PDA

View Full Version : UIL Classification Question

BullFrog Dad
08-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Is there a limit as to how many As a football team can play up or down? For instance, can a 2A school play a 5A school in non-district?

vet93
08-12-2005, 01:29 PM
I believe that the only limit is the common sense of the coaches involved.

c-town_balla
08-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Yes, Thrall a 1A school played not one but TWO Houston area 4A schools last year

Proof (http://www.texasfootballratings.com/2004Class4Avs1A.html)

BullFrog Dad
08-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
Yes, Thrall a 1A school played not one but TWO Houston area 4A schools last year

Proof (http://www.texasfootballratings.com/2004Class4Avs1A.html) Thanx c-town_balla! That's the first time I've seen it happen of more than one classification difference.

TexasHSFootball
08-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Currently Port Isabel (3A) plays Los Fresnos (5A) for the Battle of Highway 100

Johnny Utah
08-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Some 3a's can beat some 5a's!!!! 5a's usually do not play lower than 4a, same all the way down. If a 5a plays a 3a, the 5a should win, no win situation for that school!!!

GreenMonster
08-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Some 3a's can beat some 5a's!!!! 5a's usually do not play lower than 4a, same all the way down. If a 5a plays a 3a, the 5a should win, no win situation for that school!!!

Coaches lose jobs by losing to lower classes.

injuredinmelee
08-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Its a no win situation for a school to play another in a lower classification. IF you win you should if you dont your berated. I dont like schools playing lower than their classification. The only excuses are if your out in deep west texas where there aren't many choices of who to play. Look at some of the teams in your area that do this. The ones in this area are the ones that arent playoff worthy or contenders.

duckbutter
08-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Its a no win situation for a school to play another in a lower classification. IF you win you should if you dont your berated. I dont like schools playing lower than their classification. The only excuses are if your out in deep west texas where there aren't many choices of who to play. Look at some of the teams in your area that do this. The ones in this area are the ones that arent playoff worthy or contenders. Or if your like Newton and can't find anyone willing to play. We had a hard enough time finding games when we were 3a much less 2a.

gobblerfan02
08-12-2005, 04:01 PM

Ya, I even remember my dad telling me one year that none of the 5A teams wanted to even try and play 3A Cuero, when we were ranked like 9th in the nation, and nobody wanted to mess with us. Pretty nice for a small town huh?

GreenMonster
08-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
Ya, I even remember my dad telling me one year that none of the 5A teams wanted to even try and play 3A Cuero, when we were ranked like 9th in the nation, and nobody wanted to mess with us. Pretty nice for a small town huh?
That must have been during the Robert Strait era. That dude was B-A-D bad.

Matthew328
08-12-2005, 06:59 PM
I believe FW Carter-Riverside plays a 1A and 2 2A schools

CS_WILDCATS
08-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Carrizo has had Eagle Pass 5a on our schedule the past couple of years. In the mid 80's we scheduled Mission 5a. This was the time when Sonny Detmer was coach and his son Koy was QB. We put a hurt on them.

footballgal
08-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by TexasHSFootball
Currently Port Isabel (3A) plays Los Fresnos (5A) for the Battle of Highway 100

This is due to the fact that Los Fresnos was once in the same classification as PI. Los Fresnos kept going up in enrollment and are now in their second year of playing in 5A. There is a big time rival in this game, for the last gazillion years, more like 55 years or so. Rumor is that this will be the last time they will play each other. Los Fresnos has beaten PI, the last 7 years or so, (before that, PI had a twenty something winning record against them). It would be so great, for PI to beat them this year, being that it might be the last year. Since LF beat PI the first time after the 20 something time they made a HUGE and nice looking "Battle of 100" trophy, that PI is yet to have at their school. That's why it be great to win this one, Tarpons would get to keep it for all time.:clap: