PDA

View Full Version : Headed to the Frio for the weekend... what would you take???

big daddy russ
08-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Alright, I don't prepare well for trips. I usually pack the night before or day of the trip and wind up missing a lot of stuff. The only thing I know I won't forget are the ice chests, the beer, and the 15 bottles of liquor. I've also packed:

one pair of underwear, two pairs of shorts, two pairs of boardshorts, three t shirts, towels, toothbrush/toothpaste, deodorant, soap, sleeping bag and pillow.

At least I have an inventory, right? What else should I take? I'm turning to my family on the downlow to help me out.

BTW, we're staying in a furnished cabin.

pirate4state
08-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
one pair of underwear only one pair?? guys have it so easy. :) have fun. list looks complete!

pirate4state
08-11-2005, 01:28 PM
oh, take a first aid kit. :)

SintonFan
08-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Alright, I don't prepare well for trips. I usually pack the night before or day of the trip and wind up missing a lot of stuff. The only thing I know I won't forget are the ice chests, the beer, and the 15 bottles of liquor. I've also packed:

one pair of underwear, two pairs of shorts, two pairs of boardshorts, three t shirts, towels, toothbrush/toothpaste, deodorant, soap, sleeping bag and pillow.

At least I have an inventory, right? What else should I take? I'm turning to my family on the downlow to help me out.

BTW, we're staying in a furnished cabin.
All we ever took were 10 cases of beer, a package of hotdogs and a loaf of bread for the weekend.
List looks good except for the food.

AP Panther Fan
08-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Aspirin for the hangover you are going to have!:D

Also, how about baggies. Whenever we float the Comal, I put stuff I want to stay fairly dry in a baggy, and then in an icechest.

big daddy russ
08-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Aspirin for the hangover you are going to have!:D
Good call. One of my buddies has some pills called Chasers that you take before you drink and you won't get a headache. I'll steal them from him.:D

IHStangFan
08-11-2005, 01:37 PM
yup...you need burgers and dogs Russ, and tubes......or are you just gonna rent em?? also...tunes...gotta have tunes. flipflops are a must, shades, and a "river hat"

sinton66
08-11-2005, 01:38 PM
SUNBLOC, Russ. Don't forget to take it, and use it on your legs and feet. You'll thank me for this later.

LH Panther Mom
08-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Sunscreen

Keith7
08-11-2005, 01:39 PM
where is Frio??

IHStangFan
08-11-2005, 01:39 PM
by the way, i'm jealous ;)

SintonFan
08-11-2005, 01:40 PM
Good call. One of my buddies has some pills called Chasers that you take before you drink and you won't get a headache. I'll steal them from him.:D
I tried those once. I woke up the next day feeling "under the influence". The best remedy is to drink two large glasses of water before you turn in and viola no headache.

LH Panther Mom
Originally posted by sinton66
SUNBLOC, Russ. Don't forget to take it, and use it on your legs and feet. You'll thank me for this later.

GMTA! :p

big daddy russ
Originally posted by IHStangFan
yup...you need burgers and dogs Russ, and tubes......or are you just gonna rent em?? also...tunes...gotta have tunes. flipflops are a must, shades, and a "river hat"
You know I'm covered on the flip flops, B... bringing two pairs with me. I already own a tube... thanks for reminding me.

Also, I burned a couple of CDs for the trip. Of course two are just old George Strait songs. One has some Steve Wariner, some Restless Heart, some old Clint Black and some Tracy Lawrence. Who else should I throw on there?

Tiger90
08-11-2005, 01:41 PM
Where ya staying on the Frio? I was there last month in the 7 Bluffs area (7miles down from Garner St. Park). Water was a tad low but tubeable if that is a word. With the rain it should be great.

IHStangFan
08-11-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
. you lost me at "G" :doh:

big daddy russ
08-11-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Tiger90
Where ya staying on the Frio? I was there last month in the 7 Bluffs area (7miles down from Garner St. Park). Water was a tad low but tubeable if that is a word. With the rain it should be great.
Frio Country. Me and about 15 buddies have the Casa Grande for the weekend.

