PDA

View Full Version : The Way the game has changed

fairfield_06
08-12-2005, 12:21 AM
Here are some pieces of an article form espn.com that people might of seen that show how the passing game in football has evolved. This is a talk with Louisville soph quaterback Brian Bhrom

"Suppose a guy throws for 2,700 yards, with 18 touchdowns and 18 interceptions, and completes 53 percent of his passes," I said. "Where would that get him with Bobby Petrino?"

"I think he'd be on the bench," Brohm said. "That wouldn't fly in this system. Efficiency is the name of the game."

Congratulations, Brian. You've just benched Jim Plunkett in his Heisman Trophy-winning season at Stanford in 1970 -- and done it justifiably

Plunkett deserved the hardware he won, but his career passer efficiency rating was an anachronistic 129. Brohm and Louisville starter Stefan LeFors had a combined efficiency rating of 174.4 in 2004, a number that led the nation. The Cardinals' QBs teamed up to complete 71.3 percent of their passes, with 27 touchdowns and five interceptions.
Offensive football steadily has metamorphosed from the Notre Dame box to the single wing to the wing T to the wishbone to the I formation to the run and shoot to the West Coast to the spread, with countless other variations and mutations along the way. Where next, nobody knows. But for today, it's more important than ever to throw the ball -- not just frequently, but efficiently. High completion percentages and low interception totals are the modern imperatives.

Popular football theory says the running game is paramount, but look at the NCAA numbers from 2004. The top seven teams in passing efficiency had an average record of 11-1 and six were ranked in the final Top 25 -- five in the top 10. The top seven teams in rushing yardage had an average record of 7-4, and only four of them were ranked in the final Top 25 -- one in the top 10.

Archie Manning was a folk hero at Mississippi, throwing for 4,753 career yards with 31 touchdowns and 40 interceptions, and completing 53 percent of his passes from 1968-70. His sons, Peyton and Eli, dwarfed daddy. Peyton threw for 11,201 yards with 89 TDs and 33 picks, completing 63 percent. Eli threw for 10,119 yards with 81 TDs and 35 interceptions, completing 61 percent.

The same year Plunkett won the Heisman and Archie Manning finished third, Kansas State quarterback Lynn Dickey finished 10th in the voting -- while throwing an ungodly 28 interceptions with just seven TD passes. A quarterback would be busted down to the scout team before reaching such an interception total today. Nobody threw more than 19 picks in all of Division I-A last year, much less anyone who finished in the Heisman top 10.

How many Notre Dame fans have been dreaming of the Saturday when Brady Quinn starts playing like Joe Montana? Statistically, he's playing better than Joe ever did in a gold helmet. Quinn has 26 career touchdown passes and 25 interceptions in two years; Montana had 25 of each in his entire Notre Dame career. Quinn has thrown for 4,417 career yards; Montana threw for 4,121.

I know a lot of people have already seen this but I just find it crazy about how much things have changed.

GreenMonster
08-12-2005, 12:22 AM
so close to making my goal

c-town_balla
08-12-2005, 12:25 AM
i am going to start posting for no reason to just post

GreenMonster
08-12-2005, 12:26 AM
I mean it all mine

Chef bob
08-12-2005, 12:58 AM
thank you for the inspiring knowledge about Football

sahen
08-12-2005, 01:55 AM
ok..this article did one thing weird...the top teams in running yards vs. teams w/ top pass efficency...i could rush the ball for 300 yards a game but average 4 fumbles and lose bad every game...w/ pass efficency not only do u pass for yardage but u also dont throw the ball to the other team...a good rushing attack can beat a good passing attack....passing attacks have to be on the field to get a rythm and all, while a rushing attack can stay on the field and run time down and keep that other offense off the field...a lotta times this frustrates passing teams and causes them to throw deep unnecessarily because they r not scoring as frequently as other teams....the article fails to mention that many of those top pass efficency teams probably had decent to great rushing attacks as well...u need to have both to compete for a national title...atleast thats the way i see it...the game has evolved but its not completely to pass happy attacks, if it were then Texas Tech would win the big 12 every year, they ahve a good team but they rnt quite to OU or UTs level...

its always best to have a balanced attack...not just run or not just pass, however if you could run the option like nebraska did in the mid to late 90's and early 2000's u might can run and win if you have a great defense too...however its really hard to win championships w/ a pass happy attack...

