PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Port Isabel Tarpons Preview

footballgal
08-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Tradition counts

2005 may be a rebuilding year for Port Isabel

Gabe Hernandez/Valley Morning Star
http://valleymorningstar.com/content/articles/2005/08/04/sports/sports1.jpg
Port Isabel quarterback Carr Grienier hands the ball off to a teammate during practice Wednesday afternoon.
By ELADIO JAIMEZ
eladioj@valleystar.com
956-430-6285

Lucky for them, the Port Isabel Tarpons are steeped in tradition because right now, that's what's getting them through practice.

Like every other Class 3A school in the state, the Tarpons began daily workouts on Monday for the 2005 season.

And with only two starters returning from last year's playoff team, head coach Monty Stumbaugh and his staff have their hands full finding the "right people" for the various open slots.

Fullback Ralph Valdez is the lone starter from 2004 returning on offense while linebacker Frankie Espinoza is the only starter coming back on the defensive side.

Still, Stumbaugh doesn't seem too worried.

For starters, 130 kids showed up for football practice on the first day. A count considerably larger than the 70 that came out in Stumbaugh's first year.

Right now numbers are Stumbaugh's best friends.

"The more kids we have out here the more we have to choose from," Stumbaugh said. "We're getting a lot of reps in and that's good."

Among the biggest shoes left to be filled are Frankie Herrera's, Johnny "Nitro" Nieto's and the Valley Morning Star's 2004 All-Valley MVP Lando Ochoa's.

Along with Ochoa, Herrera and Nieto were also VMS All-Valley selections, so Stumbaugh knows players like that aren't easily forgotten.

http://valleymorningstar.com/content/articles/2005/08/04/sports/sports1-2.jpg
Gabe Hernandez/Valley Morning Star
PI defensive coordinator Ross Moore explains a play to a group of Tarpons.

"Those kids are hard to replace," he said.

Which is why as much as numbers, tradition is gonna be a good friend of Stumbaugh's at practice these days.

"The kids know what they have to live up to here," Stumbaugh said. "We don't remind them about it. They hear about it at home. We just tell them to go out and play hard and have fun. But they know what's expected of them."

So Stumbaugh is confident the chips will fall into place as the preseason winds down and his Tarps get ready for the Los Fresnos Falcons in Week Zero.

PI plays in two scrimmages against Laredo United South at home and on the road at Mercedes before the Battle for Highway 100 against the Falcons on Aug 26.

Stumbaugh said the coaching staff would use the next couple of weeks wisely to assess the team and its strengths and weaknesses.

"We're gonna be evaluating them between now and the Los Fresnos game," Stumbaugh said. "Early on we're gonna play a lot of kids. We'll have some guys start on one side of the ball and spot play on the other."

Among those is Valdez. The junior showed promise as a running back last year but he'll see some playing time at linebacker this year as well.

Carr Grienier will switch over from the defensive side to play exclusively quarterback and Espinoza will start at linebacker. Outside of those three guys, most of the positions are still up for grabs.

"There's some guys out there that have practiced hard and possibly have a starting spot wrapped up, but there's still a lot of holes to fill," Stumbaugh said. "We're spending time to see who out here wants to play. They'll learn through experience,"

Despite the youthfulness of his team, Stumbaugh was confident his charges would step up.

Stumbaugh and his staff have spent the first week reviewing the offense and defense to get ready for the first scrimmage against United South.

"We're doing a lot of teaching right now," Stumbaugh said. "We're just working out in shorts right now and everyone looks like an All-American. We're teaching the basics because that's what you win with."

Aug 04, 2005 - 09:15:34 CDT

http://valleymorningstar.com/articles/2005/08/04//sports/sports1.txt (Article)

Old Green
08-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Coach Stumbaugh will fill in the right players in the right spot. P.I. just reloads with players.

Phil C
08-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Sinton will be rebuilding because we lost some key seniors.

AP Panther Fan
08-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
For starters, 130 kids showed up for football practice on the first day. A count considerably larger than the 70 that came out in Stumbaugh's first year.

That number alone is impressive! :thumbsup:

pirate4state
08-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
That number alone is impressive! :thumbsup: Nice to see you back and posting! :)

AP Panther Fan
08-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Nice to see you back and posting! :)

I am, sorta, but not really.:D

Still very busy at work, but will try to check in with you guys more often. I miss everyone!:)

espn1
08-04-2005, 05:52 PM
I went by PI's School last week. I almost feel like I'm out of Texas when I'm at South Padre. I might be in PI during week 0, do you open at Home?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-04-2005, 06:31 PM
No, PI's first game is in Week 0 @ Los Fresnos. The "Battle of Highway 100". Even though it's an away game, it's close enough to PI that you can go attend.

footballgal
08-04-2005, 09:35 PM
Hey TFINT, did you notice that your classmate Ross Moore, is now the defensive coordinator?? :eek:

footballgal
08-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by espn1
I went by PI's School last week. I almost feel like I'm out of Texas when I'm at South Padre....

Out of Texas? How so?

