PDA

View Full Version : im stuck between a rock and a hard place...

jason
08-07-2005, 10:39 PM
ok...

i got a job at the beginning of the summer knowing i was going to be leaving in the fall to go back to school (they never asked how long i planned on staying of if i was considering going back to school)...
now, its about time for me to be leaving and my employer has absolutely no idea that i am leaving, i havent mentioned it to anybody all summer...
well, i have to be moved in and everything by the 25th....that being said, i would have to put in a 2 week notice by thursday...
should i put in the 2 weeks notice and risk them telling me to not bother coming in anymore (wasting 2 weeks) or should i go to them a few days before and spring it on them?
im pretty sure im gonna give the 2 week notice just because that is how you're supposed to do it but i really dont want to lose these last 2 weeks....

AggieJohn
08-07-2005, 10:41 PM
heck, it's honorable to give two weeks, but at the same rate, if your worried about losing the last two weeks of pay, i wouldn't tell them because your obviously worried about losing those last two weeks..i'd leave em hanging, unless of course you want a reference from them

mwynn05
08-07-2005, 10:52 PM
i think they might try to screw you over...but i dono

SintonFan
08-07-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by jason
ok...

i got a job at the beginning of the summer knowing i was going to be leaving in the fall to go back to school (they never asked how long i planned on staying of if i was considering going back to school)...
now, its about time for me to be leaving and my employer has absolutely no idea that i am leaving, i havent mentioned it to anybody all summer...
well, i have to be moved in and everything by the 25th....that being said, i would have to put in a 2 week notice by thursday...
should i put in the 2 weeks notice and risk them telling me to not bother coming in anymore (wasting 2 weeks) or should i go to them a few days before and spring it on them?
im pretty sure im gonna give the 2 week notice just because that is how you're supposed to do it but i really dont want to lose these last 2 weeks....
It would be ethical to leave your two weeks notice. If you had a job at McDonalds then not telling your employer you planned to stay too long wouldn't hurt anything. If you have received at least two weeks training for your current job you should have been honest with the employer from the start. Losing an employee(especially within a year) after any length of training hurts the business and can potentially derail a small business(it's costly to train for a week much less more than this). Think about it. Put in your two weeks notice.

Ranger Mom
08-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Give your two weeks notice. That company is used to it, I know because my sister in law works for them too, their turnover is HUGE!!

It's the ethical and moral thing to do Jason!

MOM has spoken!:cool:

crabman
08-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Give the two weeks, definitely. You might need this guy as a reference for your next job. Never burn bridges.

Read my signature. I knows of what I speaks.

KTJ
08-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Why would they fire you for giving a two weeks notice?

SintonFan
08-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Well, he is tall you know. He could probably get away with one week's notice.:D
Two weeks notice is the ethical(and right) thing to do.

fairfield_06
08-08-2005, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
It would be ethical to leave your two weeks notice. If you had a job at McDonalds then not telling your employer you planned to stay too long wouldn't hurt anything. If you have received at least two weeks training for your current job you should have been honest with the employer from the start. Losing an employee(especially within a year) after any length of training hurts the business and can potentially derail a small business(it's costly to train for a week much less more than this). Think about it. Put in your two weeks notice.
Excuse me as a burger king employee I take that shot at fast food restaraunts personally. Even at Burger King we are expected to give a two weeks notice.

District303aPastPlayer
08-08-2005, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by fairfield_06
Excuse me as a burger king employee I take that shot at fast food restaraunts personally. Even at Burger King we are expected to give a two weeks notice.

mayo, pickles, cheese, Dr Pepper easy ice, thanks :)

Old Green
08-08-2005, 04:01 AM
Give a two weeks notice. It's the right thing to do. You might need him later as a reference.

KingRob
08-08-2005, 05:02 AM
Give the 2 weeks notice. If you did your work properly and were on time to work, then I can't see why they would tell you to take a hike. Your co-workers would be the ones to pick up the slack until someone new is hired and trained. 2 weeks notice is the right thing to do. Good Luck!

Owen B
08-08-2005, 06:29 AM
Even if they were to fire you immediately after you gave your notice, in the long run, you're being an ethical person is more important than two weeks pay. Do the right thing.

HighSchool Fan
08-08-2005, 07:41 AM
when i first saw the title of this thread i was thinking something different. my first thougth was he don't know what to do with holmes_fan this week. should he give pointers or just send him off to grandma's and party all week.

spiveyrat
08-08-2005, 07:58 AM
See if they'll let you tele-commute from college. Then, you still have the job (and income) while you're at school.

Otherwise, give the two weeks. :thumbsup:

mikecheck
08-08-2005, 09:03 AM
I also thought is was something else, my advice was going to be to use the ugliest 5 iron you have, that way if you break it by hitting the rock or the hard place then no sweat. Give your two weeks notice young man, and move on. Good luck.

rhs78
08-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Give your two weeks notice,never burn a bridge that you might need to cross later in life. Do the right thing.

