PDA

View Full Version : Softball Scores

Dulce04
02-17-2004, 11:40 PM
#2 Caldwell beat #10 Bellville 10-0 run-rule in the 6th inning! Brandi C. had 11 K's. Caldwell had 12 hits for the night with 2 errors and Bellville had 3 hits with 4 errors.

middleagecardinal
02-18-2004, 09:48 AM
The rain definatley has effected BC softball. BC played a good Teurlings Catholic team from Lafayette LA Monday night. Because of rain, BC (and others I'm sure) were not able to scrimmage anyone before their season started. It's tough to face a team like that right out of the gate but that's just the way it is. BC lost 4-0. The timing just was not there at the plate. Defense did a good job. Meagan G. pitched 5 innings, 9 K's, 2 hits, 2 runs (1 earned). The non district games don't get any easier...PNG (4A) on the 26th and Kingwood (5A) on March 5th. All things considered, it was a positive outing in my opinion. Can't wait until district and the playoffs.

Old Cardinal
02-18-2004, 06:31 PM
I have a warning for Texas UIL-- in Louisiana the Private schools recruit and scholarship; yet they play in the Districts with the public schools! Consequently, the winners in nearly all brackets in all sports, are the Private schools. Texas is headed thay way and the same thing will happen. The Terlings Catholic HS team was exceptional-hand picked scholarshiped prime players. In fact, their JV can beat 80% of the HS teams that I am familiar with here in Texas. I am now a strong proponent of keeping recruiting-capable private schools separated from the public schools in all District sports. That is the only way to keep the playing fields level...I am excited; however, the 28 HS school "Right side of Texas Tournament" at Ford Park in Beaumont-sponsored by the Hamshire-Fannett and Bridge City Booster Clubs, starts at 11:00 am tomorrow. That is going to be three days of great preseason fellowship for these participating teams.

Old Cardinal
02-18-2004, 06:46 PM
Hamshire-Fannett 11 Silsbee 3: H-F had 5 doubles out of 10 hits. Kayla Camille was the winning pitcher. People wonder why H-F is ranked #5 in the state: that is easy; their team is made up of almost all of one of the Beaumont Blast's three 18 & U Select teams. Yes, they deserve their state ranking-they are a formiable group of team players. Coach Shorty, is a very good seasoned Coach and knows her competition very well.

Dulce04
02-18-2004, 07:25 PM
I'm sorry I have a correction to make. Brandi C. had 13K's and Caldwell only had 1 error, but still 12 hits and bellville had 3 hits and 6 errors.

The Bull
02-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Kirbyville defeated Hardin Jefferson 11 to 1 last night not sure of the stats just know they won. Kirbyville will be tested this Thursday and Friday at the BC-HF tournament. I heard they where in a very tough pool.

Chopblock
02-18-2004, 09:34 PM
Elgin 1 Bastrop 0
Katie Garnett pitched a 2 hit 13K game, she also went 3 for 3 at the plate with 2 singles and a Double

hsfan
02-18-2004, 09:53 PM
barbers hill 3 texas city 1.

someone
02-18-2004, 10:09 PM
Westide 3 Sealy 4 in 8 innings

18handicap
02-18-2004, 10:16 PM
Wharton 12, Bay City 2
Van Vleck 3, Needville 2 (9)
Sweeny 19, Stafford 0
Gonzales 8, Seguin 3
Marion 4, Seguin 0
Sinton 11, Goliad 1

18handicap
02-18-2004, 10:19 PM
Cardinal, I agree COMPLETELY. As someone who is from Texas, but graduated from LSU and coached in Louisiana for 8 years before coming back, I know completely how the private schools rule the roost over there. They think they regulate it, but that is a huge crock. I was at a Class A public school in the New Orleans area and 6 out of the 8 teams in our district were private. We're were still successful, but there were always a couple of the teams who would go 33-1 one year and 5-30 the next year when the coach would change private schools and his team would follow him.

Old Cardinal
02-18-2004, 10:41 PM
18, You are in the business, is there anything that can be done to keep Texas from also becoming the Mecca for Private school recruiters?

Bell_06
02-19-2004, 12:44 AM
Yep Bellville gave up 8 runs in the 6th inning after moving their 3rd pitcher in. Megan P, pitched a great game only giving up 1 earned run in five innings and showed good control of her game. With 6 seniors graduating last year this will continue to be a building year for the Varsity squad. Four of the starting nine saw virtually no varsity field time last year. One returning letterman is currently playing 3rd where she has never played, and did a good job of clean play.

The Caldwall pitcher had a nice rise ball, is she the only pitcher that Caldwell allows to throw?

