PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated Team ????

hutchfan
08-17-2003, 07:23 PM
Most Overrated team in the state??? In my opinion it is the Crandall Pirates. They have been pounded by Wilmer- Hutchins, the last 2 years, 28-0 (In the playoffs) and 42-16 (last year). What have they done? Nothing and the DMN rank them in the top ten. They are to slow. I am not saying that hutch should be in the top ten, they have a few questions in some important areas, but Crandall shouldn't be in the top ten.

3afan
08-17-2003, 09:09 PM
I tend to agree with ya - but only time will tell ...

jason
08-17-2003, 10:46 PM
i hate crandall

Blackcat03
08-18-2003, 01:06 AM
The Fairfield Eagles

District303aPastPlayer
08-18-2003, 02:35 AM
calallen wildcats :p :cool:
6 straight losses to the same team, and never once have played in the dance, yet talk more noise than most other teams ive heard.

<small>[ August 18, 2003, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: District303aPastPlayer ]</small>

Keith7
08-18-2003, 03:06 AM
after what happened in the scrimage, i would say forney

Chief Woodman
08-18-2003, 07:54 AM
Celina- living on past glory.

Fletch
08-18-2003, 09:58 AM
Woodhead,

And you've seen Celina play how many times?

What do you base your "overrated" on?

DMN has them behind Decatur, so you should be happy.

Jacket2000
08-18-2003, 10:53 AM
Calallen? Six straight trips to the state semifinals and you call'em overrated? Not many teams beat La Marque during those days, and I believe that La Marque was the only other team to make it to the semifinals all six of those years as well.
Celina? 4 straight state championships, 68 straight wins(12 of'em last year in 3a) and you call'em overrated? Hell, if anything Decatur is overrated. They have one good season in a decade against a padded schedule, and you all think they'll be playin' December. Im very shocked at these picks.
My picks would be Gainesville(always picked high, beat up on the bad teams but always choke in the big games) Wilmer Hutchins(same reason as Gainesville), Crandall(Always picked high, but Ive never seen'em advance past area), Altar Rice(alotta hype, but have never impressed me), and, I know this isnt 3a, but by far the most overrated team in the state....Highland Park.
J2K

jason
08-18-2003, 10:59 AM
i agree...
9-3A prediction:

Celina
Pilot Point
Pottsboro
Gainesville
Van Alstyne
Whitesboro

:D :D :D :D :D

MonkeyJoe
08-18-2003, 11:06 AM
Dang Jason, u hatin on g-ville or just tryin to get a rise out of Keith?

9-3a is gonna go like this...
Gainesville
Pilot Point
Celina
Pottsboro
Van Alstyne
Whitesboro

jason
08-18-2003, 11:09 AM
just playin...in easily amused :D :D

Chief Woodman
08-18-2003, 11:33 AM
Jacket, the question was about this years team, not what happened 2-5 years ago. Yeh jacket Celina...last year they barely beat Pottsboro...less than a touchdown as I recall (although I could be mistaken) That was the same Pottsboro team that Decatur beat 56-0 the same year. Padded schedule? Granted not the toughest in the world, but it included three 4A schools....How many 4A schools did Celina play? The Decatur schedule including scrimmages had two teams Celina played...Decatur mashed both of them, Celina squeeked by both of them. Two of the other teams Celina played, Whitesboro and Van Alstyne- can't get any more padded than that if you played sister mary's home for the blind. So if you call the schedules padded, then Celina had a padded schedule as well. Winning a state championship 2-5 years ago has little to do with the quality of this years team, Espically since the Coach left. If your logic was sound, then Brownwwod, because of what Gordon Wood did there years ago should be one of the top ten teams in the state based on History. Heck if history put points on the board, then Pilot Point will be the state champ because they have the coach with the most wins in history. You are probably the guy who said Decatur was a flash in the pan (FITP). My bet is that by the end of the regular season Decatur will have as many wins or more than Celina....against a tougher schedule, or at least one that is not as padded. Give Celina Decatur's schedule last year and they would not have went 10-0 in MHO. Give Decatur Celina's schedule last year, and in district the only contest would have been Gainsville. You have the right to disagree, but time will tell. Go FITP Decatur!

<small>[ August 18, 2003, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Chief Woodman ]</small>

MonkeyJoe
08-18-2003, 11:56 AM
District 7-3A District 9-3a
Decatur 12-1 Celina 11-1
Bridgeport 8-3 Gainesville 10-2
Lake Dallas 3-8 Pilot Point 7-4
Lake Worth 2-8 Pottsboro 6-4
Sanger 3-7 Van Alstyne 4-6
Little Elm 2-8 Whitesboro 3-7

just based on district looks like Decatur has the more "padded" schedule.

jason
08-18-2003, 11:59 AM
well, they were pbviously 5-0 on district...and also 5-0 in non-district...who were the non-district opponents??

Keith7
08-18-2003, 12:18 PM
Decatur's Non-district opponents

NRH Birdville 2-8
Pottsboro 6-4 (pottsboro's star running back was injured in this game)
Breckenridge 5-5
Mineral Wells 3-7
Spring town 6-5

merlin69
08-18-2003, 12:38 PM
after hearing a few opinions on the scrimmage, i would have to agree with keith, forney might be gettin a little too much credit...

