PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper Labor

ILS1
08-02-2005, 03:12 PM
My company informed us today that in the next 2 or 3 years all of our jobs will be shipped over to China. Our new plant over there just recently opened up there. Then they asked for volunteers to go to China in about 3 weeks to train them on our jobs!! In other words,to train our replacements!! The training trip will last around a month. They asked me to go but I'm not sure I wanna be gone that long. I would miss a month of football,I'm not sure I'd like the food or the culture over there. I would love to visit a foreign country but not under these circumstances. Some rumors are already going around that layoffs will start next week. And the eventual shutdown of our plant will be SOONER than later. I kinda wish now that would offer me a severance package to leave. I'll keep ya'll posted. Damn,cheap labor!!!

:( :(

injuredinmelee
08-02-2005, 03:21 PM
Can you imagine training them with the language barrier? Oh sure some of em may speak it but all of them wont. Id probably do it though and get every cent out of them that you can.

LH Panther Mom
08-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Oh, man! Sorry to hear that. :( I hope all turns out well.

spiveyrat
08-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Sorry to hear about your job.

Language barrier is just that, a barrier. A few years ago, we were having to help some Russians who were doing work for my company. It was hell trying to decipher some of their emails!

If you let us know what you do, maybe some 3ADL members can help you find another job...

AggieJohn
08-02-2005, 03:37 PM
that sucks

Phil C
08-02-2005, 04:21 PM
It sounds like outsourcing to me! Back before the civil war the south could get goods cheaper overseas so the north industry big boys got tariffs on goods from overseas so they could be cheaper. Now with that outsourcing whether it be labor or goods we need to bring back tariffs because in principle it is like importing goods and labor here robbing Americans of their livelihood which was just what the north complained about in pre civil and post civil war days thus bringing back tariffs. I think that is the only solution. Plus those of us that stay here in the USA and pay taxes could get some tax relief. We need an outsource tariff. Come on Congressmen! Get with it! Save our jobs and citizens and give us a break (which I use very loosely because all you are doing is the right thing helping us keep jobs and pay taxes). Make outsourcing expensive with the tariffs to where it is not profitable to do so. Do it now!

Phil C
08-02-2005, 04:23 PM
And another thing is that we have never used is expirating. I will let the intellectuals correct me on this term but it is what happened when Castro took over Cuba and sent the American sugar and tobacco owners back to USA and took over the industry for himself (notice I said it was for himself and not the poor Cubans). The only thing is it would benefit us maybe.

Pardon my poor expressing and probably misuse of terms but I hope you get my general idea.

AggieJohn
08-02-2005, 04:28 PM
not to be rude phil but i don't think he's in a mood for a history lesson with his being "let go"

Phil C
08-02-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
not to be rude phil but i don't think he's in a mood for a history lesson with his being "let go"

I know what you mean but I was trying to make a valid point about why he is let go and what can be done about it.

AggieJohn
08-02-2005, 04:52 PM
and i'm not trying to "one up" you either

peace love and 3adl

Phil C
08-02-2005, 04:52 PM
Outsourcing bottom line is that Americans are out of jobs that foreigners get. I believe in helping foreign nations but not at the expense of our own losing jobs. I am sorry about your loss of job ILS1 and didn't mean to show insensitivity to your delima.

Phil C
08-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Ok. I am off my soap box now. ISL5 what type of work do you do? If there is anything we on the downlow can do to help you get another job we can be on the lookout. Just let us know.

ILS1
08-02-2005, 05:20 PM
Plus those of us that stay here in the USA and pay taxes could get some tax relief. We need an outsource tariff. Come on Congressmen! Get with it! Save our jobs and citizens and give us a break (which I use very loosely because all you are doing is the right thing helping us keep jobs and pay taxes). Make outsourcing expensive with the tariffs to where it is not profitable to do so. Do it now!

Amen to that Phil!!! LOL!!!

Thanks for everyones concern but I still have a job as of RIGHT NOW!! But who knows in the next couple weeks and months. Like I said earlier,everyone believes the axe is gonna start falling next week. I would love to go China and help train them but I don't think I will. It's not any bitterness,I just don't feel like going. We had a feeling it was gonna happen when they first told us they were opening one there. Thanks again

:D

turbostud
08-02-2005, 05:58 PM
I just bought two pair of running shoes the other day. I was particularly looking for Nike. I got curious and looked inside the shoe to see where it was made. It was made in Thailand. So I got even more curious and started looking at other brands.

Reebok/Made in China
New Balance/Made in China
Adidas/Made in China

You cant even get a pair of running shoes that are made in America these days!

BIGGBROTHER
08-02-2005, 06:10 PM
ILS1 if it goes down you and your family can come eat at my restaurant for free till you get back up

Mandy
08-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by BIGGBROTHER
ILS1 if it goes down you and your family can come eat at my restaurant for free till you get back up

yeah, I'll totally remember that dvd.

ILS1
08-02-2005, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by BIGGBROTHER

Thanks BB,I really appreciate the offer. But I'll be ok,when it happens. Where do you own a restaurant? What's the name of it? I might come by and say "Hi".

:D

pirate44
08-02-2005, 07:23 PM
that's terrible news. me and my family will keep you in our prayers. we wish the best for you.