ALLSPORTSGUY
02-19-2004, 03:24 PM
BC vs. Ana. 22-0

Old Cardinal
02-19-2004, 08:29 PM
Later in the day BC 10 West Hardin 0...In the big pool game of the day, BC who some say are #1 in 3A and Kelly who some say are #1 in the Texas private schools were tied at 1-1 when the 50 minute scrimmage ran out....The 28 team Tournament is wonderful. There were over 60 teams that wanted to come but part of the facilities were already contracted for Baseball this weekend. Next year they have secured the whole facility; look for 60 to 120 teams to be playing in this fun warm up weekend. Some Scores today---Liberty 4 East Chambers 1; Barbers Hill 11 Buna O; Orangefield 2 Newton 1; Bridge City 22 Anahuac 0; Hamshire Fannett 8 Hardin-Jefferson 0; Kelly 5 West Hardin 1; Jasper 16 Deweyville 0; PNG 8 Pineville, LA 0; Vidor 5 Ozen 0; Sulphur 11 East Chambers 0; Barbers Hill 11 West Sabine 0; LC-M 2 Kirbyville 0; Silsbee 4 Port Arthur Memorial 0; Woodville 4 Anahuac 1; Hamshire-Fannett 3 WO-S 1; Newton 2 Liberty 0; Pineville LA 4 Orangefield 0; Huffman-H 16 Ozen 1; H-J 4 Deweyville 2; Bridge City 10 West Hardin 0; Jasper 4 PA Memorial 1; Kelly 3 Kirbyville 0; PNG 0 Sulphur, LA 0; LC-M 6 Woodville 0; H-F 0 Deweyville 0; Huffman-H. 11 Buna 0; Pineville, LA 0 Sulphur, LA 0; Kelly 1 Bridge City 1...Remember these games were pool games that lasted exactly 50 minutes; therefore each team player approx. 3 1/2 to 4 innings-till the clock runs out. It was for preseason practice and most all teams were rotating their various players into the ballgames.

Brahma73
02-19-2004, 09:17 PM
Dulce04:
#2 Caldwell beat #10 Bellville 10-0 run-rule in the 6th inning! Brandi C. had 11 K's. Caldwell had 12 hits for the night with 2 errors and Bellville had 3 hits with 4 errors.Was at this game. The Caldwell pitcher is the real thing and has great stuff - probably D1 stuff! Fully expected the pitching to be ahead of the hitting in this one, especially with the Brahmanettes only having one team practice the day before the game with several starters in basketball. You'll surely see a better Bellville team in the next few weeks. Graduating seniors from last years left holes at first, short and outfield, but these will be filled adequately.

Bellville will be good this year and should be favored to repeat as district champs, however at this point I thing the #10 ranking may be a little fat. Caldwell has a good pitcher, but doesn't look like a #2 team at this point. Quite a few better teams than both of these in the state I'm confident. But time will tell.

Love those Brahmanettes!

Go #13

By the way, Bellville's Pieper crushed a grand slam today at Conroe in the win over South Houston.

18handicap
02-19-2004, 11:44 PM
The way to keep the Private schools out of the UIL is to keep the Legislature from mandating that we have to take them in...and they are trying this every year and are getting closer and closer...

18handicap
02-20-2004, 08:06 AM
Thursday - Calhoun Tournament
Sweeny 5, Goliad 3
Sweeny 6, Van Vleck 3
Palacios 20, Bloomington 0
Palacios 5, Calhoun 3
Yoakum 6, Bay City 2
Cuero 6, Tidehaven 4
Danbury 16, Ganado 0
Van Vleck 12, Ingleside 0

Brahma73
02-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Bellville vs. Wharton tonight at Wharton. Interesting match-up. Bellville bounced back nicely Friday in the Conroe Tournament after early flop vs. Caldwell Tuesday.

Old Cardinal
02-20-2004, 08:46 PM
The 28 team "Right side of Texas" Tournament is above all expectations. The teams ended up in 4 divisions, with two teams advancing to the playoffs tomorrow morning. Bridge City came in the top seed in their Division and will play Port Neches-Groves at 8:30 am tomorrow morning. Pitchers, Godwin and Clinton have given up TWO hits in six ballgames, almost unbelievable! I really enjoyed their little win 4-0 in three innings over Kirbyville the defending state champ of 3A. Crystal and Samantha Gonzalez of Barbers Hill looked good. Lemoine (BC), Jasper #33, and a H-F girl had Home Runs thusfar. Jasper and Huffman-Hargrave had unexpectedly fiesty young clubs....Shalayne Blythe PNG was radar gunning at 63-66 according to the type pitches; she is a dandy with a lot of good moves. Tiny Melissa Verde(Junior) for Kelly was still clocking at 63 mph at the end of pitching two games in a row! Now that is Division I material!

<small>[ February 20, 2004, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Bellville22
02-20-2004, 11:48 PM
Bellville 2, Wharton 0

Bellville Fr. pitcher throws a gem. Maybe 4 or 5 hits, 1 walk I believe. Great job 'Nettes against a pretty solid Wharton club.

RiverRatDad
02-21-2004, 01:36 AM
Congrats to Bellville. Wharton had only 3 K's, B-Ville played good, solid defense. Bellville is a well coached, solid team. Good luck to them this season.

Dulce04
02-21-2004, 11:33 AM
Caldwell as well had previously only had one practice before they went to play Bellville. There were 5 playing basketball with 4 of them being starters...the C, SS, RF and CF. I believe that Caldwell is every bit of a #2 team. We'll see this tuesday when we play LaGrange who I belive is #5(?) in the state and then we're off to the Austin McCallum tournament. Time will tell.