Bandera YaYa
08-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by KingRob
..If you did your work properly and were on time to work...

Hahaha......therein lies the problem........... :p :kiss:

dawgmom
08-09-2005, 01:49 AM
Did someone say Burger King??? I will have a whopper with cheese please! Uh...better make that two. We no longer have a BK and I really miss them!
Be a man and put in your notice. What if you decide later that you want to go back to that company! If you just leave you can't go back, but if you give your notice, most likely they will take you back at a later date!

West22
08-09-2005, 07:00 PM
Give the notice .Even if they let you go, which is probably unlikley,always be a man of your word.You will never regret it ,It shows charcter on your part to won't to do the right thing.

SintonFan
08-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by fairfield_06
No, it was a shot at McDonalds. I know that there are no workers from McDonalds on the low.:p

vet93
08-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Give the notice....it is the right thing to do. Sometimes the right thing to do doesn't make life easier but it sure makes it easier to live with yourself at the end of the day.

Bandera YaYa
08-09-2005, 08:28 PM
You know, if his manager had been halfway decent to him this summer, I would tell him the same thing you all have....but the man's been a real jerk, so I won't be surprised if he tells jason to hit the road...I hope I'm wrong, cuz jason is working to make money for school....the work place is a two way street, give respect and you will receive it.....we'll see what happens, i guess!! :D

gobbler84
08-09-2005, 08:40 PM
ok...

Hey Jason that would mean 2 emty weeks of nothin but packing and pointless threads!:)

KingRob
08-09-2005, 10:59 PM
Well, even if his current chief is a jerk, you have to learn from it. He will have many more bosses who will turn out to be jerks!
What can you do except to become your own boss, owning your own business, and having employees who think you're a jerk.
Did I really say that?:thinking:

LH Panther Mom
08-10-2005, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by KingRob
Well, even if his current chief is a jerk, you have to learn from it. He will have many more bosses who will turn out to be jerks!
What can you do except to become your own boss, owning your own business, and having employees who think you're a jerk.
Did I really say that?:thinking:

Yes, you did say it. :D :clap: :clap:

Rabbit'93
08-10-2005, 07:09 AM
Question I have is .... do you plan on working there again? The reason I ask...if you do plan on working there again be sure to give your two weeks. You can be re-hired then(at most companies). Being in management if an employee I had just hired came to me and said he was putting his two weeks in. I would go ahead and cut them loose right then. No sense in dragging it out.

BullFrog Dad
08-10-2005, 09:58 AM
If you don't think you'll need this job/reference in the future tell them bye the last day you need to work. Most companies will let you go when you give them notice just to show you who's boss. As far as most posters advising to give them notice because it's the right thing to do remember that Corporate America is shipping jobs overseas in favor of cheap labor with no regards for our feelings. Good Luck to you.

vet93
08-10-2005, 11:07 AM
When a group of people start doing things because "everyone else is doing it", then we cease to become a people of integrity and conscience and start to become a people who only looks out for one's personal self interest. I agree that corporate america only looks out for the bottom line....but that should not affect our own integrity.

As a small business owner, I have had people just fail to show up and never give notice. This puts a tremendous strain on the office and those who work there. Many times you hurt the employees who work with you more that the employer.

Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
If you don't think you'll need this job/reference in the future tell them bye the last day you need to work. Most companies will let you go when you give them notice just to show you who's boss. As far as most posters advising to give them notice because it's the right thing to do remember that Corporate America is shipping jobs overseas in favor of cheap labor with no regards for our feelings. Good Luck to you.

spiveyrat
08-10-2005, 12:28 PM
So jason, what's the verdict?

Bandera YaYa
08-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
If you don't think you'll need this job/reference in the future tell them bye the last day you need to work. Most companies will let you go when you give them notice just to show you who's boss. As far as most posters advising to give them notice because it's the right thing to do remember that Corporate America is shipping jobs overseas in favor of cheap labor with no regards for our feelings. Good Luck to you. Yah.....I wonder where those cell phones he's selling are made????????? :eek: :thinking: :thinking:

Sad, but true......Corporate America doesn't give a rat's a$$ about the American worker....it's all about the bottom line....... :(

jason
08-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
So jason, what's the verdict? looks like im putting in my 2 weeks notice tomorrow...it is the 'business ethical' thing to do, and despite what a few people think, i do have a soft side and would feel bad if i just bailed on them a day or 2 before i was leaving...

now i gotta write a letter explaining things....

jason
08-11-2005, 10:13 PM
put in my notice today, looks like theyre gonna let me stick around for a few weeks...

44INAROW
08-11-2005, 10:19 PM
put in my notice today, looks like theyre gonna let me stick around for a few weeks...

That shows that they respect you and appreciate the work you did for them! I am glad you gave them the notice :)