on another site, that the Wimberley/Gonzales scrimmage ended 2-1 for Wimberley, but they had trouble protecting the QB and had several turnovers. The faithful say they look a long way from being the state contender that I think they will be. It's very early, and just a scrimmage....

Wonder if Gonzales was causing the problems or if Wimberly's taking time to gel?

Sounds like it was a good scrimmage either way...

Someone tell me what Gonzo looked like?

Old Tiger
08-14-2005, 02:21 PM
We scrimmage Gonzales in 2 weeks on a thursday in Gonzales.

Necked
08-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Columbia scrimmaged #17 ranked 4A Texas City. I don't have any details, but there are a lot of upset TC posters out there today. Seems we torched them on a few plays, and they are not happy at all! Several posters tried to tell them how good Columbia's team is this year but they don't want to hear it. You 3A folks are gonna love this line...
"I don't care how good they are...they are a 3A TEAM!!!" :weeping:

I LOVE that! Nothing quite like making the big boys squirm!!
Think I'll have to add that one to my signature...

ILS1
08-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Any results from the Hutto/Luling scrimmage yesterday morning? Thanks.

:D

Pball
08-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Palestine won their scrimmage 4-0 against Mexia. QB threw 3 TD passes and they ran for one. Both running backs averaged 8 yds per carry. Offense and defense both looked good.

BU97
08-14-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Necked
Columbia scrimmaged #17 ranked 4A Texas City. I don't have any details, but there are a lot of upset TC posters out there today. Seems we torched them on a few plays, and they are not happy at all! Several posters tried to tell them how good Columbia's team is this year but they don't want to hear it. You 3A folks are gonna love this line...
"I don't care how good they are...they are a 3A TEAM!!!" :weeping:

I LOVE that! Nothing quite like making the big boys squirm!!
Think I'll have to add that one to my signature...

I was there and it was pretty even when I left, I think it was 2-2, of course TC had one TD run that the WC defensive end was tackeld! The 'Necks looked pretty good.

GS#17
08-14-2005, 04:53 PM
Here's the TC hometown paper's writeup on the Columbia-TC scrimmage:

Galveston Daily News (http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=b8709fa3f2f4c546)

Stings have a lot of work to do

By James Fremont
The Daily News

Published August 14, 2005

Texas City head football coach Tim Finn gathered his Stingarees around him on Saturday after their first scrimmage of 2005 and asked them a rather simple question.

It was whether the Stings gave their best effort against West Columbia.

The reply came slowly, but Finn sees plenty of room for improvement after an event that mostly looked like what it was — the first time on the field for the Stings against another school’s varsity squad.

“We’ve got a lot of people to look at, and that’s what you try to do in a scrimmage,” Finn said. “We’ve got some things we need to work on, but we also did some good things.”

The Roughnecks, preparing for their second season of Class 3A ball after dropping from 4A, brought some speed and a passing game to challenge the Stings.

“I was told they had some good skill people, like we do,” Finn said. “It’s just a matter of finding and working with the linemen. It’s not something that’s going to come overnight. We’ll get it worked out.”

Most Stings figure to play both offense and defense this year — it’s what Finn calls “iron man football.” Players saw action on both sides of the ball, but didn’t seem to wear down.

“What looked good is that we seemed to pick up speed as the night went on,” Finn said.

Not all was pretty for the Stings, though. Roughneck ballcarriers evaded several tacklers and broke plays. One was a touchdown pass from Tim Vernor to Jared Flannel against the first-team Stings defense. Finn said two Texas City tacklers collided when trying to collapse on Flannel, allowing the runner to break for the end zone.

But not all the playmakers on offense were wearing maroon. Running backs Jarvis Carraway and Jarell Routt got to show off their speed, and quarterbacks Clay Puckett and Brandon Robinson took repetitions under center and in the shotgun.

The Stings’ uncertainty on offense is in the trenches, where there are few varsity-tested players left in the program.

“I thought Clay delivered the ball well, and we know Brandon can run,” Finn said. “The thing with quarterbacks and running backs is they’re only as good as the guys in front of them.”

