PDA

View Full Version : I'm way cool..I caught a College pitcher yesterday

Etexpirate
08-09-2005, 11:42 AM
I got the opportunity to catch Stacy Braddock, pitcher for the Oklahoma Sooner softball team yesterday.
She had come to work with my daughter and to do some practice and to work on her "stuff". For those of you that have never seen her pitch..she has the most amazing wind up and absolutely "owns" her back spin rise ball.
I guess she had seen me catching my daughter earlier.. and she asked if I would catch her..
I was really honored and never once even thought once about why none of the three men, 4 kids or even the dog wasn't on the bucket eager to catch her.. I sure was!!
My daughter throws 65 and has an array of pitches that I catch routinly, so I never thought twice about the difference in speed or finesse..
I would have to say that I am pleased to inform my friends on 3a down low that I didn't pee my pants when the first fast ball came in at 70 mph. It's the little things in life that you can be proud of in these situations..
The good news is that I managed to sit on that bucket and catch her for about 20 mins of the best catching I will probably ever experience. There is nothing more satisfying and exhilerating than when the ball smacks your glove(and not your face) that hard...
I also am now my Daughter's hero..and money just can't buy that kind of cool!!

Phil C
08-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Good job Etex!

District303aPastPlayer
08-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Etexpirate

I also am now my Daughter's hero..and money just can't buy that kind of cool!!

that is the one thing that will never be replaced by this moment.

jason
08-09-2005, 12:05 PM
you should have tried to hit against her :D

i used to umpire for fast pitch softball...even at slower speeds, it hurts like hell when the ball hits you in the shins (i didnt wear shin guards, hehe)...it takes guts to step in and catch for 70+...

Etexpirate
08-09-2005, 12:23 PM
It was pride and ego.. all the wrong reasons..:p

but I couldn't resist..

There is no way I could have hit that pitch.. I still can't belive I caught it..
It's amazing what the survival instinct and the fear of humilation can allow you to accomplish!:D

AggieJohn
08-09-2005, 12:27 PM
exactly, like the time i stepped in front of my whole high school and had to freestyle, let me tell you, i put words together that only webster could define

sicem74
08-09-2005, 12:48 PM
cool etex congrats

Phil C
08-09-2005, 12:55 PM
nm

GWOOD
08-09-2005, 01:29 PM
It's obvious that you love catching. Not everyone does. There are baseball/softball players that will play anywhere but catcher.

I have never caught a college pitcher but I think it would be a blast. Two of my nephews were high school pitchers and I used to love to go to the ballpark and catch them when I was visiting family. My brother and my brother-in-laws thought I was crazy but I loved it and couldn't explain why it was so much fun.

Old Cardinal
08-09-2005, 10:29 PM
To Etexpirate: Thank you for sharing that great experience of yours. By the way, I have nothing but admiration for your Daughter--she is a class act. As I once told her, I am glad that she chooses to embrace the discipline to become one of the college Pitchers that entertain us ole folks!
I can remember seveal decades ago when softball Pitchers rarely hit 60 mph--now many young Pitchers can "pump" at that level. Tell S., to make that ball "dance" again this year and also that her fans will be excited when she secures that covented college scholarship!

Rabbit'93
08-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Card good to see you post. Been a while.