PDA

View Full Version : Demarcus Ware and Kevin Burnett

nutcrackin
08-10-2005, 12:43 PM
I will go out on a limb and say that these two guys will be battling for the team lead in sacks, tackles and FF. Ware is 6'4 251 lbs. ran a 4.51 at the combine, benched 225 an amazing 27 times while Burnett is 6'3 240lbs with a 39 inch vertical, runs a 4.55 and scored a 30 on the wonderlic test. 3 Time Academic All American at UT (Tennessee) that is. Burnett has played in coverage so I will give him the edge there but Ware will be a terror on QB's as evidence by beating Flozell on consecutive one on one pass rush drills for a would be sack. Oh yeah. Here are the official workout numbers:

AGILITY (Ware)

4.51 in the 40-yard dash (wind-aided) … 4.56 in the 40-yard dash (normal conditions) … 430-pound bench press … Bench pressed 225 pounds 23 times … 570-pound squat … 360-pound power clean … 4.27 20-yard shuttle … 7.08 three-cone drill … 38½-inch vertical jump … 10-foot-7 broad jump … 34-inch arm length … 10-inch hands … Right-handed.

AGILITY (Burnett)

4.63 in the 40-yard dash … 440-pound bench press … 500-pound squat … 300-pound power clean … 33-inch vertical jump … 32 5/8-inch arm length … 9½-inch hands. Has been timed at a 4.48 before knee reconstructive knee surgery prior to junior season.

Consider Jason Babin's numbers as the #1 pick of the Texans in last years combine..

Negatives: Timed speed is deceptive, as the player shed 20 pounds before his workout and generally plays in the 280-pound range … Not as explosive when he's at his playing weight … Shows strength against the run, but does not split the double team or neutralize blockers when engaging in head-up action … Weight-room strength does not translate to the football field (would rather elude than take on the blocker) … Uses his hands well, but is not a hit-and-shed type … Best pass rushing off the edge, as he would rather not take on and defeat the offensive tackle or tight end (tries to throw rather than use shed moves to disengage).

AGILITY TESTS (Babin)
Timed at 4.69 in the 40-yard dash … 460-pound bench press … 540-pound squat … 383-pound power clean … 405-pound incline press … 34-inch vertical jump … 9-foot-8 broad jump … 4.03 in the 20-yard shuttle … 33 1/8-inch arm length … 9 7/8-inch hands … Right-handed.

Bull's-eye
08-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Ware is now running first team and Burnett is battling Al Singletary for the strong side LB. Ware is playing the weak side where he will be able to rush more freely and get more sacks. Burnett will have to cover or rush against the TE. Both look to be very good players, but I look for Ware to have the better numbers.

Old Tiger
08-10-2005, 01:03 PM
What about Spears from LSU?

Rabbit'93
08-10-2005, 01:12 PM
I believe he's a little hurt right now.

nutcrackin
08-10-2005, 01:17 PM
Spears will be great as will "the steal" Chris Canty... all 6'7 and 295 pounds of him will bring back the good ol' memories of "Too Tall" Jones. But in the 3-4 these guys will not rush the passer but yet occupy double teams and hold their ground to free up Dat and his gang of linebackers. Actually Dat should lead the team in tackles by playing the "Will" inside backer opposite the tight end. He should be free to flow because big Jason Ferguson will be taking up his guard and the center.

chubbed_up
08-10-2005, 03:50 PM
that is a beast of a d-end

hutchfan
08-10-2005, 05:10 PM
according to big bill 50% of the defense will be played in the nickel wich is a 42-- 4 down linemen and 2 LB's... so the DE will have thier fair share of opp. to boost thier #'s

nutcrackin
08-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Very true about the 42 or nickel. This is where Ellis and Glover will be terrors. Well rested and ready to get after the QB's. I can only imagine how good our pass rush will be in the nickel with Glover and Spears (only in the nickel) inside with Ellis and Ware as the ends. Ware will just pin his ears back and take off. Canty can play tackle in the nickel also. But I think the biggest advantage will be having Mr. Williams up closer to the line of scrimmage. It's like having an extra linebacker out there but also someone to stay with Westbrook on those quick dumpoffs the Eagles like to use. I can't wait as I am sure Roy is licking his chops again. Should be a fun season with all the depth and young talent.