The Stings graduated most of their offensive line from last year, and only Sean Warren returns as a full-time starter — and he expects to see time on the defensive line as well.

One Stings highlight was the placekicking of sophomore Mitch Russo. The Stings graduated three-year starting kicker Michael Perren last year, and Russo comes into 2005 poised to handle extra point and field goal kicks.

“Hopefully he’s on the same plan as Perren,” Finn said. “He’s been working hard at it.”

Perren took over punting duties as a junior, but that position is open as well this year. Finn said the team will continue to find a starting punter, which could be Russo.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-14-2005, 10:38 PM
Any Bellville posters at the Bellville vs 4A Brenham, Brenham is ranked in the top 10 in 4A. How did the Brahmas look?

Fish's mom
08-15-2005, 10:15 AM
Ingleside looked good won against both teams(St. Joseph's and Kennedy), don't ask me the score don't know and I was there . I dont like scrimmages that much because they don't really give you and overall view of what a real game going to look like. Basically it a practice run of most of your plays with all players 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string. It's a way to see how other teams react to your plays and check your teams timing. Don't put much wieght in them. But they did look good , the most important thing is this year they looked in better shape then last year, not so tired.

IHStangFan
08-15-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Fish's mom
Ingleside looked good won against both teams(St. Joseph's and Kennedy), don't ask me the score don't know and I was there . I dont like scrimmages that much because they don't really give you and overall view of what a real game going to look like. Basically it a practice run of most of your plays with all players 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string. It's a way to see how other teams react to your plays and check your teams timing. Don't put much wieght in them. But they did look good , the most important thing is this year they looked in better shape then last year, not so tired. thats good to hear......reminds me of last year against Sinton....they looked good against Sinton last year till the 2nd half where Sinton's depth made the big diff. Ingleside looked tired, while Sinton rotated in fresh players. Thats what makes the Pirates so tough, loads of talent + a deeper bench then any other team in the district = hard to beat.

Fish's mom
08-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
thats good to hear......reminds me of last year against Sinton....they looked good against Sinton last year till the 2nd half where Sinton's depth made the big diff. Ingleside looked tired, while Sinton rotated in fresh players. Thats what makes the Pirates so tough, loads of talent + a deeper bench then any other team in the district = hard to beat.
Think they going for the overall team can accomplish it attitude this year , instead "let's hope these certain players can carry us attitude" Did I say that right? In otherwords, everyone has a job on the team, and it's just as important as the other players job. Sure I still believe that they'll be some players that will play both offensive and defensive just won't have to be out there every play. So they don't get beat up so much.......playing four quarters on most plays can wear down even the best players. But also this summer there were more players on 7 on 7 teams and at the school conditioning. And you can see the difference even after two scrimmages they looked like could have played more.

Bull's-eye
08-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Any Bellville posters at the Bellville vs 4A Brenham, Brenham is ranked in the top 10 in 4A. How did the Brahmas look?

In the regular scrimmage, both teams scored twice. Bellville had trouble running the ball against a very fast Brenham defense. Bellville did have success throwing, scoring both TD's via the air. Bellville's defense had some trouble stopping the run, but did a good job defending the pass.

In the live 20 minute scrimmage, Brenham won 21-3. Bellville continued having problems stopping the run. On offense, running the ball was still difficult and the passing game suffered due to a strong wind. Bellville played the whole 20 minutes against the wind.

Bellville's B. Harris had a big game receiving and their kicker converted a 35 yd FG aginst the wind. Bellville's running game problems were hopefully due to the Cub's defense. They returned 9 starters with great size and speed. We should know more after the next scrimmage.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-15-2005, 09:49 PM
Hey Bulls-eye, will you be in Bellville this week?

Bull's-eye
08-16-2005, 09:36 AM
Yea, should be able to make the Thursday scrimmage. Hope to see a running game and a little better job of stopping the run on defense.

KL3
08-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Former and Bulls-eye, here is the write-up from the Brenham Banner Press about the scrimmage.

Scrimmage (http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2005/08/16/sports/sports01.txt)

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Thanks KL3 for the link. The picture looks like our boys were bigger than their boys?