Old Cardinal
02-21-2004, 04:56 PM
At the Ford Park Beaumont Tournament the final surviving teams were Top Four Seeds- LC-M(4A) vs Sulphur LA(5A) and Bridge City(3A) vs PNG(4A)...In the consolation bracket the four teams playing were Hamshire-Fannett(3A) vs Huffman-Hargraves(3A) and Barbers Hill(3A) vs Jasper(3A)...At the time I had to leave- LC-M,PN-G, Hamshire-Fannett, and Barbers Hill were leading in their respective games. The Tounament was a huge success and gave the participating teams some good 55 minute workouts against teams that they most probably will never play again.

<small>[ February 21, 2004, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

3afan
02-22-2004, 10:18 AM
Forney Tournament:
Prosper over Wills Point in the final 5-0 (I got to call that one!)
Forney over Greenville 3-0 for 3rd

Dugoutcoach
02-22-2004, 07:27 PM
EL CAMPO SOFTBALL TOURNAMENT
The Wharton Lady Tigers used their 1-2 pitching punch to take 2nd place in the tourney losing 1-0 to a 4a, pre-season state ranked top ten lady ricebird team in a hard fought, defensive final pitting Casey Matzke(LT) against Cori Bram(ECLR). In the 1st round, Soph hurler Matzke pitched the Lady Tigers to a 3-0 shutout against Lamar Cons. Senior pitcher Alise Priesmeyer then allowed only one earned run to take out Victoria Memorial, a 5a, pre-season top ten team, with a score of 6-3. It was a good "tune-up" weekend for the '03 State Semi-finalist Lady Tigers as they are waiting for additional players to join the club from other sports this coming week (along with some "practice favorable fair weather!").

bhillfan
02-23-2004, 05:26 PM
n/m

tfan10
02-24-2004, 07:52 PM
To comment on the Bellvie vs. Wharton game, Wharton was missing some key players. Senior shortstop Lobpries, one of Wharton's leading hitters, was playing basketball and they were missing their first basemen. They were playing with 3 jv players. I think if the two teams played again with all their players then it would be a different game.

Dugoutcoach
02-24-2004, 08:23 PM
mis/interpr,sorry

<small>[ February 25, 2004, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Dugoutcoach ]</small>

BigChief
02-24-2004, 08:27 PM
Don Maddox Tournament in San Antonio

Gonzales (3A) 2, Garland (5A) 5
Gonzales (3A) 10, Austin Akins (5A) 0
Gonzales (3A) 3, San Antonio Madison (5A) 4

Gonzales goes to 2-2 versus 5A teams, beat Seguin earlier in the week, 8-3.

Old Tiger
02-24-2004, 08:41 PM
I'm not real sure how Rockdale is doing in softball.

Dugoutcoach
02-24-2004, 08:58 PM
Hey 18!Have you gone "mute"? Here's some help!
STATE "TOP TEN" PRE-SEASON RANKINGS:
5A-VICTORIA MEMORIAL(10)
4A-EL CAMPO(4)
3A-SWEENY(8)

St. Joseph 6 at Goliad 2
Wharton 3 Lamar Consolidated 0
Fort Bend Bush at Hallettsville (WON)
Sweeny 0 at Palacios 1
Danbury 3 at Yoakum 0
Edna 0 at El Campo 16
Memorial 9 at Sealy 1
Van Vleck 5 at Calhoun 1
El Campo 4 at Houston Westside 0
Victoria Memorial 3 at Wharton 6
Cuero 2 at St. Joseph 6
Van Vleck 3 at St. Joseph 4
Houston Westside 0 at Memorial 5
Kenedy 23 at San Diego 0
Yoakum 8 at Sweeny 5
El Campo 1 at Wharton 0
Danbury 5 at Palacios 2
(AS REPORTED BY THE VICTORIA ADVOCATE)

Dulce04
02-26-2004, 11:03 PM
Caldwell beats LaGrange 3-1.

RiverRatDad
02-27-2004, 08:44 PM
Crossroads Tourny - Victoria
Pool games - Pool A
Wharton 6 Goliad 0
Wharton 2 Victoria Memorial 1
Wharton 8 Robstown 1

Don't know scores, but El Campo beats St. Joseph to win Pool 2. Pool B was St. Jo's, El Campo, Calhoun and San Antonio Holmes.

Dugoutcoach
02-29-2004, 02:18 PM
VICTORIA CROSSROAD CLASSIC:

The 3A,'03 State Semi-finalist Wharton Lady Tigers went 5-1 including pool play to take 3rd place in the annual tourney. The Lady Tigers continued their "unfinished business" trek to the '04 state tourney with major wins over state ranked upper division schools and a perennial tough private team. Friday's pool play included a win over 5A Victoria Memorial, the tournament champions, by a 2-1 margin. Saturday's first bracket game brought a 1-0 win to the Lady Tigers over Victoria St. Joseph and then they suffered their only loss to a strong 5A San Antonio Holmes team who eliminated Memorial from last year's post season play. The long-term Wharton County rivalry continued as the 4A #3 state ranked El Campo Lady Ricebirds' loss to Victoria Memorial put them in the match for 3rd place with Wharton.
The Lady Tigers rose to the occasion as they brought home the trophy, winning by 9-2.
BRACKET PLAY:
SA HOLMES (WON) OVER MEMORIAL JV
EL CAMPO (WON) OVER ROBSTOWN
ROBSTOWN 5 OVER ST. JOSEPH 4
MEMORIAL 4 OVER EL CAMPO 3
MEMORIAL (WON) OVER CALHOUN
WHARTON 1 OVER ST. J0SEPH 0
SA HOLMES 10 OVER WHARTON 2
WHART0N 9(3RD) OVER EL CAMPO 2
MEMORIAL 2(1ST) OVER SA HOLMES 1(2ND)
(Scores reported by the Victoria Advocate-results in-complete)