Jacket2000
08-18-2003, 01:32 PM
For those of you who like to use scrimmages as a forecast for the upcoming season, here's a little story for ya.
In '98, Ferris(3a) scrimmaged Seagovile(4a). Ferris completely dominated Seagovile. Im not sure of the exact score, but I know that Ferris scored at least 8 TDs(if not more) to Seagovile's 1. Seagovile went on to make the playoffs(4a) with a 7-4 record. Ferris, on the other hand, went on to a 2-8 record against only 3a competition.
So, it might be a good idea to take scrimmages for they're worth; glorified practices.
J2K

vet93
08-18-2003, 01:43 PM
I think that the most overrated and underrated team is the same team...Abilene Wylie. For those who put Wylie in the top 15 of some polls...they are using past history alone as the only basis for that high of a ranking...On the other hand, those who are predicting that Wylie will be a "dog" (pun intended) because they only return a few starters may be quite surprised. Wylie always graduates a load and returns alot of kids with playing time by design. They will be in the mix of things again this year.

Chief Woodman
08-18-2003, 02:36 PM
Three of those non-district teams decatur played were 4A....How many 4A teams did Celina play against?

3afan
08-18-2003, 02:38 PM
Keith7:
after what happened in the scrimage, i would say forneythats silly - its like making your super bowl prediction based on the first preseason game

<small>[ August 18, 2003, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

3afan
08-18-2003, 02:41 PM
Chief Woodman:
Three of those non-district teams decatur played were 4A....How many 4A teams did Celina play against?4A shmo-A ... depends on WHO they were !!! Celina could have played 2A teams and had a tougher non-district schedule ...

Chief Woodman
08-18-2003, 03:10 PM
4a shmo-A a 4A playoff team vs Celina's really tough 1-9 2 A opponent Went and looked for my self......Decatur beat a 4A playoff team....Celina non-district schedule....

C 56 Deleon 0 (a 1-9 2A school...yeah that was tough
C62 Sanger 34 (Star running back injured 3-7 Decatur beat them 54-21)
C56- Pinkston 0 ( 1-9 another tough team)
C 28 Lake Dallas 7 (3-7 Decatur beat them 54-6)
C 35 Little Elm 14 (2-8 Decatur beat them 34-0 )

Overall regular season records of Celina's competition- 40-60, including a great 1-9 2A school

Overall regular season record of Decatur's competition 40-60, including a 4A playoff team....

So my point is...if you say Decatur's schedule was weak...Celina's was just as weak, maybe more so (A 1-9 2A for Celina vs a playoff 4A for Decatur) Combined scores of 5 common opponents..
Decatur 198-27 Celina 153-76 So yes it is still my opinion...Celina is over rated

MonkeyJoe
08-18-2003, 03:28 PM
OK so both Decatur and Celina played some bad teams and both really only had one challenge the whole regular season (bridgeport, and gainesville) and both teams met it. Hence the unbeaten regular season. but that record only gets you into the playoffs, and the fact is both teams had heartbreaking losses (a FG and an extra point). Celina wasnt overrated last year for sure. any first year 3a team that has 350 kids and goes up against schools almost twice their size and comes out with a 11-1 record, and a top ten ranking is not overrated...this year they are without Sharrock(RB), and Roby(WR)..but they still have the same O-line and QB, so maybe they wont have the same success as last year or the years past but they will still have pride, and heart, and talent..and that wins football games
Good luck to both teams this year !

Atl_Rabb_Fan
08-18-2003, 04:44 PM
Chief Woodman:
Celina- living on past glory.Celina is still one heck of a team. They owned 2A while they were there and had one heck of a season in their first year in 3A. They mad the playoffs and made it to the second or third round not sure but only lost to Daingerfield by a missed extra point. A 63-1 record over the past few years doesnt sound over rated to me.

Keith7
08-18-2003, 04:58 PM
Atl_Rabb_Fan:

Chief Woodman:
Celina- living on past glory.Celina is still one heck of a team. They owned 2A while they were there and had one heck of a season in their first year in 3A. They mad the playoffs and made it to the second or third round not sure but only lost to Daingerfield by a missed extra point. A 63-1 record over the past few years doesnt sound over rated to me.68-1

3afan
08-18-2003, 05:35 PM
Chief - good grief, WHO was the 4A playoff team that boosts Decatur's schedule so much !?!?!?

Old Cardinal
08-18-2003, 06:59 PM
Chief Woodman, You sure use good logic to your advantage....You have me convinced that Decatur would roll over Celina, if given the chance this season...

<small>[ August 18, 2003, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

jason
08-18-2003, 07:36 PM
3afan:
Chief - good grief, WHO was the 4A playoff team that boosts Decatur's schedule so much !?!?!?showing a little emotion?? eek!

the tigers are back
08-18-2003, 09:00 PM
marlin bulldogs and lagrange kittens wink

3afan
08-18-2003, 09:21 PM
jason:

3afan:
Chief - good grief, WHO was the 4A playoff team that boosts Decatur's schedule so much !?!?!?showing a little emotion?? eek! not hardly ..........

