PDA

View Full Version : 3 A Regions by strength

West22
08-09-2005, 06:25 AM
Region 3 strongest, followed by Region 1.Region 2 would be next followed by Region 4. The region 3 should produce both state champions ,however due to the strength of the region they will probably be so beat up after playoffs some other team might slip in .

HighSchool Fan
08-09-2005, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by West22
Region 3 strongest, followed by Region 1.Region 2 would be next followed by Region 4. The region 3 should produce both state champions ,however due to the strength of the region they will probably be so beat up after playoffs some other team might slip in .

that's a lame excuse saying they will be to beat up because of the region they play in. the season hasn't even started and you're already looking for excuses in case a team from that region doesn't win it all.

Phil C
08-09-2005, 08:23 AM
Region 4 has to be extremely tough because our teams have reached the state championships in Division 1 the past five years and even though they lost they still got farther than two other regions each of those years. Plus don't forget Bandera won a state championship too in Division 2 after coming third place in their district - a feat that may never be accomplished again.

texasjeremy
08-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Region 4 has to be extremely tough because our teams have reached the state championships in Division 1 the past five years and even though they lost they still got farther than two other regions each of those years. Plus don't forget Bandera won a state championship too in Division 2 after coming third place in their district - a feat that may never be accomplished again.

I think he meant Region 4 was weak in terms of depth. Which it is.

Phil C
08-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by texasjeremy
I think he meant Region 4 was weak in terms of depth. Which it is.

I don't know. Beware of the Howling Bear!

IHStangFan
08-09-2005, 10:51 AM
I don't know. Beware of the Howling Bear! lets not forget the Greyhounds....everyone knows Greyhounds are fast, and these particular ones are green too.

so i'm gonna start a new saying for you Phil, to go along w/ "Beware of the Howling Bears" ....try this one on for size......

Beware of the speedy green Greyhounds or.... Greyhounds, speed unmatched......

:p ;)

nutcrackin
08-09-2005, 11:01 AM
I know that region II is the least represented but the last two state champs in Div II were from the Piney Woods. (Atlanta and Gilmer) Div. 1 has proven to be a bit weaker in the playoffs based on head to heads during the regular season(Wylie vs. Snyder) and having to play 1 more game makes for a tougher Division. My opinion but these are facts to back it up.

chubbed_up
08-09-2005, 11:05 AM
i personally dont think that either is stronger than the other. div 1 beats div 2 all the time and visa versa(dont know if i spelled that right)

IHStangFan
08-09-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by chubbed_up
i personally dont think that either is stronger than the other. div 1 beats div 2 all the time and visa versa(dont know if i spelled that right) ive gotta tend to agree w/ chubbed here.......its not as easy as saying "well this team beat this team, so this region is better. there are many factors some of you dont seem to look at when making your " (insert team/district/region here) is better than yours" comments. for instance, teams within certain regions eliminating each other BEFORE they get a chance to play outside the region, for all we know....a team that was elimated by another team in the same region could have actually been a better team than the team that represents the opposing region.......and thats just one factor. so again, its just too hard to compare the regions as a whole to one another.

Phil C
08-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
lets not forget the Greyhounds....everyone knows Greyhounds are fast, and these particular ones are green too.

so i'm gonna start a new saying for you Phil, to go along w/ "Beware of the Howling Bears" ....try this one on for size......

Beware of the speedy green Greyhounds or.... Greyhounds, speed unmatched......

:p ;)

Right you are IHS! Plus the game as I have mentioned is in Taft which increases the risk considerably. The rise of this team as a power in 2A is inevitable.

IHStangFan
08-09-2005, 11:38 AM
Right you are IHS! Plus the game as I have mentioned is in Taft which increases the risk considerably. The rise of this team as a power in 2A is inevitable. yeah, now that theyre 2A, i could see them making some noise and rattling some cages a bit. we'll see though, they still gotta get by the likes of what.....Odem? etc? i cant remember whos 2A down that direction these days.

Gobbla2001
08-09-2005, 12:49 PM

Hmmm... are you one of the ones who also believes that tough scrimmages will prepare a team for the regular season, and a tough regular season schedule will prepare you for district, and a tough district schedule will prepare you for the playoffs?

I've never heard that excuse ever...

I'll admit, Region 4 doesn't have all of the names like the other regions, but we play some ball down here as well...

