PDA

View Full Version : Another Heisman Bust :(

PhiI C
08-11-2005, 10:20 PM
Jason White who won the Heisman in 2003 and played on Oklahoma's great teams the past several years announced his retirement today due to injured knees! Sad news indeed! I was sure he was going to be a great one in the NFL. :(

PhiI C
08-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Other Heisman QBs that didn't make it include Andre Ware, Gary Beban and Terry Baker but there are some that did well indeed such as Roger Stauback and Doug Flutie.

GreenMonster
08-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Don't forget Paul Hornung

PhiI C
08-11-2005, 10:26 PM
UT had two Heisman trophy winners - Earl Campbell and Ricky Williams who both went on to have successful pro careers. Williams is still in the NFL.

LH Panther Mom
08-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Okay, I'm confused. Did Jason White ever play a down? Did he sign a contract? If he did neither, how can he retire? :confused: :confused: I'm not questioning you, Phil...just him.

shellman54
08-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Other Heisman QBs that didn't make it include Andre Ware, Gary Beban and Terry Baker but there are some that did well indeed such as Roger Stauback and Doug Flutie.

Don't forget Gino Toretta and Charlie Ward. I know Ward had had a productive career in basketball, but I think he could have gone either way.

mwynn05
08-11-2005, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Jason White who won the Heisman in 2003 and played on Oklahoma's great teams the past several years announced his retirement today due to injured knees! Sad news indeed! I was sure he was going to be a great one in the NFL. :( No he wouldnt have been great in the NFL there was a reason no one wanted him he didn't have the game for the NFL especially with bad knees

shellman54
08-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Okay, I'm confused. Did Jason White ever play a down? Did he sign a contract? If he did neither, how can he retire? :confused: :confused: I'm not questioning you, Phil...just him.

I believe he signed a deal with Tennessee, and was competing for the third QB position, but felt his knees would hold him back too much.

Adidas410s
08-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by shellman54
I believe he signed a deal with Tennessee, and was competing for the third QB position, but felt his knees would hold him back too much.

Tennessee picked him up after Kansas City cut him after 1 mini-camp after he went undrafted. The guy was a joke of a quarterback and after watching him IN PERSON it is obvious why he did not get drafted, he had NO arm strength. He couldn't throw the ball on a line 20 yards to save his life. If not for Mark Clayton and the incredible depth that OU had for receivers and backs then he would have been nothing at all. Not to mention that he had the best OL in the country last year that, until the USC game, kept him safe from defenses and provided him 5+ seconds in the pocket so that he could flutter a pass out to a receiver who pulls another highlight reel catch.

GreenMonster
08-11-2005, 11:37 PM
It goes to show you just how much of a team award the Heisman really is.

lepfan
08-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
It goes to show you just how much of a team award the Heisman really is.

That is true...I have always wondered why they give a reward to one when he could not do the job by himself...IMO it should be given as a TEAM...a team that works together and one without any legal issues. But who asked me? ;)

Johnny Utah
08-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Your telling me that a kid that played QB at Div. 1 Oklahoma was horrible??? He was a bust in the NFL??? 1% of all college players barley make the NFL, I would not call him a bust, or a disappointment!!!! Our values of pros are way off!!! Young man had bad knees, wanted to be able to walk when he is 50!!!! I know a lot of VERY GOOD players that never even sniffed the NFL!!!

HighSchool Fan
08-12-2005, 07:57 PM
he's not a bust or a dissappointment, he was really never that good, just had good players around him. if it came down to him having to win a game, he couldn't do it. he's just played in a QB friendly system.

Txbroadcaster
08-12-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
he's not a bust or a dissappointment, he was really never that good, just had good players around him. if it came down to him having to win a game, he couldn't do it. he's just played in a QB friendly system.

The year he came off the bench to beat Texas was not to bad of a performance for a "below" average QB

Johnny Utah
08-12-2005, 08:11 PM
OU is a QB friendly environment???? He is a leader and winner in my book. Same with Hypel(sp.????). Not a real big OU fan, but to say a kid that won the Heisman is a bust is a little harsh.

HighSchool Fan
08-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
The year he came off the bench to beat Texas was not to bad of a performance for a "below" average QB

when does one performance show greatness. remember Timmy Smith, set the record for most rushing yards in the Super Bowl. put him in the hall of fame, he carried a team 1 time in his career.