PDA

View Full Version : Another Basebell Suspension: Mariners Pitcher Franklin Suspended 10 Days

ILS1
08-02-2005, 02:59 PM
DETROIT (AP) -- Seattle Mariners pitcher Ryan Franklin was suspended 10 days for violating his sport's steroids policy, the eighth major league player caught under the tougher rules enacted this year prohibiting performance-enhancing substances.

The announcement Tuesday came one day after Orioles slugger Rafael Palmeiro was suspended after testing positive for steroids.

Franklin, a 32-year-old right-hander, is 6-11 this season with a 4.61 ERA in 22 games, including 20 starts. He was expected to talk with reporters later Tuesday.

"We are disappointed to learn this news, but at the direction of Major League Baseball, and, following its rules, we are not able to comment further," Mariners spokesman Tim Hevly said.

The Mariners play at the Tigers at Detroit's Comerica Park on Tuesday night.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Another MLB Suspension (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/baseball/mlb/08/02/bc.bba.drugs.franklin.ap/index.html?cnn=yes)

Phil C
08-02-2005, 04:26 PM
OMG! More terrible news indeed! What is coming with our great American passtime sport! Randolph Scott and Fred Astair used to go see the LA Dodgers play. :(

AggieJohn
08-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
OMG! More terrible news indeed! What is coming with our great American passtime sport! Randolph Scott and Fred Astair used to go see the LA Dodgers play. :(
HAHAH

LH Panther Mom
08-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the new policy take effect before the season started? In a way, I can understand the guys that got "busted" right after it went into effect, but this late in the season, there's absolutely no reason for these idgits to think they can get away with it. I don't know all the specifics of the policy, but it seems that every player should've had to pass the test at the start and random tests after. Obviously, they're performing the random tests, but does anyone happen to know if they tested everyone at the beginning?

Bulldog92
08-02-2005, 10:39 PM
I live up here and Franklin said basically the same thing Raffy did. The funny thing is that Ryan might be 180 soaking wet. He's 10-27 since the beginning of 2004. I guess this taints those wins and ruins any chance he has of making the Hall of Fame...:D

sicem74
08-02-2005, 10:42 PM
lol where is baseball coming to yall

Bulldog92
08-03-2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by sicem74
lol where is baseball coming to yall I don't think the M's play baseball anymore...lol. On a serious note, Felix Hernandez makes his first career start for the Mariners Thursday in Detroit. He's 19 and some scouts call him the best pitching prospect since Doc Gooden. He'll be great here and will be traded for a bag of balls and a tub of bubble gum right before he hits his prime. That always happens here and it sucks.