Region 3 should produce both champions? Wouldn't be shocked if they did, but I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't either...

But since I gotta rank it...

2 and 3 tied for 1st and 1 and 4 tied for 3rd...

Region 3 prolly has the toughest crack (just kidding for every other Reg 3 poster on here, I like Region 3)

nutcrackin
08-09-2005, 01:22 PM
I tend to believe Regions I and IV are more of the sluggers with ground and pound offenses and steady, strong defenses. Regions II and III are more finesse with great team speed and a couple of game changers on most of the good teams. If the sluggers can keep tabs on the game changers then they will have a chance.

BeastoftheEast
08-09-2005, 01:41 PM
I don't know how you can say Region III is the strongest. Last time I checked 3 or the last 4 3A state champs came from Region II and 1 came from Region II. Maybe you should restate that as Region III is the most overrated.

Gobbla2001
08-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by BeastoftheEast
I don't know how you can say Region III is the strongest. Last time I checked 3 or the last 4 3A state champs came from Region II and 1 came from Region II. Maybe you should restate that as Region III is the most overrated.

Strong and Tough are totally different than best...

Hell, there have been years where FSU has been the best team in the nation in college football, yet their division wasn't as tough as a lot of 3A districts that year...

What this post is about is 'How hard is it for a team to get out of the region'... aka 'tough'... All of these teams could get clobbered by the state champion, but was their road as 'tough'?

Rabbit'93
08-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
ive gotta tend to agree w/ chubbed here.......its not as easy as saying "well this team beat this team, so this region is better. there are many factors some of you dont seem to look at when making your " (insert team/district/region here) is better than yours" comments. for instance, teams within certain regions eliminating each other BEFORE they get a chance to play outside the region, for all we know....a team that was elimated by another team in the same region could have actually been a better team than the team that represents the opposing region.......and thats just one factor. so again, its just too hard to compare the regions as a whole to one another.
That's what us Forney folk have been saying for years!!! Now someone else believes that theory so it's got to be.....FORNEY WAS THE 2nd BEST TEAM IN 3A ALL THOSE YEARS!!:D :D

Specklebelly
08-09-2005, 10:13 PM

I'm from one of those gray area schools that go back and forth between region 3 and 4 so I feel I have a valid opinion on the region 4 bias that always seems to be out there. I can honestly tell you that every time districts are drawn every two years, we and every school district in the gray area hope we go to region 4.

Its no slap against the top level talent in region 4 (Sinton, Cuero & Port Isabel), because the top level teams are as good as any in the state. There are however a whole lot of teams that make the playoffs from region 4 that even win a game or two that would not even think of making the playoffs from some of the districts in region 3. You dont understand the "so beat up after the playoffs" comment unless you experience it first hand. If you are a top level team who judges success on how far you make it in the playoffs, you want to be in region 4 because that road to the top is not as difficult.

You boys from Cuero have to admit, after you get by your first round opponent, which is from that Wharton & West Columbia district, you know at least one of your next two games is a cakewalk. Teams do not have that luxury in region 3.

Gobbla2001
08-09-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Specklebelly
I'm from one of those gray area schools that go back and forth between region 3 and 4 so I feel I have a valid opinion on the region 4 bias that always seems to be out there. I can honestly tell you that every time districts are drawn every two years, we and every school district in the gray area hope we go to region 4.

Its no slap against the top level talent in region 4 (Sinton, Cuero & Port Isabel), because the top level teams are as good as any in the state. There are however a whole lot of teams that make the playoffs from region 4 that even win a game or two that would not even think of making the playoffs from some of the districts in region 3. You dont understand the "so beat up after the playoffs" comment unless you experience it first hand. If you are a top level team who judges success on how far you make it in the playoffs, you want to be in region 4 because that road to the top is not as difficult.

You boys from Cuero have to admit, after you get by your first round opponent, which is from that Wharton & West Columbia district, you know at least one of your next two games is a cakewalk. Teams do not have that luxury in region 3.

Wimberly took us down to the wire... Sinton was in the top 10, took us down to the wire during pre-district... those were our 2nd and 3rd round matchups... not cake-walks...

I'd say if we were district 29 that you could be right, after 30 there would be a cakewalk (Minus PI)... but 27 and 30 offer us none of those...

I agree with Region 3 being a 'tougher' region, though... not to say their teams are better, but that a lot of them are on the same level... maybe not as good as the others, but will give them a fight...