... I might be in PI during week 0, do you open at Home?
PI plays Los Fresnos who is now 5A and is still long, long time rival of PI, in the infamous "Battle of highway 100", I don't know if it will be a close game like years in the past. As Los Fresnos is expected to make the playoffs in their district, so while they will be polishing their potent offense, PI will be trying to field thier 11 best players on both sides of the ball. But being that it's a rival, one never knows how it will turn out. BTW, it's only a 20 min drive to Los Fresnos, you actually pass Los Fresnos before you get to PI.

footballgal
08-05-2005, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
Hey TFINT, did you notice that your classmate Ross Moore, is now the defensive coordinator?? :eek:

Never mind TFINT, the VMS made a mistake :rolleyes: and put that on the article, as it was verified that Coach Birchum is still the DC. :clap:

footballgal
08-17-2005, 09:06 PM
#9 Port Isabel Tarpons
http://www.themonitor.com/Photo/081705C3.jpg

Expectations set high for young Port Isabel squad
August 17,2005
Peter Rasmussen
The Monitor

PORT ISABEL — When told that his team was picked as the No. 9 ranked team in The Monitor’s preseason top 10, Port Isabel coach Monty Stumbaugh joked that The Monitor has not seen his team practice.

"What are you guys drinking over there?" Stumbaugh said.

The fifth-year coach knows that with the success his team had last year, expectations for the squad will be high this season.

But Stumbaugh wants to downplay outside expectations because of his team’s inexperience, although he maintains the goals from last season remain.

"The expectations stay the same for us," Stumbaugh said. "We want to win district, and we want to win the state championship. That’s what you want to do every year."

Last season, the team (11-2) fell in the third round of the playoffs after going undefeated in six District 32-3A games. Stumbaugh expects stiff competition in district this year, mainly because most teams return many lettermen."They all have a lot of kids coming back except for Raymondville and us," he said, adding that since his team is the returning district champion, all the teams in the district will be gunning for the Tarpons.

"Everyone wants to beat us because of our tradition," Stumbaugh said. "It is very good for your program when you beat a team with a lot of tradition. Getting on top was tough, but staying there is tougher."

He mentioned La Feria, Lyford and Hidalgo as three teams that can really challenge Port Isabel for tops in the district.

"If you don’t play on Friday nights in our district, you are going to get beat," he said. "The district is going to be interesting."

Other than district rivals, one concern Stumbaugh said he has is the depth at a few positions.

"We have depth at the skill positions," Stumbaugh said. "It is hard to tell at other positions, because it is early. There are a lot of kids fighting for positions. We need some young kids to step up"

Three Tarpons who will not be fighting for positions are senior tight end/defensive end Esteban Delgadillo, senior linebacker Frankie Espinosa and junior linebacker/fullback Ralph Valdez.

All three were a vital part of last season’s run and are expected to be the leaders of a young squad, Stumbaugh said.

JettJenkins04
08-17-2005, 10:14 PM
I remember in 03 when we played ya'll in the quater finals and we scored on the first play. I was thinking that this team was going to be a push over but you guys shut us up real quick. That was a great game and I hated to see it end. I was WR #4 and I had the last two touchdowns that the Raiders had scored.

Good luck to the Tarpons and remember tradition never dies

IHStangFan
08-17-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by JettJenkins04
I remember in 03 when we played ya'll in the quater finals and we scored on the first play. I was thinking that this team was going to be a push over but you guys shut us up real quick. That was a great game and I hated to see it end. I was WR #4 and I had the last two touchdowns that the Raiders had scored.

Good luck to the Tarpons and remember tradition never dies gonna be an interesting year! Phoenix huh?? From another Texan to Arizona transplant.....HOWDY!

footballgal
08-17-2005, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by JettJenkins04

Good luck to the Tarpons and remember tradition never dies
That was a great, great game for both teams, it could have gone either way. And just like it ended on who made the last play.

I have that game on DVD, I would be glad to get you a copy, of a playoff record game. I will have to look out for you next time I watch the game.

gobblerfan02
08-17-2005, 11:49 PM
Hey footballgal, next time you see Monty Stumbaugh, or if ya do, tell him one of the Koenig twins from Cuero said hello....he should remember us, we caused so much trouble for him in athletics it was unreal!.....I was also an aid for his wife when she taught at our junior high a few years back!

JettJenkins04
08-17-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
gonna be an interesting year! Phoenix huh?? From another Texan to Arizona transplant.....HOWDY!

How is it where you live at, where at in Arizona is your city located and what brought you here.

exbccards76'smom
08-18-2005, 05:26 AM
If I had my choice, I think I would retire to South Padre Island!! I loved it there!

MARLINDOGS
08-18-2005, 06:27 AM
Good luck .Have a great year.

footballgal
08-18-2005, 07:52 AM
Thanks Marlindogs, the same to your Bulldogs! gobblerfan02, when I see him, I will tell him hi for you! He is a great guy, good sense of humor, he is well liked by most if not all people in town, even in the RGV as a whole, he is well respected.