PDA

View Full Version : Lancaster ISD Suspends 750 who did not complete summer reading

jason
08-10-2005, 07:06 AM
i personally think this is B.S. It's summer time, summer school is for kids who screw around during the school year or for those who are trying to get ahead....

link (http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/dn/education/stories/081005dnmetsuspended.124a7b76.html)

Summer homework causes a fuss

Lancaster ISD: 750 who forgot projects are suspended, get reprieve

12:33 AM CDT on Wednesday, August 10, 2005

By HERB BOOTH / The Dallas Morning News

LANCASTER – Parents are crying foul after a third of all junior high and high school students in Lancaster were suspended for not having done their summer homework.

However, most of the students who were to serve the suspension Tuesday – about 450 at Lancaster Junior High School and about 300 at Lancaster Elsie Robertson High School – were back in school because Lancaster Superintendent Larry Lewis extended their deadline. The first day of school was Monday.

Dr. Lewis, who gave the students until the end of school Thursday to finish their summer assignments, said 80 to 90 percent of students in grades seven through 12 attended class Tuesday.

Stephaney Norman, Lancaster Junior High School principal, said a lot of the students showed up Tuesday with their assignments completed.

She said some of the parents complained that their students had until the end of the week. Ms. Norman said students need more than four days to read a novel and complete the assignment.

"We don't want junk," Ms. Norman said. "We want quality."

In May, students decided on a book from a reading list. The students were asked to complete five activities upon finishing the book.

"Look, we have over a thousand students reading below grade level," Dr. Lewis said. "This is a viable program and helps with comprehension. We will do it again next summer."

Brian Pulver, whose daughter, Julia Chase, is in seventh grade, said he could not understand how an assignment that could merit a suspension if not completed wouldn't have been communicated to parents.

"The problem is the district sends letters and notes through students," Mr. Pulver said. "There's not enough communication between the teachers and the parents."

Dr. Lewis said the students need to take some responsibility.

"We talked all spring about this," Dr. Lewis said. "We talked about it at town hall meetings, at concerts, everywhere. Seventh- through 12th-graders should take some responsibility. The students need to tell their parents."

"The suspensions were news to everyone," Mr. Pulver said. He also said initially students were required to complete two activities on the book. "They changed it to five."

Parents also complained that one of the books on the reading list, Fallen Angels, a Vietnam War novel, contained racial epithets and foul language.

Dr. Lewis said the district should have reviewed the book more completely. He said the book wouldn't be on any future reading lists.

Adriana Cazares, whose son Roland is in seventh grade, said that when Dr. Lewis talked to parents Monday night and Tuesday morning, the superintendent was acting like the incomplete assignments were the parents' fault.

"I take offense to that," Ms. Cazares said. "What's sad is a lot of undocumented workers live in this community and they'll just let the suspensions go on their kids' records. They'll end up dropping out, and there goes another lost child."

Ms. Cazares said a dozen or so parents met with Dr. Lewis Monday night to address the issue.

Ms. Cazares said Dr. Lewis dismissed what the parents had to say.

"We were completely shocked," she said.

Dr. Lewis said a letter about the Summer Reading Initiative was on the district's Web site all summer.

The letter, written by Pat Sadberry, the district's director of teaching and learning, references a parent meeting that was held May 24 in the high school auditorium to discuss the district's Summer Reading Initiative.

The letter also states all assignments must be submitted the week of Aug. 8 to the student's English teacher. It also states that new students to the district will have until the fifth week of school to complete the assignment.

"Statistics show that children who read during the school breaks (particularly the longer summer break) retain their reading skills," the letter states. "The decision has been made to purchase high-interest books at various reading levels to provide students in grades 6 through 11 the valuable opportunity to engage in productive, academic activities over the summer."

E-mail hbooth@dallasnews.com

SUMMER HOMEWORK

Students were asked to perform five of the following tasks as part of their assignment in the Lancaster Summer Reading Initiative:

Decide on five or more criteria by which to judge characters. Design a report card using these criteria and make a separate report card for at least three characters. Include a comment section for each.

Introduce a new character and write a different ending to the novel having this character play a major role.

Create the front page of a newspaper using the significant events from your novel. The newspaper should contain at least five events with headlines, articles and pictures.

Research the historical time period reflected in the novel. List at least 10 new facts or ideas you learned that are not included in the story. Write a letter to the author persuading him or her to include two or three of these facts.

Make a mobile of five characters from the novel. Hang a card beside each that explains the role of the character in the novel.

Produce a three-minute video news report about an incident in the story involving one or more characters.

Design a brochure that advertises your book.

Create song lyrics and music to tell about your book. Record your song.

Make a timeline, sequencing 10 important events that happened in the book. Draw three comic strips that highlight three important events.

Reading list

Seventh grade: Slam! by Walter Dean Myers; Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli; Flight #118 is Down by R.L. Stine; Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements; or When Zachary Beaver Came to Town by Kimberly Willis Holt

Eighth grade: Danger Zone by David Klass; Marisol & Magdeline by Roald Dahl; Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli; Green Angel by Alice Hoffman; or The Glory Field by Walter D. Myers

Ninth grade: Fallen Angels by Walter D. Myers; Crash by Jerry Spinelli; Make Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff; Scorpions by Walter Dean Myers; When She Hollers by Cynthia Voigt; or The Wish List by Eoin Colfer

10th grade: Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick; Loser by Jerry Spinelli; If You Come Softly by Jacqueline Woodson; The Runner by Cynthia Voigt; Toning the Sweep by Angela Johnson; Money Hungry by Sharon G. Flake; or The Summer of Swans by Betsy Byars

11th grade: Tracker by Gary Paulsen; Jesse by Gary Soto; Wringer by Jerry Spinelli; The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson; Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

Macarthur
08-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Jason, which part do you think is BS?

