PDA

View Full Version : Wylie's Keenum signs with Houston

Adidas410s
08-04-2005, 11:40 AM
Wylie QB Keenum commits to Cougars
By Jacob Brown / Reporter-News Staff Writer
August 4, 2005

Case Keenum is Houston-bound.

Wylie's senior quarterback made his intentions known, orally committing to play football for the Cougars in 2006.

''I'm glad I got the decision over with before my senior year started,'' Keenum said. ''Now I get to concentrate on the Bulldogs and work for another state championship.''

While Keenum's focus is currently on his final high school season, he is excited for the opportunity to play college football on scholarship.

''It's something that a lot of people don't get to do, and it's a privilege that I'm not taking lightly,'' he said.

Houston was able to win him over with its coaching staff, namely head coach Art Briles and quarterbacks coach Philip Montgomery. Keenum said he was attracted to their system and commitment to improving as Briles - a former coach at Stephenville High School - enters his third season as the Cougar head coach.

''There's no doubt in my mind they're getting better,'' Keenum said. ''The program is definitely on the way up. Coach Briles does a good job and is going to continue to do a good job.''

Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer feels that his quarterback and Houston are great fits for each other, and that Briles and Montgomery were thrilled to get Keenum to commit.

''They're both very excited about getting Case to campus,'' Sandifer said. ''They feel he's the kind of kid they're looking for, and they like how competitive he is.''

Keenum has started 29 games in two years heading into his senior campaign. He was named to the all-District 4-3A first team offense last season after passing for 2,137 yards and 12 touchdowns with 540 yards on the ground and seven rushing scores. He led the Bulldogs to the program's first state championship, and expectations are as high for him and his team this year.

''We are expecting big things from Case, and I know he has high expectations for himself and our football team,'' Sandifer said. ''Hopefully we'll have a great season to finish up his high school career, and I know he'll do nothing but great things at the University of Houston.''

Gobbla2001
08-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Got 'em a good one...