PDA

View Full Version : This just in....Gilmer thanks Jasper for a new wrinkle.

nutcrackin
08-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Rumor has it that Gilmer is toying with the idea of incorporating the three back offense where they may snap it to any of the 3 out of the shotgun formation. They will use this along with their normal spread attack. WOW. Their new QB is the fastest player on the team so why not.

spiveyrat
08-10-2005, 01:08 PM
They say imitation is the best form of flattery. That's an interesting rumor.

BHBrave08
08-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Gilmer will be a fun team to watch if they actually start doing that.:thinking:

nutcrackin
08-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Could be "just" humor but who knows??
Maybe we will wait all season to use it, then, bring it out against ya'll in the "Rematch at Nac" in December. Would be ironic huh? Oh yeah.. with the disolvement of Wilmer Hutchins and Dallas Madison not picking up any of their players, that makes Region 2 look much more forgiving. Tatum, Atlanta and Gilmer in Div. II.

YBS
08-10-2005, 01:32 PM
What's funny is, I was never a huge fan of our shotgun/2RB direct snap sweep. It seemed like it was turnover-prone early in the season.

spiveyrat
08-10-2005, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by nutcrackin

Maybe we will wait all season to use it, then, bring it out against ya'll in the "Rematch at Nac" in December. Would be ironic huh?

I don't think it could happen that way. It took us a lot of the season to really make it work for us. As YBS said, we were very turnover prone early on before we started to really make it work for us. That is an offense you HAVE to keep in practice every day. There's just not enough hours in the day to have high-schoolers running two completely different offenses... especially when this is one of them!

nutcrackin
08-10-2005, 02:18 PM
How hard is it to snap it to one guy an remember where to run? Our guys run a very sophisticated Offense already. I don't suspect it will interfere and will be seldom used. Just a wrinkle.

GreenMonster
08-10-2005, 06:39 PM
This sounds to me like "Old School" Straight T formation football first used by the Chicago Bears in the early forties. It was a variation off of the famous Single Wing offense of early football. The Wing T offense has been much more widely used in Texas HS football circles and is a different variation that combines the Straight T and the Single Wing offenses. The Wing T is the offense that moved the QB under center as both of it's parents used a direct snap method. Reguardless, it's pretty cool and very effective.

Hupernikomen
08-10-2005, 07:13 PM
I didn't see a need for change in Gilmer's offense.

Jasper's offense worked well because they have numerous athletes that can run or throw. I would expect Gilmer can do the same, but like I said what they did last year was nothing short of A+++.

nutcrackin
08-10-2005, 07:19 PM
who ever mentioned CHANGE? Only "adding a new wrinkle" maybe.... stay tuned.

j_dog
08-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Very interesting if Gilmer picks it up. As I recall, last year Jasper only ran the formation periodically. I don't think they used it at all against Yoe. They were apparently saving it for Gilmer. ;) I think yes they did use it against WOS, and had great success in the first half; and imploded in the second half. No formation is any good if you don't execute.

GS#17
08-10-2005, 07:55 PM
I seem to remember watching them use it in their scrimmage against NED and thought they would use it a lot more against WOS than they did. It's a good play.

YBS
08-11-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by nutcrackin
How hard is it to snap it to one guy an remember where to run? Our guys run a very sophisticated Offense already. I don't suspect it will interfere and will be seldom used. Just a wrinkle.

No one is saying the offense is complex. For Jasper, it turned into a high-risk play that uses your QB and alternate RB as lead blockers. The center has to be accurate with his snaps, and the RB has to be good at catching snaps...that's all. At the end of the day, it's just a sweep but the snap can be tricky esp. if the center gets pre-occupied by defensive audibles and his pre-block assignment. If Gilmer uses it, best of luck...except against us.

IHStangFan
08-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by BHBrave08
Gilmer will be a fun team to watch if they actually start doing that.:thinking: from everything ive read and heard...i would have to agree.

GreenMonster
08-11-2005, 10:03 PM
sounds like a dangerous play to me

j_dog
08-11-2005, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
sounds like a dangerous play to me
it is beautiful when it works! :)

GreenMonster
08-12-2005, 12:05 AM
I'm in control here

MARLINDOGS