Bandera YaYa
08-11-2005, 01:43 PM
Ha...I am the ultimate packer....just ask jason......You say the cabin is furnished....but you should bring extra towels...can't have enough towels...Are you cooking??
I'd bring plastic silverware, paper towels, toilet paper, paper plates, yes, baggies (omg always bring baggies), first aid kit, sunscreen, sunglasses, chigger stuff, OFF, more towels, MORE UNDERWEAR, toothpicks, fruit, snacks, more towels, kitchen knife, flashlight and extra batteries, bottled water, good book to read, map on how to get there (you know you won't ask your wife), iron, hair dryer, baby oil, alcohol, candy, jerky, cards, dominoes, poker stuff, eye drops, extra pair glasses or contacts, contact solutions, red rubbers (ask RM!) and extra tubes in case you lose yours. Might want a few more towels.....That should do it, now shall we discuss the food?????? :D :D

pirate4state
08-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Ha...I am the ultimate packer....just ask jason......You say the cabin is furnished....but you should bring extra towels...can't have enough towels...Are you cooking??
I'd bring plastic silverware, paper towels, toilet paper, paper plates, yes, baggies (omg always bring baggies), first aid kit, sunscreen, sunglasses, chigger stuff, OFF, more towels, MORE UNDERWEAR, toothpicks, fruit, snacks, more towels, kitchen knife, flashlight and extra batteries, bottled water, good book to read, map on how to get there (you know you won't ask your wife), candy, jerky, cards, dominoes, poker stuff, eye drops, extra pair glasses or contacts, contact solutions, red rubbers (ask RM!) and extra tubes in case you lose yours. Might want a few more towels.....That should do it, now shall we discuss the food?????? :D :D :eek: :eek: Oh My!! That is quite a haul. :thinking:

LH Panther Mom
08-11-2005, 01:46 PM
you lost me at "G" :doh:

I swear I "quoted" 66 about the sunscreen, but it came up with me quoting you instead. :doh: Great Minds Think Alike

IHStangFan
08-11-2005, 01:47 PM
You know I'm covered on the flip flops, B... bringing two pairs with me. I already own a tube... thanks for reminding me.

Also, I burned a couple of CDs for the trip. Of course two are just old George Strait songs. One has some Steve Wariner, some Restless Heart, some old Clint Black and some Tracy Lawrence. Who else should I throw on there? well...being a resident of College Station...no Frio trip would be complete w/out a little R.E.K. and maybe...just MAYBE some Max Stalling considering the geographical significance of the Frio in relation to Max's roots.

Bandera YaYa
I just read the part about going with 15 of your buddies.......you'll never get there.......call me....I'll give you directions over the phone. :p :D :D

IHStangFan
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I swear I "quoted" 66 about the sunscreen, but it came up with me quoting you instead. :doh: Great Minds Think Alike ah hell....okay, LOL.

Tiger90

I was at River Oaks just across the street. Float time was 2 hours from Cherokee crossing to Frio Country bridge, 3 hours to Neal's of course that was just before the rains.

Supertilley
08-11-2005, 01:53 PM
went there just last weekend. My friend got a bactiera from the water. he was throwing up for days. There seems to be alot of alge in the water right now.

IHStangFan
08-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Supertilley
went there just last weekend. My friend got a bactiera from the water. he was throwing up for days. There seems to be alot of alge in the water right now. hmmm...must mean the river is slow/low.....wont be much fun to tube.....86 the trip Russ...sounds boring....no Dodge Rams in tree tops, no waterlines 40ft up cliff faces..... :p

Bandera YaYa
08-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Supertilley
went there just last weekend. My friend got a bactiera from the water. he was throwing up for days. There seems to be alot of alge in the water right now. Oh then...medicene....take Tylenol, anit-bacterial soap and wipes, Pepto, Imodium D, tums, benedryl, allergy pills, Q-tips and more towels.

Bandera YaYa
08-11-2005, 01:59 PM
hmmm...must mean the river is slow/low.....wont be much fun to tube.....86 the trip Russ...sounds boring....no Dodge Rams in tree tops, no waterlines 40ft up cliff faces..... :p Big rains yesterday....might help get them Rams in the trees!!!!! :p :D

Phantom Stang
08-11-2005, 02:00 PM
I'd bring plastic silverware, paper towels, toilet paper, paper plates, yes, baggies (omg always bring baggies), first aid kit, sunscreen, sunglasses, chigger stuff, OFF, more towels, MORE UNDERWEAR, toothpicks, fruit, snacks, more towels, kitchen knife, flashlight and extra batteries, bottled water, good book to read, map on how to get there (you know you won't ask your wife), iron, hair dryer, baby oil, alcohol, candy, jerky, cards, dominoes, poker stuff, eye drops, extra pair glasses or contacts, contact solutions, red rubbers (ask RM!) and extra tubes in case you lose yours. Might want a few more towels.....That should do it, now shall we discuss the food?????? :D :D
Seems you left off the tv, couch,recliner, bedroom suite,dining table with chairs, and a refrigerator.:p

Tiger90
08-11-2005, 02:01 PM
River is up. Should be great tubing.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?site_no=08195000

Bandera YaYa
08-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Seems you left off the tv, couch,recliner, bedroom suite,dining table with chairs, and a refrigerator.:p Well now we can talk U-hauls if we need to....... :D

IHStangFan
08-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Big rains yesterday....might help get them Rams in the trees!!!!! :p :D last time i was up there...was after some big rain to the north about a year or so ogo......truck in the trees, campers that were busted into pieces in the trees...picnic tables in the trees.....it was nuts.

