PDA

View Full Version : NCAA bans Indian nicknames for postseason games

pirate4state
08-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Let the debating begin!Yahoo story (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050805/ap_on_sp_co_ne/ncaa_indian_nicknames)

Bandera YaYa
08-05-2005, 02:41 PM
I do not view "Warriors or Redskins" as degrading at all...just as I don't view "Patriots or Cowboys" as degrading.....if we need a platform or project, let's concentrate on wiping out hunger in our country......I understand the protest here, but I bet a starving child wouldn't care if his school mascot was a Warrior or a Cowboy!!! :mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

pirate44
08-05-2005, 02:44 PM
one of my favorite schools, St. John's, changed their mascot from Redmen, to Red Storm.

i have Indian ancestry and i would LOVE it if there was a Fighting Choctaws. unfortunately, choctaws werent much of fighting indians.:D

Bandera YaYa
08-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
one of my favorite schools, St. John's, changed their mascot from Redmen, to Red Storm.

i have Indian ancestry and i would LOVE it if there was a Fighting Choctaws. unfortunately, choctaws werent much of fighting indians.:D Now that's the spirit.....Fighting Choctaws would be awesome.....!!!!!! :D

AP Panther Fan
08-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
I do not view "Warriors or Redskins" as degrading at all...just as I don't view "Patriots or Cowboys" as degrading.....if we need a platform or project, let's concentrate on wiping out hunger in our country......I understand the protest here, but I bet a starving child wouldn't care if his school mascot was a Warrior or a Cowboy!!! :mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I am with you on this one! The Today Show had some horrifying pictures of starving children on this morning. :eek:

I can't remember the name of the Country, but I haven't stopped thinking about those pictures all day!:(

Bandera YaYa
08-05-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I am with you on this one! The Today Show had some horrifying pictures of starving children on this morning. :eek:

I can't remember the name of the Country, but I haven't stopped thinking about those pictures all day!:( I know.....so I wish people would gripe about something worth griping about..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
08-05-2005, 04:26 PM
On behalf of American Indians across the country, I would like to express offense over any team named "Cowboys". My younger brothers played "Cowboys & Indians" with their friends when we were kids, and some of those cowboys were just down right mean. ;)

AP Panther Fan
08-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
On behalf of American Indians across the country, I would like to express offense over any team named "Cowboys". My younger brothers played "Cowboys & Indians" with their friends when we were kids, and some of those cowboys were just down right mean. ;)

LOL....aaaahhhh, the good ol' days.

I was never the cowboy or the Indian, but I probably served up some pretty good mud pies to them. :D

Old Dog
08-05-2005, 04:35 PM
I agree with YaYa, there are better things to get up tight about on this cruel ole world. Political correctness is completely out of hand these days.

3afan
08-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by pirate44

i have Indian ancestry and i would LOVE it if there was a Fighting Choctaws. unfortunately, choctaws werent much of fighting indians.:D

Mississippi College Choctaws

LINK (http://www.mc.edu/athletics/)