someone
02-29-2004, 02:49 PM
Sealy/Bastrop won the Gonzales Tournament

BigChief
02-29-2004, 03:06 PM
Gonzales Tourney

Sealy 1, Gonzales 0 (9 inn.)
Bastrop 6, Sweeny 1
Shiner 10, Houston Chavez 0
Somerset 8, SA Memorial 0
Shiner 4, Somerset 3

3rd place
Sweeny 3, Gonzales 2

Consolation
Smithville 8, Austin Akins 0

Championship
Bastrop 5, Sealy 0

someone
02-29-2004, 04:01 PM
The Championship Game Score is not right the score was 5-3 in the bottom of the 3rd with sealy having 2 runners on base when a girl from sealy fell on the base and they called the game because they didn't want anyone else to get hurt because to many people were slipping on the bases due to the rain

Dulce04
02-29-2004, 05:39 PM
Austin McCallum Tournament

The Lady Hornets worked EXTREMELY hard to win. In pool play they faced 5A Lamar Arlington and won 2-1 in ITB and then played 5A Austin McCallum and won 2-1..(in this game the Lady Hornets did not play very well but still got a win.) Their first game was against 4A Lockhart and won 2-1 in 2 ITB's. Second game was against 3A #6 state ranked LaGrange (who they had just previous played on Thursday and won 3-1) and won against them 3-2 in 4 ITB's. That game lasted about 2 hours and 45 minutes. The last game for the championship was against 5A McNeil. Caldwell pulled it out with a 2-1 win. No overtime this game. They deserved it and worked hard for it. Way to go Lady Hornets!!

Old Cardinal
02-29-2004, 07:36 PM
NO wonder Caldwell in ranked #2 in 3A and LaGrange is ranked also. Sounds like you are playing stout teams and not the weak ones!

<small>[ March 01, 2004, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

RBARKER
03-01-2004, 09:34 AM
BH girls win Kirbyville Tour. from the Barbers Hill web site.

Barbers Hill avenged an earlier tournament loss by defeating 4A Little Cypress-Mauriceville 1-0 in the championship game of the Kirbyville Tournament. My sources have told me we won 4 games on Saturday, so their current record should be 13-2-1. BH has now won both of its tournaments. Barbers Hill will travel this week to play 4A Montgomery Tuesday and 5A Bmt. Westbrook on Friday.

<small>[ March 01, 2004, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: RBARKER ]</small>

Old Cardinal
03-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Bridge City continues their murderous schedule having beat and lost to two of Louisiana's better large 5A size schools in their last two ball games. It was Bridge City 1 Lake Charles, LA Barbe HS 0 and Sam Houston 2 Bridge City 1. On Tuesday March 2 they go against #6th - 3A ranked Hamshire-Fannett in the first District game. On March 5 Friday, they go against 5A Kingwood, east of Houston, again a very good team. Coach Sissy Lemons has plotted a stiff course to get the girls up against high-bracket level superior pitching early in the season, in the event they are fortunate enough to climb the ranks of 3A post season.

<small>[ March 01, 2004, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Dulce04
03-02-2004, 09:07 PM
Caldwell beats Bastrop 1 - 0.

Bellville22
03-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Bellville 2, Cinco Ranch 0

Wasn't at the game, just brief phone call. Fr. Luedke was winning pitcher I believe. B73 may have more details.

Appears that Bellville's pitching is holding its own, that was something I questioned early. The offense is there, and they've been getting the job done lately. Keep rollin' Bellville.

Bellville22
03-03-2004, 09:48 AM
tfan10:
To comment on the Bellvie vs. Wharton game, Wharton was missing some key players. Senior shortstop Lobpries, one of Wharton's leading hitters, was playing basketball and they were missing their first basemen. They were playing with 3 jv players. I think if the two teams played again with all their players then it would be a different game.Bellville was without their cleanup hitter. Whatever the case, these are 2 very good teams, if they played again, I imagine it would be another great game.

RiverRatDad
03-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Early in the year both teams were missing players. Bellville impressed me with a solid defense in spite of the fact that no one had much practice time. Wharton only struck out three times, so the Bellville defense had plenty of chances. Bellville is in a tough region, but good luck to them and I hope they go far.

Dulce04
03-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Caldwell beats East Bernard in the Schulenberg tournament 10-0 in 5 innings. They began to play against 5A Magnolia but the rain stopped the game after the first inning. They might be able to play them again on Saturday morning so the coaches are trying to get ahold of UIL members to see if they could play early on Saturday. Magnolia starts district on Friday so they couldn't play then. If the two teams cannot play each other then Caldwell will lose because Magnolia left 2 people on base when the inning was over and Caldwell had none. It's pretty sorry but I guess that's how the rules are. After that, the highest place the loser can get is 7th.

