PDA

View Full Version : Eyeing a comeback (Victoria Advocate Article)

Gobbla2001
08-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Eyeing a comeback
Cuero's Cooper happy to get back on field

http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/ips_rich_content/CUERO_PRACTICE_02_sm.jpg

August 2, 2005
MIKE FORMAN
Advocate Sports Writer

CUERO - The first day of two-a-day football practices isn't normally considered fun, but Latrael Cooper seemed to be enjoying himself Monday.

Cuero running back Latrael Cooper, who has already committed to Texas A&M, is eager to get back into action after missing all of last year with a knee injury. Cuero and most other teams around the Advocate area began preseason football workouts Monday.

Cooper was practicing for the first time since injuring his left knee in a scrimmage last season that sidelined him for his entire junior year.

"The best thing was just being around everybody like I used to," Cooper said. "That and being able to run like I used to."

Cooper has been doing a lot of running and rehabilitation since undergoing an operation to repair torn anterior, lateral, and posterior ligaments in his knee. But Cooper has been looking forward to testing his knee and the new brace he received on Friday and wore during Monday's practices.

"I've got to get used to getting back on it," Cooper said of his knee. "I've got to get reacquainted with it when it comes to cutting and everything. I just take it day-by-day. Every day is day-by-day for me."

Cooper was the Advocate's Newcomer of the Year as a sophomore after rushing for 1,268 yards and 18 touchdowns. He also ran a 10.62-second 100-meter dash as a sophomore and was one of the most highly recruited running backs in the state. Despite the injury, Cooper announced a commitment in April to attend Texas A&M.

Cuero coach Mark Reeve plans to ease Cooper back into action. Reeve will be extremely cautious when the Gobblers begin practicing in pads Friday.

"We've put him through a battery of full-speed cuts and the strength is there," Reeve said. "The doctors tell us that (left) leg is a lot stronger than the other leg. We're just going to see how he does. There's no rush for us to get him back. When he feels comfortable, that's when we'll crank him up."

While Cooper appeared tentative at times on Monday, he went through the entire practice, made a twisting catch during passing drills, and ran wind sprints with his teammates.

"I'm just trying to get my feet under me, do my running, and get back in shape," the 6-foot-2, 215-pound Cooper said. "I need to get all the basics down. When we call a certain play, I'm kind of relearning it."

Reeve has no plans to play Cooper in either of Cuero's scrimmages - at Lockhart on Aug. 13 and at home against Gregory-Portland on Aug. 19 - but admits those plans could change.

"It's just a matter of him being comfortable with us and us being comfortable with him," Reeve added. "We've been a season without him and we'd just as soon not go another. We're going to make sure he's ready."

Cooper promises to be ready to play when the season starts, and insists his mind will be focused on the present instead of the past.

"I was told not to think about it," Cooper said of the injury. "If I think about it, there are more chances I will get hit. If I don't think about it, that will give me more chances to think about the game."

AggieJohn
08-02-2005, 12:39 PM
whoop!

AggieJohn
08-02-2005, 12:40 PM
i think cuero will be my team for the year, ya know

Old Green
08-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i think cuero will be my team for the year, ya know Good choice!!!!:devil:

Sounds like Cooper is ready.

chubbed_up
08-02-2005, 09:19 PM
so much expectation from such a young man. sounds a little cruel to me but maybe its cause hes one of my bestfriends and i know what he goes through everyday. hes a great football player but hes a great man too he deserves more respect than people hounding him all the time about being the best in the state, yes he is but still...

TAMUGRAD
08-02-2005, 09:43 PM
He deserves respect because he is respectful of others, very polite young man.

bigbass
08-02-2005, 09:48 PM
glad 2 see him back.i have 1 ?is he the only player back on offense?dave cambell has u ranked number 1.i dont see u guys doing much with 1 offensive player back.defense ok but defense dont win games.o by the way im a jasper bulldog.

heres my predictions

jasper will win it all eaither division

wos fan1
08-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by bigbass
glad 2 see him back.i have 1 ?is he the only player back on offense?dave cambell has u ranked number 1.i dont see u guys doing much with 1 offensive player back.defense ok but defense dont win games.o by the way im a jasper bulldog.

heres my predictions

jasper will win it all eaither division :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Gobbler Fan
08-02-2005, 09:59 PM

heres my predictions

Yes thats Cuero's offensive scheme this year line up one player on offense and go for broke . The other 10 will be manning the First down markers and we will be rotating the others in as officials . Oh and we have the 5 sec rule *you cant tackle our lone offensive player until you count to 5 * :rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
08-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
Yes thats Cuero's offensive scheme this year line up one player on offense and go for broke . The other 10 will be manning the First down markers and we will be rotating the others in as officials . Oh and we have the 5 sec rule *you cant tackle our lone offensive player until you count to 5 * :rolleyes:

Cool! Can I watch? :D :clap: :clap:

cat dog horse
08-02-2005, 10:03 PM

heres my predictions

how could he be the only player back on offense if he didnt play last year?

gobblerfan02
08-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by cat dog horse

JT Rudd, all - state TE, back on offense!

44INAROW
08-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by cat dog horse
OMG,, I just spit my coke on the screen..... nice one :cool:

bulldogbark
08-02-2005, 10:37 PM
do you think that the UIL will allow us to play in both divisions, Man i hope so instead of just a 16 game season we could go with a 22 game season. Hey we might be able to jump up to 4A if we still have a little time at the end. please please please:p :p :p :p :p Just some old bulldog humor.

sicem74
08-02-2005, 10:48 PM
o by the way im a jasper bulldog.heres my predictions jasper will win it all eaither division

lol ur funny lol man o man but no need to talk...........a 10.62 as a sophmore dude that is fast real fast i wonder what he runs now!