These kids could not read at their current grade level. They were given an assignment over the summer (not at all a difficult one) and they are being held responsible for not completing it. I think the school should stand firm. These parents are sending an awful message to their kids. Just another example of where our society is heading. Parents need to be parents and quit being their kids defense lawyers.

pirate4state
08-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
These parents are sending an awful message to their kids. Just another example of where our society is heading. Parents need to be parents and quit being their kids defense lawyers. :clap: I agree.

Bandera YaYa
08-10-2005, 12:57 PM
Sounds like that school should be in session, 12 months out of the year!!!! Those are horrible reading statistics.....parents need to make sure their kids are doing what they have to do and the school needs to make sure they are teaching the kids to read at the appropriate levels.....not brain surgery here folks........there are enough illiterate people in the US already! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(jason, you know you would have done the assisgnment on time.....you little nerd!!!) :kiss:

AggieJohn
08-10-2005, 01:43 PM
i had to do this in high school but i had to read 5 books and then turn around and read 5 poems and 6 books from the bible, and we had to have it ready by the first day of school\

and i did...

Phil C
08-10-2005, 01:52 PM
I agree that the assignment should be for the ones that really need it or want to get ahead. It appears that these students were behind and that the assigment was met to help them catch up. But the parents should have been notified and if you send notes by way of the students then naturally if it means more work or being grounded or whatever the notes will probably not reach the parents and if kids pick up the mail then it will be intercepted. (I was busted in the mail once in high school because I couldn't intercept the mail because my mother worked at the post office. LOL. But I did what was needed to not get another note sent to them again.) Even though it is more work a phone call to a parent would be more effective. Not all parents have access to a web site.

BHBrave08
08-10-2005, 02:00 PM
I hate summer reading. I think that is is stupid. Homework is for school time not summer time.

spiveyrat
08-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i had to do this in high school but i had to read 5 books and then turn around and read 5 poems and 6 books from the bible, and we had to have it ready by the first day of school\

and i did...

You obviously didn't go to public schools. Not that there's anything wrong with that. My kids will be going to private schools too.

Ranger Mom
08-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Personally, I don't think "homework" should be assigned over the summer. I can see sending home a recommended reading list, but not suspending students because they didn't do it.

IMO, if they didn't focus so much on the dang TAKS test and actually taught "reading, writing and arithmatic" like they used to....maybe our kids would be reading better now!

I wasn't forced to read in school and have a book report or research paper due every 6 weeks like my kids are. I LOVE to read now...you couldn't pay my kids to pick up a book to read, " just because"!

It wasn't constantly forced down my throat, so I enjoy it!

BullFrog Dad
08-10-2005, 02:22 PM
What Lancaster should have done was require the kids to spend a certain amount of hours reading the 3ADL.

Macarthur
08-10-2005, 02:22 PM
RangerMom, I don't think this was intended as "homework". These kids were moderately to severely under the reading level for their grade. To me, the issue is not really the method in which the school did this. They may have been able to come up with a better way.

My issue is with the ignorant parents that yell at schools for trying to educate their kids and then wonder why they can't function in society when they become young adults.

These schools are in a no win situation.

Phil C
08-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
What Lancaster should have done was require the kids to spend a certain amount of hours reading the 3ADL.

Especially the GodFather posts! :)

West22
08-10-2005, 07:54 PM
I think english should be mandatory.

lepfan
08-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Was this homework for regular class or was it for an AP class? I know most AP classes have summer assignments.

jason
08-11-2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by lepfan
Was this homework for regular class or was it for an AP class? I know most AP classes have summer assignments. i doubt there are 750 ap students in the district, so i would assume they're regular classes...but i could be wrong, i highly doubt that though....
90% of students dont even read the assignments read during the actual school year, and they think things will get read on summer vacation ?? give me a break...

sahen
08-11-2005, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
You obviously didn't go to public schools. Not that there's anything wrong with that. My kids will be going to private schools too.
actually he did go to public school...he prolly had an option on what to read...
just because the school allows the Bible as one of it's options doesnt mean it is necessarily a private school...Many historians look to the Bible as an accurate historical book (minus the religious things, im talkin about the wars, what people did from day to do, etc) whether they are Christian or not...also the good book is great for highschool students whether they take it literally or not because it contains examples of almost every literary form, from poetry to prose...i know my highschool recommended everyone read the bible for these reasons..they cant require it unless if they just select certain passages, however they can make it optional...anyways we read it in my public highschool which was a houston area school that had many, many kids that were not Christian and they never complained because it wasnt taught as absolute truth but more like a Shakespearian poem, it was admired for it's literary work...
in my opinion many Christians should read the Bible in this manner too, we always grow up as it being taught as our guide to our religion but many people never appreciate the literary elements and how historically accurate it really is...it really helps you admire the book even more...