Chief Woodman
08-18-2003, 09:26 PM
Never said Celina was over rated in years past. In fact their accomplishments are almost unbelieveable. But the question is who is the most over rated team.... I take it since the question is in the present tense it would mean this year. J2k said padded schedule...I NEVER said Decatur had a hard schedule......but if theirs is padded, stats bear out that so was Celinas. Just put some comparisons to make my point rather than making a statement that defys all logic like J2K did. Unless he can prove that somehow Celina had a hard schedule. Again this is about this year .....Not 1940, 1920, or even 2002. Past accomplishments are just that...in the past. And the 4A playoff team...Springtown.(much better than the 1-9 2A Deleon)..lost to Denton Ryan in the first round. Then again, nobody beat that team in the playoffs.

CHS_CG
08-18-2003, 09:37 PM
Not to be hating on Marlin,yeah they are great but they arent like (I had to use this term) football Gods. Some people(ok alot of ppl) make them out to be just that. Trust me I know they are good but they are a tad over rated to me.

jason
08-18-2003, 09:41 PM
ill see when i watch them play burnet this season...

Jacket2000
08-18-2003, 11:36 PM
Chief Woodman:
Never said Celina was over rated in years past. In fact their accomplishments are almost unbelieveable. But the question is who is the most over rated team.... I take it since the question is in the present tense it would mean this year. J2k said padded schedule...I NEVER said Decatur had a hard schedule......but if theirs is padded, stats bear out that so was Celinas. Just put some comparisons to make my point rather than making a statement that defys all logic like J2K did. Unless he can prove that somehow Celina had a hard schedule. Again this is about this year .....Not 1940, 1920, or even 2002. Past accomplishments are just that...in the past. And the 4A playoff team...Springtown.(much better than the 1-9 2A Deleon)..lost to Denton Ryan in the first round. Then again, nobody beat that team in the playoffs.Celina won 68 straight games and had to rebuild nearly every season. Decatur has had ONE decent season against a less than competitive schedule. Call me when you've got at least 2 conesecutive seasons with better than 5-5 records.
J2K

<small>[ August 19, 2003, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: Jacket2000 ]</small>

BigW
08-19-2003, 12:28 PM
Vet,
I agree with you on both counts about the Wylie program. It is almost impossible to look at the returning letterman/starters and rate the Wylie program. You really never know until the season starts.
I feel like the Ballinger/Wylie game will be another great one!

District303aPastPlayer
08-19-2003, 01:19 PM
most overrated team? any team that says that, after "beating" a team in their first scrimmage, will dominate the entire state, just because they "beat" another team in a glorified practice.

Chief Woodman
08-19-2003, 01:58 PM
Thats a deal Jacket....I'll be calling you around week 6 or 7....lol

Gobbla2001
08-19-2003, 02:01 PM
Yah, scrimmages don't mean too much, but it is exciting when you do well against a good team... Last year we went 5-6, La Grange went to the Regional Finals in 3A D2, we beat 'em 5-1 in our first scrimmage, and I honestly believe they would have beaten us in the regular season...

Dunno about this year though, hopefully history doesn't repeat itself cuz we beat 'em again...

Gobbla2001
08-19-2003, 02:06 PM
Celina's Celina...

I can recall everyone, even Celina folks saying last year that they wouldn't do well their first year up...

Oops...

Calallen overrated? 5 rounds deep consistantly? My gosh, that's consistant... Think about it, if you make it to the 5th round in 4A D2, at that point and time there are only six teams remaining in the 4A D1 and D2 brackets put together, which would be an automatic #6 ranking...

Some of you guys just hate tradition, that's what I think...

JasperDog94
08-19-2003, 02:10 PM
This thread wasn't about tradition. It was about a team being overrated. Maybe I assumed that we were talking about this year.

Gobbla2001
08-19-2003, 02:18 PM
Yah, we were talking about this year, but when you open up your eyes AND your brain you'd realize that both teams meantioned as overrated HAVE tradition...

Oh, and the ones mentioning them? From schools withOUT tradition...

Sounds like jealousy to me...

Chief Woodman
08-19-2003, 02:57 PM
Gobbla Dude...ya got me all wrong. I am not jealous at all. In fact I highly admire Celina for what they have accomplished, and I have a deep respect for traditiion (that comes from being raised by a Marine Drill Instructor). I doubt the streak they set will ever be broken. Just that I was answering a question....and I do think they are overated this year. I could be wrong, time will tell. Most of my posts on this thread was in response to comments made, and was not trying to convince degrade anything Celina has accomplished. Go FITP-PS (padded schedule) Decatur!

crzyjournalist03
08-19-2003, 04:34 PM
District303aPastPlayer:
most overrated team? any team that says that, after "beating" a team in their first scrimmage, will dominate the entire state, just because they "beat" another team in a glorified practice.mark that down as a vote for Gainesville.