PDA

View Full Version : Texas/OU Red River Shootout...has been changed!

pirate4state
08-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Texas-OU: The game’s the same but not the name
By Cedric Golden | Wednesday, August 10, 2005, 11:16 AM

I just love it when the NCAA college presidents dismiss talk of a postseason with excuses such as: “We want to protect or student-athletes. We don’t want to commercialize college football like the NFL.”

That’s refreshing.

By the way, Southwestern Bell has re-upped its $$ sponsorship of the annual Texas-Oklahoma showdown in Dallas. And it has changed the name slightly of what used to be the SBC Red River Shootout. For the next three years, the game will be called the SBC Red River Rivalry.

Whatever we call it, this year’s game, on Oct. 8, will be the 100th meeting of Texas and OU in football.

:hand: So stupid! :rolleyes:

If it ain't broke...

RdaleBoi08
08-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Thats Stupid to change the name!

BHBrave08
08-10-2005, 01:26 PM
I agree. Thats dumb.

Pmoney
08-10-2005, 02:09 PM
I dont understand why they changed the name:confused:

KTJ
08-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Well it is a Rivalry. OU is UT's #1 rival and I'm pretty sure UT is OU's #1 rival. (They beat Okie State in just about everything sans wrestling.)

Look for the RRS to possibly become a Home/Home within a few years. :(

tc8232
08-10-2005, 02:28 PM
what i dont understand is that i work for sbc and they can shell out millions of dollars to sponsor a bowl yet they are laying off thousands of people that need to support families. the last 3 months i have come to work every day not knowing if i have a job, or where it will be.. so stressfull

underware
08-10-2005, 02:33 PM
I guess I don't understand why they changed the name because I never did my summer reading?

/Cliff Notes Rule!

GUNHO
08-10-2005, 02:35 PM
It will always be the shootout to me.I don't care what other people call it.:p

chubbed_up
08-10-2005, 03:54 PM
wow thats dumb

Gobbla2001
08-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Shootout had a ring to it... that's for sure...

But by football terms, I can't recall any of the last 5 games being 'Shootouts'...

Can anyone tell me how long the name has been 'Shootout', cuz I dunno... if it's been more than 20 years, I say 'why the heck change it'... however, if less than that I believe that Rivalry is fitting and that this is a change that isn't negative...

gobbler grad
08-10-2005, 07:12 PM
awgh...just leave things the way they are...

lepfan
08-10-2005, 10:35 PM
I am sure someone thought that the term "shootout" would offend some so they decided to try to make it more politically correct.

GreenMonster
08-10-2005, 10:45 PM
ttt

sahen
08-11-2005, 12:21 AM
i'll put 10 dollars on the commentators still saying "Red River Shootout" when they play it...somethings dont change....

jason
08-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by lepfan
I am sure someone thought that the term "shootout" would offend some so they decided to try to make it more politically correct. saying 'shootout' promotes gun violence and it offends me.....kinda like RangerMoms sig.... :D :D

spiveyrat
08-11-2005, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Well it is a Rivalry. OU is UT's #1 rival and I'm pretty sure UT is OU's #1 rival. (They beat Okie State in just about everything sans wrestling.)

Look for the RRS to possibly become a Home/Home within a few years. :(

I find it funny when I pass thru OK how many upside down longhorn decals etc I see on cars and such. The funny thing is sometimes there are no OU stickers etc visible, only the upside down longhorns. Lots of hate for the longhorns but no love for the "home team"? :thinking:

bevo
08-11-2005, 11:12 AM
When realistically, you only have college football and no professional football in a state, most folks jump on the collegiate bandwagon (example, take Nebraska & Arkansas, etc) regardless, if neither one does not beat say TEXAS or any other Texas collegiate football team for that fact, they’ll be looking for another coach more than likely, SOONER (kind of catchy huh?) or Later. Again, take Nebraska & Arkansas as an example. With OU there is no exception either. So you can understand the hatred that they may (WILL) have with UT. One of the major driving factors: (UT for the most part has been advantageous with OU over the Century)

UT vs. OU

TEXAS 55 (wins)
OKLAHOMA 39 (wins)
5 ties between the two.

UT vs. OK ST.
(17-2-0)

UT vs. ARKANSAS
(55-21-0)

UT vs. NEBRASKA
(6-4-0)...with the longhorns winning 5 out of the last 6.

...and TEXAS will win the 100th meeting between OU.

HOOK’EM HORNS…

lepfan
08-11-2005, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
I find it funny when I pass thru OK how many upside down longhorn decals etc I see on cars and such. The funny thing is sometimes there are no OU stickers etc visible, only the upside down longhorns. Lots of hate for the longhorns but no love for the "home team"? :thinking:

Get off the interstate and you will see LOTS of them. We went to OKC last week...it seemed that every car I saw to, from and while there had some sort of OU sticker or tag on it. I never did see the upside down longhorn. The only orange I saw was on OSU stickers. I found it funny when we moved up here that I see several of those upside down longhorns on cars....

GreenMonster
08-11-2005, 11:57 PM
my turn

KTJ
08-12-2005, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat

There's another school that does this with upside down Horn stickers and whatnot, and I think you know who I'm talking about.

More hate for a school than love for your own. Wow.

lepfan
08-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

More hate for a school than love for your own

I don't think that is the case with OU...some may want to think it is...but it is not.