Yah, there are some cakewalks in Region 4, maybe more than other regions, but when it comes down to it, you're not getting out of region 4 without playing a great team...

Gobbla2001
08-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Also, if we would have beat Wharton last year, in the second round we would have played Burnet... cake-walk or cake in the face?

Then if we would have made it past them, it would have been Sinton...

Tougher than it seems...

AggiesAreWe
08-09-2005, 11:06 PM
To sum this thread up, the toughest road to a state title in 3A is through region 3. That's not saying that the best team in the state is in region 3, just that there are more quality teams to face. Nuff said.

Gobbla2001
08-10-2005, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by AggiesAreWe
To sum this thread up, the toughest road to a state title in 3A is through region 3. That's not saying that the best team in the state is in region 3, just that there are more quality teams to face. Nuff said.

I can believe that this is the case most years... but not every year...

BHBrave08
08-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Region 4 has a few very strong teams but Region 3 is the deepest region.

nutcrackin
08-10-2005, 02:23 PM
Everyone that chose a region other than their own say I ...... this is pointless. you have to look at the last five to ten years and look at results (championships) That will be the winner.

Gobbla2001
08-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by nutcrackin
Everyone that chose a region other than their own say I ...... this is pointless. you have to look at the last five to ten years and look at results (championships) That will be the winner.

I said I...

and this post has nothing to do with championships...

As I mentioned earlier, FSU has won it all in a week confrence, the opposite of a 'tough' confrence... this is not about 'who has the best teams' as much as it is 'who has the tougher road'...

I believe that Region 3 was tougher than Region 4 when Burnet went to state atleast one of those years, but Burnet didn't lose to the region 3 rep Jasper...

'Toughest Region' and 'Best teams', totally different...

IHStangFan
08-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by BHBrave08
Region 4 has a few very strong teams but Region 3 is the deepest region. now this i'd be inclined to agree with.

nutcrackin
08-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Since you alone have the definition of "toughest" region then lets base it upon the definition of toughest teams since teams ultimately make up the regions. What is your or others "toughest" top 5 teams within your region. Then we can get an idea of matchups of sort. As far as region II goes, I would go with the following over the last five to 10 years:

1. Commerce (multiple championships)
2 Gilmer (29-1 record last 2 yrs w/ no district loses in 3 years. )
3.) Tatum (plenty of winning in 2A and continue to be in the Quarters and Semis year in year out.
4.) Atlanta (plays the toughes non district in the state for 3A against 4A powers Marshall, Hallsville and Texas High also Kilgore. State champs in 03'.)
5.) Daingerfield- nuff said. State championships and tougher than a 2 dollar steak. Also a state title in last 10 years...

Top 5 people.. who can compete.

LH Panther Mom
08-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by BHBrave08
Region 4 has a few very strong teams but Region 3 is the deepest region.

I will certainly agree that it might pile up the deepest from Region 3. :D ;)

Gobbla2001
08-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by nutcrackin
Since you alone have the definition of "toughest" region then lets base it upon the definition of toughest teams since teams ultimately make up the regions. What is your or others "toughest" top 5 teams within your region. Then we can get an idea of matchups of sort. As far as region II goes, I would go with the following over the last five to 10 years:

1. Commerce (multiple championships)
2 Gilmer (29-1 record last 2 yrs w/ no district loses in 3 years. )
3.) Tatum (plenty of winning in 2A and continue to be in the Quarters and Semis year in year out.
4.) Atlanta (plays the toughes non district in the state for 3A against 4A powers Marshall, Hallsville and Texas High also Kilgore. State champs in 03'.)
5.) Daingerfield- nuff said. State championships and tougher than a 2 dollar steak. Also a state title in last 10 years...

Top 5 people.. who can compete.

Commerce, one championship, 1999 (so much for your multiple arguement)... Lately? Where are they at?

Gilmer, they've done a great job, but you mentioned two years... Burnet only had two losses in '02-'03, both in the championship game, but I guess you wouldn't wanna look that up because it would go against your arguement...

Tatum? Region 4 has had Sinton the last however many years... I guess they're the 'poor man's Tatum' to you...

Atlanta... they've won state... cool... so did La Grange whenn they were in Region 4... As well as Sealy when they were in Region 4 (3 in a row, I might add)... These teams have now gone on to Region 3 and have gone different routes since (playing most of the same teams they played while in Region 4, so it's not 3 that's keeping them down), but they can easily be Region 4 each realignment...