AP Panther Fan
08-11-2005, 02:05 PM

ROFLMAO...this is one of the funniest posts I have read in a long time!:D

Russ, don't forget to go put a deposit down on the U-Haul and YaYa, next time I take a trip, I will need this list again!:evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh

IHStangFan
08-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Tiger90
River is up. Should be great tubing.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?site_no=08195000 hmmm....wonder where the alge is forming then....must be somewhere upstream that the river is slowing to the point where it can form.

Tiger90
08-11-2005, 02:07 PM
last time i was up there...was after some big rain to the north about a year or so ogo......truck in the trees, campers that were busted into pieces in the trees...picnic tables in the trees.....it was nuts.

Some of them still are. Seen a paddle boat from Garner still on the bank smashed. It is just up and across the river from where the huge cypress trees are. If you been on this section of river you know which trees I am talking about.

Bandera YaYa
08-11-2005, 02:11 PM
ROFLMAO...this is one of the funniest posts I have read in a long time!:D

Russ, don't forget to go put a deposit down on the U-Haul and YaYa, next time I take a trip, I will need this list again!:evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh Oh heck, this aint a REAL list......this is just off the top of my head.....you should see my REAL list...give me a few days notice, and I'll construct a REAL one for ya! :D

Maroon87
08-11-2005, 02:14 PM

We sayed there in mid-June, at the "Redneck Riviera" cabins...had a blast!:cool: We used some tubes that we bought at Academy (they're also at Sam's I hear) that are basically like a tube and a lawn chair all rolled into one...with zipper pockets and drink holders to boot! I can't remember what they're called, though...

AP Panther Fan
08-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Oh heck, this aint a REAL list......this is just off the top of my head.....you should see my REAL list...give me a few days notice, and I'll construct a REAL one for ya! :D

LOL! Ahhhh, to be organized!

Last overnight trip to Houston, I even forgot my toothbrush and had to go beg the guy at the front desk. Comfort Inns have them, by the way.:D

Russ, I have looked at the Frio Country website before....all nice facilities. I have a cousin from Ingleside that goes there every summer, but I can't remember which cabin they get. :thinking:

Maroon87
08-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Oh yeah...take a lot of CDs. The radio reception is very iffy over there. We load up on George Strait.:cool: :clap:

IHStangFan
08-11-2005, 04:04 PM
LOL! Ahhhh, to be organized!

Last overnight trip to Houston, I even forgot my toothbrush and had to go beg the guy at the front desk. Comfort Inns have them, by the way.:D

Russ, I have looked at the Frio Country website before....all nice facilities. I have a cousin from Ingleside that goes there every summer, but I can't remember which cabin they get. :thinking: i'm pretty sure that the people that own the Beverage Barn in Ingleside do or DID own Frio Country at one point.

ej2525
08-11-2005, 04:07 PM
red rubbers (ask RM!) :D :D

HA, HA, HA!!! I forgot about that story!!!!

big daddy russ
08-11-2005, 04:10 PM
i'm pretty sure that the people that own the Beverage Barn in Ingleside do or DID own Frio Country at one point.
Still do, B. They have a house in IOB.

IHStangFan
08-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Still do, B. They have a house in IOB. i thought so, but wasnt for certain.

AP Panther Fan
08-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Casa Grande (http://www.friocountry.com/frame.htm)

Hope this link works, I am really jealous now!;) :D

pirate4state
08-11-2005, 04:18 PM

Hope this link works, I am really jealous now!;) :D :eek: sweet...now that is what I call "camping" :D

AP Panther Fan
08-11-2005, 04:22 PM

Hope this link works, I am really jealous now!;) :D

the link didn't work like I thought it would...I was actually on the Casa Grande picture page.:confused:

pirate4state
08-11-2005, 04:24 PM
the link didn't work like I thought it would...I was actually on the Casa Grande picture page.:confused: eh, I figured it out...its all good. :)

GreenMonster
08-11-2005, 10:00 PM
just alcohol, if you get drunk enough it won't matter if your underwear is clean or even if it's yours!!!

MARLINDOGS
08-11-2005, 10:08 PM
Make sure you have health insurance.

SintonFan
08-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:eek: sweet...now that is what I call "camping" :D
lol
True "camping" is at Bee's Camp.:clap:

big daddy russ
08-14-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by MARLINDOGS
Make sure you have health insurance.
I needed it. Can't beat the battle scars from the Frio. Had a great time... mangled my forehead and nose. Pics on the way.

pirate4state
08-15-2005, 09:05 AM
I needed it. Can't beat the battle scars from the Frio. Had a great time... mangled my forehead and nose. Pics on the way. :eek: uh-oh...hope it wasn't too serious...:doh: