PDA

View Full Version : What happened to James Battle?

cdlvj
08-10-2005, 01:39 PM
No longer at TCU?

Keith7
08-10-2005, 01:46 PM
I heard he was competeing for the 3rd string spot in the spring, but ended up leaving the team for personal reasons

Keith7
08-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Former Ryan stars Battle, Williams looking for new beginning at Stephen F. Austin

01:19 AM CDT on Sunday, August 7, 2005

By Chuck Cox / Staff Writer

Their reasons for transferring might have been slightly different, but it appears as though former Ryan quarterback James Battle and defensive end Calcius Williams have landed in the right place at the right time.

Battle and Williams are now at Stephen F. Austin State University, a Division I-AA program in Nacogdoches. Battle came from TCU after two seasons, while Williams transferred from Missouri after just one. By moving from Division I-A programs to Division I-AA, both players are eligible to play this season and both were on the field for SFA's first day of practice on Friday.

First-year Lumberjack head coach Robert McFarland said both Battle and Williams, two of nine Division I transfers for SFA this season, will have the opportunity to compete for starting jobs. The Lumberjacks open the year with a Sept. 1 home game against Henderson State.

“What James did in high school was just remarkable — three straight championship games and two titles,” McFarland said. “I told him that if he got us to three straight national championship games he would be allowed to lose the first one. We're very excited to have James.”

Battle, an all-state quarterback who was 42-2 as a starter and led Ryan to three straight Class 4A state championship game appearances and back-to-back titles in 2001 and '02, was redshirted his first year with the Horned Frogs. Last year, he could not crack the depth chart and didn't play a single snap in a game.

“I felt like I couldn't be me at TCU,” Battle said. “When I first got there, I felt that way but didn't say anything. I wanted to give it another year but, basically, it wasn't the place for me. It's nothing personal against the coaches at TCU.”

Battle said he felt as if he wasn't going to have an opportunity to play for the Horned Frogs any time soon, which was the biggest factor in his decision.

“I feel like I have a chance now,” he said. “It's just like my first year coming in here. I'm just learning the offense. I'm really liking it here. It's not a big town, but everything here and all of the people in the community are nice.”

Battle will be competing for the starting quarterback job with fifth-year senior Zeke Dixon, who has started a total of nine game in his career at SFA, and Danny Southall, who was redshirted by the Lumberjacks last season.

Battle said he decided on SFA because he wants to become a coach after his career is over and also because of some Ryan ties to the school. He said he talked about SFA to Ryan head coach Joey Florence and Keller head coach Kevin Atkinson, who was Ryan's offensive coordinator when Battle was in high school. Atkinson played for the Lumberjacks in 1990.

Williams, a one-year starter for the Raiders, was redshirted in his first season at Missouri last year. Two other former Ryan players, defensive end Brian Smith and running back Earl Goldsmith, are still at Missouri. Williams' decision to transfer came about a week before practice started.

“I wanted to be a little closer to home,” Williams said. “Having James here is kind of like being in high school again. I'm excited about having a chance to play more, too. It's exciting.”

McFarland said Williams will be competing for a spot on a defense that gave up an average of 23.3 points per game last season and returns just six starters. SFA went 6-5 overall but just 1-4 in Southland Conference play in 2004.

“Calcius definitely has a chance to play,” McFarland said. “Our defense needed some help.”

CHUCK COX can be reached at 940-566-6872. His e-mail address is ccox@dentonrc.com.

kaorder1999
08-10-2005, 02:00 PM
he was released from TCU.......now at SFA