PDA

View Full Version : Why the Astros need another bat

GWOOD
08-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Per FoxSports.com news:

Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte and Roy Oswalt, as measured by Baseball Prospectus' Runs Prevented statistic, are on pace to be the greatest pitching trio in the history of the game. Yes, in the history of the game.

The Astros are not trying to just make the playoffs anymore. With a rotation like this, we need to think about making it to the World Series. Roger may not be back next year. Can Pettitte duplicate 2005 performance next year? Will Oswalt and Petitte stay healthy next year? Go for it all this year while you have the possible greatest trio of pitchers ever.

The trade deadline has passed but teams can still make deals...there is a waiver clause now which makes it harder. I wished we could add another good bat. The Astros tried, but it seems this year everybody was asking too much for a trade.

I still like the Adam Dunn possibility. Other possibilities I like are Lyle Overbay (Milwaukee), Jim Thome (Philadelphia), and Mike Sweeney (KC).

AggieJohn
08-03-2005, 10:09 AM
i say make a run for cabrera from florida

rhs78
08-03-2005, 10:39 AM
I say they need to get Jeff Kent back,batting 300,20 hrs.they had him and let him go. I know it won't happen but he would be a great fit.

AggieJohn
08-03-2005, 10:46 AM
nah he moved back to the LA region to be with his family

sahen
08-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Kent liked texas....but the dodgers wouldnt let him go anyways because even though they r playing horrible ball, they are in teh west and r still in it....

Gobbler Fan
08-03-2005, 05:23 PM
If they go get a bat I wouldnt want it to be Dunn he has a low BA and strikes out way to much .If they were to get a bat I would want 300ba with a lil pop he doesnt have to hit homeruns just someome who makes consistent contact .

Gobbla2001
08-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by rhs78
I say they need to get Jeff Kent back,batting 300,20 hrs.they had him and let him go. I know it won't happen but he would be a great fit.

I loved Kent... he was a real firey player... lots of emotion...

He still has a ranch in Texas, ya know, maybe when visiting it on off-nights, he can swing by minute-made and pose as our worst batter of the night...

It's just too hard to say...

Taveris has 20 bunts for hits the last time I checked, and can steal bases... biggio is still producing, berkman is back in the swing of things, ensberg is lighting it up, we need everett's defense and his offense isn't too shabby, lane's good, bruntlet (sp) is coming around and has come up huge in a couple of games here as of late... Ausmus had a fantastic July as well...

who do we get rid of?

GWOOD
08-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Taveris has 20 bunts for hits the last time I checked, and can steal bases... biggio is still producing, berkman is back in the swing of things, ensberg is lighting it up, we need everett's defense and his offense isn't too shabby, lane's good, bruntlet (sp) is coming around and has come up huge in a couple of games here as of late... Ausmus had a fantastic July as well...

who do we get rid of?

Gobbla, I was waiting for you to respond! I enjoy reading your comments about the Astros.

I think you would have to give up either Lane or Bruntlett and a couple of minor league pitchers. I would hate to lose Lane because I think next year he will be where Ensberg is this year, maybe better. But you would get a better hitter now. And that is the key to me.

I almost changed my mind two weeks ago reading your arguments for keeping the team together and making no trades. But our pitching staff is coming together so well that I no longer am thinking just make the playoffs. I believe our pitching staff is the best in the majors right now. The Cardinals may be #3. But if they get all their hitters healthy by playoffs, I think their #3 pitching staff will have better success against our offense than our #1 pitching staff will have against their awesome offensive lineup. Where will our pitching staff be next year? Can Clemens do it one more year with the success he is having this year? Pettitte and Oswalt are both having their best year. Can they both duplicate that next year? Will Astacio and Rodriguez be capable pitchers next year or will they be more like Carlos Hernandez (remember him)?

This could be the year to win it all. This team is reminding me of the Florida Marlins two years ago. One more good bat and I believe we go to the World Series this year.

AggieJohn
08-04-2005, 01:09 PM
i think we should keep it where it is right now