Dulce04
03-05-2004, 03:13 PM
Well it looks like Caldwell Lady Hornets will be playing Magnolia Saturday morning at 8:00am. UIL has agreed to let us have another game since we only got one inning in before the rain. We will have to leave here around 5:45 or so. Gonna be a long day.

Dulce04
03-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Ok...the Caldwell Lady Hornets were allowed to continue playing their game against Magnolia this morning at 8. They played to the time allowed and the score was still 0-0;however, Magnolia left more people on base than Caldwell so Magnolia went to the winner's bracket and Caldwell to the loser's and in the record books as a tie. Caldwell defeated Fort Worth Country Day School 10-0 in 5 innings and then Danbury 9-3 to win 7th place. It's kinda hard on Caldwell because they really didn't lose a game but they got punished for not getting on base. Caldwell's record is now 11-0-1.

Dulce04
03-09-2004, 10:00 PM
Caldwell run rules Burton 10-0

18handicap
03-10-2004, 10:08 AM
Ok, I'm back now...had a virus on my home computer that I needed to get rid of, plus with all of the out of town tournaments that we've been in have kept me from replying lately.

There is a new poll out, but I'm sure when I send in my scores, we will finally drop out.

In the Coastal Bend tournament in Kingsville -- these were our scores.

Sweeny 1, Calallen 2
Sweeny 8, Antonian 3
Sweeny 0, Tuloso-Midway 5
Sweeny 2, Gonzales 12 (11 runs in the 2nd)
Sweeny 3, Antonian 2

Gonzales 1, Tuloso-Midway 4
Gonzales 8, San Benito 0
Gonzales 1, Gregory-Portland 5
Gonzales 12, Sweeny 2
Gonzales 2, San Benito 1
Gonzales 2, Harlingen 1 (Consolation Finals)

Old Cardinal
03-10-2004, 03:24 PM
It's nice to be back on the new message board! Bridge City rocked Orangefield 13-0 as the score finished at the end of the 5 complete innings. It looks like the BC/ La Grange first postseason game looks more and more important. Last year the La Grange Coach decided she could bunt on BC's two All State Pitcher and Catcher. She had a chance to beat BC but gave it away with presistant bunting to no avail. We will see what happens this year. BC had 3 triples last night-one was kind of significant. Kallie Wallace a long term top Select team player returned to the squad, she knocked a beautiful triple on her first time at bat for the Cardinals this year! She was an outstanding HS player for BC last year.....DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW THE 10 TEN 3A TEAMS DID THIS WEEK, THUSFAR?

There is a big tough Tournament in Sulphur Louisiana on Saturday. Coach Sissy Lemons always manages to pit BC against some of LAs very best big enrollment schools. I would expect at least a dozen Texas schools to be over there playing their better HSs.

middleagecardinal
03-10-2004, 03:25 PM
Last night Bridge City beat Orangefield 13-0 in 5 innings. He Old, I was a little slow in posting. Good to be back on the board.

Dulce04
03-12-2004, 08:31 AM
Caldwell beats East Bernard in 5 ...10-0... loses to Weimer in 6... 5-4.. time ran out. Errors plaqued the Lady Hornets in that game. Weimer was very aggressive at the plate.

middleagecardinal
03-12-2004, 09:07 AM
Is Weimer in your district....or have ya'll even started district yet?

Phil C
03-12-2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the updates everyone. Please keep them coming.

Dulce04
03-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Weimar is not in our district. We are at the Burton tournament this Thursday and Saturday. Caldwell made numerous errors and allowed the runs in. Just wasn't our game. District starts next Friday against Cameron.

Old Cardinal
03-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Bridge City scored 8 runs on 7 hits before allowing Hardin-Jefferson to come to bat the first time. The game was over in short order as BC wins 15-0. All State pitcher Meagan Godwin(Junior) struck out the first three. Next Elena Clinton(Sophomore) promptly came in and fanned SEVEN batters. Tomorrow, the Cardinals face their toughest test ever as they go against 3 top big enrollment teams in the Sulphur, LA Softball Classic...I was told, but cannot confirm, that they are going to be allowed to play a team ranked 11th Nationally at present.

In District play(3 Games), they have outscored their opponents a sum total of 37-1

18handicap
03-13-2004, 09:19 AM
Scores from Friday night:
Needville 5, West Columbia 1
St Paul 3, Columbus 2
Giddings 6, Sacred Heart 5
Sacred Heart 6, Columbus 5
St Paul 6, Giddings 3
Calhoun 12, Aransas Pass 0
Hallettsville 5, Edna 0
Weimar 6, Yoakum 2

Saturday:
Sweeny vs. Sinton @ Victoria RAINED OUT
Sweeny @ Victoria Memorial RAINED OUT
Sinton @ Victoria Memorial RAINED OUT

middleagecardinal
03-13-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Bridge City scored 8 runs on 7 hits before allowing Hardin-Jefferson to come to bat the first time. The game was over in short order as BC wins 15-0. All State pitcher Meagan Godwin(Junior) struck out the first three. Next Elena Clinton(Sophomore) promptly came in and fanned SEVEN batters. Tomorrow, the Cardinals face their toughest test ever as they go against 3 top big enrollment teams in the Sulphur, LA Softball Classic...I was told, but cannot confirm, that they are going to be allowed to play a team ranked 11th Nationally at present.