sahen
08-12-2005, 02:03 AM
in other evolving methods...i think someone should try to bring back the lost art of the drop kick...it has been missing from the game too long and dont tell me that crap about the ball beind oddly shaped now so it cant be executed correctly...if someone practices it can be exectued, it is just harder now...however it seems like an entertaining way to get 3 points...

now im waiting on how many poeple go what? drop kick? you can score 3 points some way other than kicking a field goal???

for the older people that know what ime talkin about (or the younger ones who know too though i doubt there will be much less of them) drop kicks are still legal in the NFL and NCAA though one prolly hasnt been attempted in like 30 years...ok maybe not that long but it could be...im not sure about the rules in High School football on it, i imagine the ref wouldnt know what to do in that situation if it happened for the most part....but if it is legal wouldnt it make an interesting ending to a game? the other team would prolly have that "what the heck is that? and did we just really lose?" look on their faces....

AggieJohn
08-12-2005, 02:12 AM
how would that happen and what would be the advantage of using it

Keith7
08-12-2005, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by sahen
in other evolving methods...i think someone should try to bring back the lost art of the drop kick...it has been missing from the game too long and dont tell me that crap about the ball beind oddly shaped now so it cant be executed correctly...if someone practices it can be exectued, it is just harder now...however it seems like an entertaining way to get 3 points...

now im waiting on how many poeple go what? drop kick? you can score 3 points some way other than kicking a field goal???

for the older people that know what ime talkin about (or the younger ones who know too though i doubt there will be much less of them) drop kicks are still legal in the NFL and NCAA though one prolly hasnt been attempted in like 30 years...ok maybe not that long but it could be...im not sure about the rules in High School football on it, i imagine the ref wouldnt know what to do in that situation if it happened for the most part....but if it is legal wouldnt it make an interesting ending to a game? the other team would prolly have that "what the heck is that? and did we just really lose?" look on their faces....

We used to have a kicker a few years ago that could hit 40 yard drop kicks in practice

sahen
08-12-2005, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
how would that happen and what would be the advantage of using it
alright we have a winner...i knew someone would ask...

you can score a field goal by lining up in a shotgun-like formation (this is the way i would imagine it i guess in the 20s they did it outa power I or wishbone or something but im unsure there) and apparantly, the way i have seen it the guy that gets the ball fakes like he is gonna run or pass, then drops the ball, lets it bounce and then kicks it through the uprights, counts for 3 points just like a field goal...worked in the 20s and 30s better when the ball was rounder and was more common back then....apparantly skilled drop kick guys could kick it from 30-40 yards out consistantly....i dunno if there is an advantage other than to confuse the heck outa everyone nowdays, or to avoid a team w/ a good rush on special teams trying to block a kick....i guess u could have a drop kicker better than ur field goal kicker theoretically...however there really is no real advantage that overcomes the uncertainty of the ball bouncing the wrong way and becoming a fumble or it would still be practiced today....

just an interesting note i thought i'd throw in there....

sahen
08-12-2005, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
We used to have a kicker a few years ago that could hit 40 yard drop kicks in practice
coach never let him do it in a game though hunh?

GreenMonster
08-12-2005, 02:45 AM
notice that the rules too have evolved as the years have passed in order to promote a more aerial attack. Roughing the passer for example didn't exist until roughly 15 years ago. Cornerbacks used to be able to hand check the reciever all the way down the field whereas no corners have a 5 yard window within which to contact the reciever. Etc Etc Etc. I agree with your point of how it is interesting to watch the evolution of the game.

Keith7
08-12-2005, 02:55 AM

nope, he was much more accurate the normal style..

MARLINDOGS
08-12-2005, 04:09 AM
:clap:

GreenMonster
08-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Anyone else have anything they have seen change over the years within the game of football?

HighSchool Fan
08-12-2005, 03:37 PM

same kid hit a 58 yard fg at celina, drop kicking was just for fun in practice.

BullFrog Dad
08-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Anyone else have anything they have seen change over the years within the game of football? Never see a straight away kicker anymore which used to be the norm. It's all soccer-style now. I bet 'The Godfather' had something to do with that!

GreenMonster
08-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
Never see a straight away kicker anymore which used to be the norm. It's all soccer-style now. I bet 'The Godfather' had something to do with that!

Come to think of it, I haven't seen one of those Toe Straps or a Square Toed shoe in years. Nice observation lol.