PDA

View Full Version : ABC News anchor Peter Jennings dies at 67

jason
08-07-2005, 10:52 PM
from www.yahoo.com (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050808/ap_on_en_tv/obit_jennings)

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer 1 minute ago

NEW YORK - Peter Jennings, the suave, Canadian-born broadcaster who delivered the news to Americans each night in five separate decades, died Sunday. He was 67.

Jennings, who announced in April that he had lung cancer, died at his New York home, ABC News President David Westin said.

"Peter has been our colleague, our friend, and our leader in so many ways. None of us will be the same without him," Westin said.

With Tom Brokaw and Dan Rather, Jennings was part of a triumvirate that dominated network news for more than two decades, through the birth of cable news and the Internet. His smooth delivery and years of international reporting experience made Jennings particularly popular among urban dwellers.

Jennings was the face of ABC News whenever a big story broke. He logged more than 60 hours on the air during the week of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, offering a soothing sense of continuity during a troubled time.

"There are a lot of people who think our job is to reassure the public every night that their home, their community and their nation is safe," he told author Jeff Alan. "I don't subscribe to that at all. I subscribe to leaving people with essentially — sorry it's a cliche — a rough draft of history. Some days it's reassuring, some days it's absolutely destructive."

Jennings' announcement four months ago that the longtime would begin treatment for lung cancer came as a shock.

"I will continue to do the broadcast," he said, his voice husky, in a taped message that night. "On good days, my voice will not always be like this."

But although Jennings occasionally came to the office, he never again appeared on the air.

PhiI C
08-07-2005, 10:54 PM
RIP Mr. Jennings. :(

Old Tiger
08-07-2005, 10:54 PM
RIP

SintonFan
08-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Man, this was very unexpected. RIP Peter Jennings.

AggieJohn
08-07-2005, 11:01 PM
very unexpected, didn't think he was 67

Maroon87
08-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Godspeed...

Phantom Stang
08-07-2005, 11:35 PM
I believe I heard or read somewhere, that Peter Jennings never attended college.
He was a true professional nonetheless.
RIP

Owen B
08-08-2005, 12:28 AM
He seemed like a decent man, and was definitely a good anchorman. This saddens me.

MARLINDOGS
08-08-2005, 12:54 AM
He was a great person.He will be missed.

District303aPastPlayer
08-08-2005, 02:40 AM
The world lost a great man...

btw, in a side note, he was one of the great ones... still stood professional even after the turmoil his wife put him through... SHE was the cheater... not him...

pirate44
08-08-2005, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by MARLINDOGS
He was a great person.He will be missed.

Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
The world lost a great man
I think we use the terms "great man" and "great person" way too loosely

Originally posted by Owen B
He seemed like a decent man, and was definitely a good anchorman. This saddens me.
this is how i'd describe him. and AJ had it right. he looked way too young to be 67. shocking news indeed.

CheerMom
08-08-2005, 10:35 AM
This is truly a loss for the broadcasting industry. He will definitely be missed.:(

AggieJohn
08-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
AJ had it right.
one by one i'll get them to come to the dark side

Astrosdawg07
08-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
one by one i'll get them to come to the dark side

U scare me :D

whereugo
08-08-2005, 10:50 PM
No, he did not attend college - not too many years ago - well, seems like it anyway - a college degree was not a requirement to be a journalist - tenacity, an interest in news and sharing it with others was more of a requirement. If you could find someone to hire you - you could work your way up without a degree if you were good enough.

Peter Jennings will be missed - I haven''t watched ABC World News entire broadcast since he announced his illness all the way thru ... until tonite. The tribute was wonderful - I will miss the way he shared the news with the world - he was truly a responsible journalist - not concerned with the sensational or sleazy but more concerned with informing the rest of the world with the news he thought they would be interested in - actually the news he would himself be interested in - a very high level of professionalism and compassion - the next presidential election just won't be the same without Peter. He will be missed.

RIP

sahen
08-08-2005, 11:10 PM
from what i understand he didnt even finish highschool which is remarkable for him to make it to the level he did in my opinion....not saying that he wasnt smart cause he didnt graduate highschool but its hard to advance in any job if u dont have atleast a highschool diploma....
he will be missed, by far my favorite news anchor...

kepdawg
08-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Nightline is coming on right now and will be talking about him if anyone is interested.