In District play(3 Games), they have outscored their opponents a sum total of 37-1

Come on now Old. We played at home which means H-J got to bat first. Meagan pitched the first and struck out 3 while Elena pitched the next three innings and struck out 5.

Old Cardinal
03-13-2004, 10:59 AM
You are right, batting was reversed-home game...I see in my jotted notes (7)-it must mean 5 Ks and 2 dribbles to the pitcher....I see in the paper-- Ashley Lapeyrolerie 3 for 3; Hayley Simonton 3 for 3; Kaleigh Wallace, Cressia Hebert and Jessica Lemoine all had two hits each. That leaves one other hit, for a total of 13 hits....I sure hope they have good luck at the Sulphur LA Tournament today. We will be going to eat crawfish at the Boiling Point Restaurant in Sulphur and arrive for the 2:15 pm game....

RiverRatDad
03-13-2004, 12:16 PM
18 - Glad to see you back up and running. We were coming to Victoria today to see you play - sorry for the rainout. Wharton got beat by Lamar Consol last night 1-0. We are on spring break and we played like it. Will be glad when district finally gets started on Friday.

18handicap
03-13-2004, 12:36 PM
I'm getting kinda tired of all of the rain. We're supposed to play Rockport-Fulton at home on Monday, but if the rain continues, that game is in jeopardy. I tried to walk on the infield before I left for home and I sank. DO said that he was going to talk you into coming to Sweeny on Monday and watch. I scheduled for Monday so I could get out and watch a district opponent on Tuesday. CJ and I are going to go watch Gonzales at Palacios on Tuesday night at the PHS brand new field. We open with PHS on Friday in Sweeny and they beat us 1-0 in ITB in Calhoun tournament, so I am really concerned and want to see them again.

RiverRatDad
03-13-2004, 06:28 PM
Good, that will keep me out of trouble Monday nite. I wish I could go watch Palacios Tues. - they scare me also. BTW, ask DO about his newest "daughter".

Old Cardinal
03-13-2004, 10:29 PM
What a good way to finish the three Tournament play outings that are allowed by the UIL!---- Bridge City 1 Denham Spring(5A) 0; Bridge City 3 Ridgewood 2 (a quality Private school from New Orleans); Lafayette HS(5A) 3 BC O...Also, PN-G(4A) won 3 games and lost one game 1-0 to....St. Advant which is rated #11 on a National poll. They faced very stiff competition in their other games also..... LC-M(4A) and West Brook, Beaumont(5A) did quite well in this premium team setting.....It appears that only Lafayette HS and St. Advant went undefeated in the larger enrollment Classifications....There were over 70 teams playing at different levels of competition at this wonderful Tournament.....PN-G is ranked #2 in the Texas (4A) poll and Bridge City is ranked #1 in the Texas (3A) poll-but they faced some very stiff competition in these very top rated (5A) high enrollment Louisiana teams today.

Brahma73
03-14-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by middleagecardinal
Is Weimer in your district....or have ya'll even started district yet?

Weimar is a 2A team. They beat Bellville 2-0 Tuesday night. Not an overpowering team, but they are fundamentally sound. Missing their all-world pitcher/slugger Jenna Kubesch from last year, but should still do well in 2A this year.

RiverRatDad
03-17-2004, 09:41 AM
Wharton 9
Sealy 0

Didn't check the stats. Wharton scored 9 runs, committed 1 error. Sealy gets no hits, only two base runners (one E and one HBP). Don't know how many K's Matzke had, but she threw a good game. I'll post stats later.

3afan
03-17-2004, 09:49 AM
Forney 3, Crandall 0

(my game was Plano 4, Rockwall 2)

RiverRatDad
03-17-2004, 02:30 PM
Wharton 9 - 13 - 1
Sealy 0 - 1 - 1

Wharton pitcher Casey Matzke pitches 7 innings, 1 hit, 9 K's, 0 walks, 1 hit batsman. District play starts Friday.

18handicap
03-17-2004, 03:08 PM
Tuesday scores (3/16) (From Victoria paper)
Charlotte 0 at Shiner 15
Edna 5 at Yoakum 3
Kenedy 7 at Mathis 6
Yorktown 0 at Calhoun 10
Weimar 6 at Hallettsville 3
Sealy 0 at Wharton 9
Brazosport 0 at Brazoswood 10

18handicap
03-17-2004, 03:13 PM
I saw that someone said that Ridgewood Prep from Metairie, Louisiana was a large private school in Louisiana. Also, I saw that they are a quality private school. After coaching in Louisiana for 8 years with Ridgewood in my district for several years, I agree with the "quality" statement, but I will clarify that they are a Class 1A school. When I coached over there, they were a basketball powerhouse and their coach was the best recruiter in the state. One year, all 5 starters on the gbb team had signed D-1 scholarships early. That's pretty good for a school with about 150 students -- or great recruiting.