Daingerfield made the finals in '98, as well as Cuero, who also made it this year... BUTTTT, since we're Region 4, I guess that doesn't count...

You're tough to argue with... you and the scarecrow from the wizard of oz would be great friends....

"if I only had a brain"

As I've said, we do not have the toughest Region all of the time, from what I know, Region 3 has it most of the time, but 1 has it here, 2 has it there and YES, 4 has it every now and then as well... just may not be the same teams over and over like the ones you've mentioned...

You gave me names, I wanna know about teams NOW...

From what I've seen on your list, Atlanta is a maybe and Tatum and Gilmer are legit... Commerce isn't even on the map anymore and Daingerfield fielded the best team ever, 1983, not much the last 10 years minus the loss to Newton in 1998 (D2, bet you didn't know that Mr. Commerce has Multiple Titles)

Well, Cuero, Sinton, Liberty Hill, Yoakum, Port Isabel etc... are legit as well, and I'm sure there are more teams in your region that are just as good RIGHT NOW than the teams that 'were good' that you have mentioned...

gobbler grad
08-10-2005, 07:27 PM

sounds very confident, maybe alittle cocky, but your right, some other team will slip past them...:tongue: :tongue:

nutcrackin
08-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Commerce, one championship, 1999 (so much for your multiple arguement)... Lately? Where are they at?

Gilmer, they've done a great job, but you mentioned two years... Burnet only had two losses in '02-'03, both in the championship game, but I guess you wouldn't wanna look that up because it would go against your arguement...

Tatum? Region 4 has had Sinton the last however many years... I guess they're the 'poor man's Tatum' to you...

Atlanta... they've won state... cool... so did La Grange whenn they were in Region 4... As well as Sealy when they were in Region 4 (3 in a row, I might add)... These teams have now gone on to Region 3 and have gone different routes since (playing most of the same teams they played while in Region 4, so it's not 3 that's keeping them down), but they can easily be Region 4 each realignment...

well.. since you asked about Commerce.. here ya go...

State championships:
1999- Commerce 17 Sealy 10
2001- Commerce 14 LaGrange 11

State runner up:
1995: Sealy 21 Commerce 20
1997: Sealy 28 Commerce 21

Only Sealy was more dominate the last 10 years than Commerce.

State champs: 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997
Runner up: 1999

Those are #1 and #2 teams of the last decade.

What about the scarecrow thing again?

Daingerfield made the finals in '98, as well as Cuero, who also made it this year... BUTTTT, since we're Region 4, I guess that doesn't count...

You're tough to argue with... you and the scarecrow from the wizard of oz would be great friends....

"if I only had a brain"

As I've said, we do not have the toughest Region all of the time, from what I know, Region 3 has it most of the time, but 1 has it here, 2 has it there and YES, 4 has it every now and then as well... just may not be the same teams over and over like the ones you've mentioned...

From what I've seen on your list, Atlanta is a maybe and Tatum and Gilmer are legit... Commerce isn't even on the map anymore and Daingerfield fielded the best team ever, 1983, not much the last 10 years minus the loss to Newton in 1998 (D2, bet you didn't know that Mr. Commerce has Multiple Titles)

Well, Cuero, Sinton, Liberty Hill, Yoakum, Port Isabel etc... are legit as well, and I'm sure there are more teams in your region that are just as good RIGHT NOW than the teams that 'were good' that you have mentioned...

nutcrackin
08-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Some how my comments were combined with Gobbla.. but i have seperated it..

well.. since you asked about Commerce.. here ya go...

State championships:
1999- Commerce 17 Sealy 10
2001- Commerce 14 LaGrange 11

State runner up:
1995: Sealy 21 Commerce 20
1997: Sealy 28 Commerce 21

Only Sealy was more dominate the last 10 years than Commerce.

State champs: 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997
Runner up: 1999

Those are #1 and #2 teams of the last decade.

What about the scarecrow thing again?

"if I only had a brain"

Gobbla2001
08-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Ahhhh, you got me on the Commerce deal, I'll admit that... scarecrow no more...

Sealy also won it in '78 with the help of hall of famer Eric Dickerson, but since it's 3A, I will not hold it against you...

You stumped me dangit...