PDA

View Full Version : Official press release by Rafael Palmeiro

Keith7
08-01-2005, 12:52 PM
here is the press reliese from palmeiro, i figured some body might be interested...

Thank you very much for joining me on this call today. I am saddened that we are here to address this issue, but because of the importance of it, I feel the need to make a brief statement and address your questions. At the outset, let me say that under the rules of the basic agreement and the order of the independent arbitrator, there is an order of confidentiality governing the specifics of this case. I will attempt to state as much as I can and be as forthright as possible, but there will be issues I can't address based on orders imposed on me by the basic agreement and the arbitration process.

I am here to make it very clear that I have never intentionally used steroids. Never. Ever. Period.

When I found out that I failed a test under the new drug policy, I filed a grievance and challenged the suspension on the basis that I have never intentionally taken a banned substance. Ultimately, although I never intentionally put a banned substance into my body - the independent arbitrator ruled that I had to be suspended under the terms of the program.

I am sure you will ask how I tested positive for a banned substance. As I look back, I don't have a specific answer to give. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to explain to the arbitrator how the banned substance entered my body. The arbitrator did not find that I used a banned substance intentionally - in fact, he said he found my testimony to be compelling - but he ruled that I could not meet the heavy burden imposed on players who test positive under the new drug policy.

I accept this punishment and want to address it publicly. I want to apologize to MLB, the Baltimore Orioles organization, my teammates, and most of all, my fans. Given my role with the No Tolerance Committee and my relationships with Congress, I feel the need to communicate a serious message to my fellow players and to kids everywhere. All of us have to be responsible and exercise extreme care in what we put in our body. I hope that all MLB players and kids will learn from what has happened to me. I have never intentionally used a banned substance, but I unfortunately wasn't careful enough.

I take my role as a professional athlete seriously. I love baseball and have great respect for all of the players who played before me. I have always done my best to live each day in ways that would make my family proud. Everything I have accomplished is the result of hard work and dedication to being the best possible player I can be.

I feel terrible that this has happened, but I think there is something to be gained from it. If my situation results in the education of current and future players about the dangers of taking anything without a prescription from a licensed physician -- that is a positive. At the end of the day, it is important for all players to understand the risk of contamination and to be very careful about what they put in their body.

This suspension is going to be incredibly difficult for me, my wife and my 2 boys. Over the next week and a half, I am going to spend time with my family. I am going to come back and will be as determined as ever to help the Orioles win this pennant race that we are in. We have worked very hard to be in a position to bring our fans a title, and I will not let this be a distraction.

Finally, I would like to thank Commissioner Selig and Mr. Angelos for their strong words of encouragement. I had the opportunity to speak with both of them and I am extremely appreciative of their support and friendship.

TAMUGRAD
08-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Now.... how many of you believe that he does not know how those steriods got into his body, and how many still think Jose Canseco is lying?

JasperDog94
08-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by TAMUGRAD
...how many still think Jose Canseco is lying? I was just thinking about that.

HighSchool Fan
08-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by TAMUGRAD
Now.... how many of you believe that he does not know how those steriods got into his body, and how many still think Jose Canseco is lying?

i wonder if that is what they teach you so say when you go to Balco. it's the same thing bonds said.

JasperDog94
08-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i wonder if that is what they teach you so say when you go to Balco. it's the same thing bonds said. It's part of their 12 step program.;)

spiveyrat
08-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Keith7

I am here to make it very clear that I have never intentionally used steroids. Never. Ever. Period.

"I want you to listen to me. I'm going to say this again. I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky.
I never told anybody to lie, not a single time – never."

Not trying to make a political statement or discussion here. I just thought the similarities in the statements was interesting.

*Moderators, if I stepped over the line, go ahead and delete my post.

injuredinmelee
08-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Rafe you just broke my heart I chose to believe him during the senate hearings now im not so sure.

rockdale80
08-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
"I want you to listen to me. I'm going to say this again. I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky.
I never told anybody to lie, not a single time – never."

Not trying to make a political statement or discussion here. I just thought the similarities in the statements was interesting.

*Moderators, if I stepped over the line, go ahead and delete my post.

Call me crazy but that sounds political...whether you are trying to make it that way or not.

spiveyrat
08-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Call me crazy but that sounds political...whether you are trying to make it that way or not.

Like I said, they can delete it if they want to. If you don't like my post, report it to a moderator.

rockdale80
08-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Like I said, they can delete it if they want to. If you don't like my post, report it to a moderator.

Amazing...I have laid off on making comments about things like that and you still keep it going.

setex
08-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Today Ryne Sandberg of the Cubs was inducted to the Hall of Fame. I refuse to mentioned the name of the player who will no doubt take away the headlines of Sandberg's day.