I'm not knocking BC's win over them, just telling you who they are. I still think that BC should be ranked #1 in the state.

Old Cardinal
03-17-2004, 08:34 PM
I got the info from someone from New Orleans that was there at the game, who basically said they were a big recruiter of quality players and that they beat the majority of high enrollment schools played, on a regular basis. I just thought they were a high enrollment also, on that basis. I will say they looked and acted like a strong recruitment program.... Bridge City is beatable; however, Sissy Lemons has re-wrote the book on Coaching preparation for 3A classification. That 24 year old Coach is the best I have seen! It's interesting to drive by and see her team running and working out like a Marine boot camp-dedication is the name of the game for them. Some have quite in the last two years because of the extreme conditioning, but the rest are quite dedicated to the agenda that they are following....18, can you tell us about Elgin? I am hearing they have picked up some awesome Select team players for this season. When would you guess a new 3A poll will be posted?

18handicap
03-18-2004, 12:11 AM
I have a copy of the current poll e-mailed to me each week. Since the TGCA office is closed this week, there is nobody there to post it. When I get to school in the morning, I'll post the poll here on this website.

RBARKER
03-18-2004, 09:09 AM
BH girls got walloped by Splendora last night 9-1. Splendora kept the game close until the 5 th inning when they playted 7 runs. Splendora has a good team and kept the Eagles on their heals.

Old Cardinal
03-18-2004, 10:59 AM
WOW! I had heard that Splendora had a couple of young extra good Select Team pitchers that were beefing up their team. A Football Coach friend from down there said they were quite a poised team. Well BH has a good team and I am a little shocked at the magnitude of the win however......Don't be surprised to see Elgin maybe pull off a win also. The teams are, for the most part, successful based on the proportion of year round select team players that join or develop within their programs.....

middleagecardinal
03-18-2004, 01:02 PM
?????????

Originally posted by 18handicap
I have a copy of the current poll e-mailed to me each week. Since the TGCA office is closed this week, there is nobody there to post it. When I get to school in the morning, I'll post the poll here on this website.

18handicap
03-18-2004, 02:14 PM
Patience, patience.......I have been teaching all day. This is the first look that I've had at the board today. I thought he e-mailed it to me at school, but it was to my home e-mail and I can't get to it from here. When I get home from practice, I'll get it posted. My apologies for the delay.

Phil C
03-18-2004, 03:02 PM
Hey 18 I noticed that G-P beat Kingsville 3 to 1 so you got beat by an apparently good team. It surprised me because Kingsville has about 7 seniors that have been starters on that team since freshmen (they got fifth in State in little league when they were in junior high) and have done very well in playoffs since they were freshmen and were expected to do great things in their senior year. Yet are 1-2 in district which is a total surprise. I am astonished!

18handicap
03-18-2004, 09:04 PM
2004 Texas Girls Coaches Association
Girls Softball Rankings
March 16, 2004

Class 5A
1. Fort Bend Elkins
2. LaPorte
3. Southlake Carroll
4. San Antonio Churchill
5. Midland
6. Tomball
7. Flower Mound
8. Magnolia
9. Cedar Park
10t. Garland
10t. Rio Grande City
Comments: Elkins is 21-0 while LaPorte is 15-0 and
Tomball a not so bad 15-1. Southlake Carroll is
strutting their stuff in the Metroplex while Cedar
Park, Flower Mound, Keller, Allen, Magnolia, Stratford
and El Paso Bel air (which is 10-4 but tied in
District 1-5A) are all playing well as district action
gets underway. San Antonio Holmes (14-1) defeated
Warren 1-0 in 11 innings as Melissa Perez had 12
strikeouts. San Antonio O'Connor (15-3) defeated
Marshall (15-2) by a score of 3-0. Powerful San
Antonio Churchill (15-1) blanked Madison 8-0.

Class 4A
1. Port Neches Grove
2. Justin Northwest
3. Santa Fe
4. Brenham
5. Crowley
6. El Campo
7. Hewitt Midway
8. Birdville
9. Fort Worth Brewer
10. Dumas
Comments: Port Neches Grove went 3-0 in Louisiana
before losing to power house Saint Advent 1-0.
Brenham beat A&M Consolidated 9-8 as Carlee Winkelmann
picked
Up her tenth win of the season. The Cubettes then beat
Klein 13-3 for Carlee
Winkelmann’s eleventh win. Brenham is 21-2. Fort
Worth Brewer beat the Crowley Eagles 3-2 in 11
innings. Uvalde (12-4-1) lost to 5A Harlandale (14-2).
Dumas warmed up for District 3-4A action by downing
Canyon Randall 13-1 and Canyon 6-2, the Demonettes
then blitzed Plainview 28-0 (yes twenty eight-nothing
in 5 innings).

