PDA

View Full Version : Daly fails to drive ball over Horseshoe Falls

AggieJohn
08-04-2005, 10:35 AM
NIAGARA FALLS, Ont. (CP) - He huffed and he puffed but John Daly couldn't drive a golf ball across the gorge at the Horseshoe Falls in a televised stunt Wednesday night.

The 39-year-old PGA Tour veteran, promoting a new golf course in the region that his company designed, smacked 20 balls from a platform at Table Rock in attempting to span the 342-yard distance to Goat Island in the Niagara River. The closest he got was on his second try when the ball caromed off the bottom of a wall just short of the target. The other balls disappeared into the mist that swirls above the falls.

Daly had a simple game plan: "Just to hit it as hard as I can."

As hard as he tried, Daly couldn't win the contest, which was billed as John Daly Versus Niagara Falls.

"That's all I've got right there," he said after his third attempt. "I killed that one."

After his eighth shot, he explained, "I'm trying to get it as high as I possibly can."

The spotter could hear the impact of Daly striking the balls above the roar of the falls.

"I can't hit it any better than that," Daly said after his 17th shot.

Daly helped open Thundering Waters Golf Club earlier in the day. The idea for the stunt arose from a brief trip to the region Daly made last year to check on construction progress. The new $15-million layout will be the site of the final stop on the Canadian Tour, Sept. 13-18.

Bandera YaYa
08-04-2005, 10:50 AM
I dunno....but Pillsbury Dough Boy came to mind when I saw him on tv......... :eek: :eek: :D

jason
08-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
I dunno....but Pillsbury Dough Boy came to mind when I saw him on tv......... :eek: :eek: :D i followed him for 9 holes at this years byron nelson...really nice guy, hits the ball a LONG ways....

AggieJohn
08-04-2005, 11:02 AM
he's just so massive