"If there's a single reason I'm here, it's because of one word: respect," said Sandberg, whose voice never cracked. "I was taught to respect the game above everything else. I was in awe every time I walked on the field. That's respect. I was taught you never, ever disrespect your opponents or your teammates or your organization or your manager. And never, ever disrespect your uniform. "

turbostud
08-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by setex
Today Ryne Sandberg of the Cubs was inducted to the Hall of Fame. I refuse to mentioned the name of the player who will no doubt take away the headlines of Sandberg's day.

"If there's a single reason I'm here, it's because of one word: respect," said Sandberg, whose voice never cracked. "I was taught to respect the game above everything else. I was in awe every time I walked on the field. That's respect. I was taught you never, ever disrespect your opponents or your teammates or your organization or your manager. And never, ever disrespect your uniform. "

Didnt Palmeiro supposedly steal Sandbergs wife back in the 80's. What are the chances of this happening? Steals his wife and then steals his headlines on his induction. That has got to be the worst thing that can happen to a man.

Gobbla2001
08-01-2005, 09:36 PM

No, it's not political... it just happens to be one of the most documented lies over the last however many years...

Though Clinton was involved in politics, his relations with 'that woman' were not political... they were 'personal'...

Clinton's problem has been used as an example in this thread, not as political leverage etc... it was a personal problem with him, not political though repub's may have made it out to be (that's the only political part of my thread, I mentioned 'repubs', and I am one, just wanna make this clear so I am not corrected and this thread becomes political)...

I guess if we go by your logic, j, we cannot mention Crawford, Texas because that's where Bush's ranch is... which belongs to Bush personally, not politically...

District303aPastPlayer
08-01-2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by scotty

for arguements sake... can this post i just quoted be deleted?

rockdale80
08-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
No, it's not political... it just happens to be one of the most documented lies over the last however many years...

Though Clinton was involved in politics, his relations with 'that woman' were not political... they were 'personal'...

Clinton's problem has been used as an example in this thread, not as political leverage etc... it was a personal problem with him, not political though repub's may have made it out to be (that's the only political part of my thread, I mentioned 'repubs', and I am one, just wanna make this clear so I am not corrected and this thread becomes political)...

I guess if we go by your logic, j, we cannot mention Crawford, Texas because that's where Bush's ranch is... which belongs to Bush personally, not politically...

Yes you can mention Crawford. That is an irrational comparison, and way off tangent. I didn't take it any farther than to say I thought it was political. I have my reasons for seeing that way, as I am sure you have yours for not.

sicem74
08-01-2005, 09:46 PM
i knew that dude was on roids i knew it!

pirate44
08-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
for arguements sake... can this post i just quoted be deleted?
im all for that, but your post would have to be deleted too. unless of course you edit it.

Gobbla2001
08-01-2005, 09:47 PM
Yes you can mention Crawford. That is an irrational comparison, and way off tangent. I didn't take it any farther than to say I thought it was political. I have my reasons for seeing that way, as I am sure you have yours for not.

fair 'nuff... back to palmeiro...

Though his statement seemed all deep and stuff, is it just me or does it seem like something a publicist came up with and he agreed that it sounded 'good' etc...?

I hope not, I really do...

District303aPastPlayer
08-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
im all for that, but your post would have to be deleted too. unless of course you edit it.

id edit it, but in theory, it would be edited because the source of the quote would no longer be there...

rockdale80
08-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
fair 'nuff... back to palmeiro...

Though his statement seemed all deep and stuff, is it just me or does it seem like something a publicist came up with and he agreed that it sounded 'good' etc...?

I hope not, I really do...

Not to sound like a pessimist, but I would bet that there are many more players out there that use performance enhancing drugs. They just never get caught. I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised

turbostud
08-01-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by scotty
I didn't know about him sealing Sandburg's wife and just because I read it on this post I don't know that it is fact.
However, I do remember him (Palmero) doing the Viagera commercials and maybe that is what got him in all the trouble...no telling how those drugs might work. And we can only assume at the way it may have worked on Sanburg's ex wife if the earlier reply is right.
Now what I can't understand is how Bush can be so sure that one of his friend (Palmero) is telling the truth.
Isn't that the same reason we went to war in Iraq because he believed that some of his friends were telling the truth about those weapons of mass distruction?
Now before you folks get all over me and tell me we went to war because of the threat of terrorism and the need to stop it. I will tell you that this country was sold on the idea that that Dunce knew what he was talking about when he referred to Iraq having biological and weapons of mass distructon and that is why we went to war...have any been found? And what has it accomplished? When in our history has terrorism been worse than it is right now?

I dont know if it is fact or not. The only people who do know if it is fact are Rafe, Sandbergs EX wife, and possibly Sandberg himself. Do a Google or Yahoo search on it. There does seem to be alot of info out about it. I have even heard it mentioned on ESPN.

Gobbla2001
08-01-2005, 10:04 PM
I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised

I agree... it's one of those things that is 'sad but true'... wish I could trust them more, but with the ones that have been busted so far, it kinda keeps you guessin'...

LH Panther Mom
08-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
id edit it, but in theory, it would be edited because the source of the quote would no longer be there...

In theory, yes - in reality, no. ;) Consider it done.