Class 3A
1. Bridge City
2. Barber’s Hill
3. Lufkin Hudson
4. Caldwell
5. Splendora
6. Pearsall
7. LaGrange
8. Canyon
9. Sinton
10. Lindale
Comments: Bridge City beat (5A) Denham Springs, LA 1-0
then Ridgewood (a large private school in New Orleans)
3-2 and lost to Lafayette, LA 3-0. Meagan Godwin and
Elena Clinton combined to pitch the lady Cardinals to
their third district win. Sealy is improving and may
push LaGrange while Splendora is 9-1 and rolling.
Wharton won third placed in the Lamar Consolidated
Tournament by beating Fort Bend Austin 9-4. Hudson
beat Jasper 3-0 as Christine Worley pitched a 1
hitter. Canyon blanked Friendship 11-0 as Leslie
Weston pitched a one-hit, 13k shutout. Jami Acton,
Sarah Tatum and Leslie Weston had 3 hits each. The
Hudson Lady Hornets won the Athens Tournament
defeating Como-Pickton in
The championship game 4-2. Hudson defeated Lindale
1-0 in the semi-final. LaGrange lost to Bellville 6-3
as Bramanette freshman Lauryn Luetge got the win.
Pearsall (11-2) defeated 4A Kerrville Tivy 8-4 with
Sandy Hernandez and Mary Lee Richardson combining for
a five hit, nine k effort. Leslie Cabasos, Janet
Herrera and Tedlin Nieto had 2 hits each.

Class 2A
1. Prosper
2. Weimar
3. Coahoma
4. Franklin
5. George West
6. Aubrey
7. Clyde Eula
8. Deweyville
9. Troy
10. Rogers
Comments: St. Paul High School in Shiner won the
Burton tournament for the third straight year beating
Weimar 5-4 in eight innings in the finals. Weimar
beat Caldwell 5-4. Weimar finished 4-1 despite
missing two starters. Weimar used the pitching of
Amanda Rosenaur to be Bellville 2-0. At the Burton
tournament, Weimar freshman Kailey Kubesch pitched a
perfect game striking out all 15 batters she faced in
a 6-0 win over Smithville in 5 innings. Franklin won
their tournament over Rogers with Moody third and
Jarrell fourth. Franklin beat Jarrell 1-0 in a double
ITB. Jarrell freshman Mallory Cantler fanned eight
with a one hitter in the loss. Deweyville beat 4A
Lumberton 7-1. Natalia (8 -4) lost to 3A Devine (9-3)
7-3. Weimar beat Caldwell 5-4 in a tournament action.

Class 1A
1. Shiner
3. Bremond
4. Windthorst
5. Martin’s Mill
6. North Zulch
7. Elkhart Slocum
8. Holland
9. McCleod
10t.Dodd City
10t.Anderson-Shiro
Comments: Junior Lisa Czajkowski is 7-2 and freshman
Meghan Sadler 6-1 for a Bremond team that doesn’t have
any seniors. Bremond is 13-5 after beating Wortham
15-0, Riesel 9-6 and Snook 7-2. Holland played in the
Academy tournament beating Academy and Manor (twice)
before losing to Troy 8-0 in the finals. Slocum won
the Normangee Tournament beating Bremond 12-3, Leon
17-0 and tying Normangee 4-4. Bremond beat Normangee.
Slocum is 7-2-1 with their losses coming to 3A
Westwood and 4A Palestine. Anderson-Shiro is 7-3.
North Zulch has freshman pitcher Kaley Drake who is
dominant early, has a new coach and owns a double
header win over Anderson-Shiro

18handicap
03-18-2004, 09:05 PM
The poll is where I saw the tidbit about Ridgewood being a large private school.

Also, I saw that G-P beat Kingsville. Also saw that T-M beat Cal 13-1 on the same night. Interesting start in 30-AAAA. I hope 28-AAA isn't as interesting.

Old Cardinal
03-18-2004, 10:54 PM
I think Splendora has just changed up the poll for next week with their big win over Barbers Hill. H-F had a big win over Orangefield and Hardin is a tough little competitive team. Bellville is a little inconsistant but can beat anyone on a given day. Jasper is not a weak team that Worley took out 3-0 for Lufkin Hudson. Look for Lindale to win Region II. La Grange plays reckless(take every chance) type ball which enhances your chances of losing or winning. They have their hands full in a good district....Can some one tell us about Pearsall and the caliber of teams they have played?

middleagecardinal
03-19-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
What a good way to finish the three Tournament play outings that are allowed by the UIL!---- Bridge City 1 Denham Spring(5A) 0; Bridge City 3 Ridgewood 2 (a quality Private school from New Orleans); Lafayette HS(5A) 3 BC O...

The BC/Lafayette game was 2-0...the scoreboard lights were a little messed up.

Old Cardinal
03-19-2004, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the correction on the Layfayette game being 2-0---I had walked over to see how LC-M was fareing, briefly, at an adjacent field and when I came back the scoreboard read 3-0.....I see that Laporte is ranked #2 in 5A. I sure hope that Coach Sissy(BC) has lined them up to play them again in a post season scrimmage. They have such an outstanding 5A program each year....I sure like the way the TGCA poll takes into account the strength of the teams being played instead of just looking at the win/lose column to derive a poll from...Example: PN-G lost to St. Advant 1-0 but that team is ranked #11 Nationally; therefore, PN-G moved to #1 in the 4A Poll based on the strength of the teams that they have faced recently!