PDA

View Full Version : Beaumont Blast wins 18 & U AFA by a score of 8-0

Old Cardinal
07-31-2005, 04:23 PM
With over 130 teams competiting from across the country the winner turns out to be the local Blast team. They handled the- Tomboys- a composite team from DWF that came up a weaker bracket side. The really big game was at 9 am that morning when the Blast edged the Houston Power 5-4 in the semi's. In the third place game the Houston Power topped a good Illinois team 5-2.
Well I guess the 3A DL now has a real celebrity--MiddleAgeCardinal is the Assistant Coach of the Blast National Champions LOL
In looking over the whole bracket display of winners and losers it appears that the strongest overall softball is all the way around the gulf coastal area (all states) followed by the West coast.

Congrates to all the Blast teams(all ages) in extremely high finishes in State and National Tournaments including another National Champion in the 12 & U s.

wos fan1
07-31-2005, 04:38 PM
Good Job! :clap: :clap:

Old Tiger
07-31-2005, 05:15 PM
congrats

Astrosdawg07
07-31-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
With over 130 teams competiting from across the country the winner turns out to be the local Blast team. They handled the- Tomboys- a composite team from DWF that came up a weaker bracket side. The really big game was at 9 am that morning when the Blast edged the Houston Power 5-4 in the semi's. In the third place game the Houston Power topped a good Illinois team 5-2.
Well I guess the 3A DL now has a real celebrity--MiddleAgeCardinal is the Assistant Coach of the Blast National Champions LOL
In looking over the whole bracket display of winners and losers it appears that the strongest overall softball is all the way around the gulf coastal area (all states) followed by the West coast.

Congrates to all the Blast teams(all ages) in extremely high finishes in State and National Tournaments including another National Champion in the 12 & U s.

Does Haley Walker play on that team?

Old Cardinal
07-31-2005, 06:39 PM
An interesting note: The Blast is going to go to California and try to also win the ASA National Championship coming up immediately. There are three big ones--Beaumont, California and also Colorado Fireworks earlier in the summer. We are working hard to get a "Tournament of Champions" in Beaumont whereby at the end of the summer season-- so that every Affiliate across America can send their top four teams to a great winners circle tournament put on for the College Scouts that offer scholarships. Their were many scholarship offers being made at this Ford Park event. We laughed at one fellows question--he asked "Are they looking for Pitchers and Catchers mostly?" We informed him that the Scouts have for the most part picked out the Pitchers and Catchers that they want to secure by the time they are 14 years of age--they just can't approach them with any kind of offers until they are older. They do however offer the good young Pitchers special "by invitation only" invites to clinics/workshops on their respective campuses hoping the "cream-of-the-crop" like what they see at those particular colleges etc and be interested in joining their program when the time arrives for legal recruitment. I think it is just great to see how many young women will get to college on a SB scholarship contract. Some are even "red-shirting" so they can get 5 years of college under the full ride situation. I know one that wants to be a Medical Doctor and the extra year of paid academics will certainly come in handy! I know a lot of these aspiring HS SB players and it is amazing how good they are in academics. They tend to be the leaders in their HS in other endeavors.

XMan
07-31-2005, 07:15 PM
Congrats to the girls and their daddies on the championship. I however have to call BS on a lot of this other info. First off, I have never heard of colleges having scouts for softball. Are you referring to the college coaches themselves or are these just parents who talk it up a lot? Either way, im doubting that they are set on certain kids by the age of 14. Next, you say that the girls sign a scholarship and then take it upon themselves to "redshirt". Absolutely no way! You redshirt if you are injured or if you are not able to make the team/get enough playing time. Coaches do not give players the option of just redshirting for the fun of it. It is great that these girls get an extra year out of it though, either way. This "full ride" stuff is interesting as well. Very few athletes in sports outside of football get "full rides". Parents will tell you full ride, but its rarely true. Next, who sponsors this team? Do the girls pay to play or what? If they pay to play, its daddy ball at its best. Lastly, did LaGrange have a team in this tourney? Just my .02

mwynn05
07-31-2005, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by XMan
Congrats to the girls and their daddies on the championship. I however have to call BS on a lot of this other info. First off, I have never heard of colleges having scouts for softball. Are you referring to the college coaches themselves or are these just parents who talk it up a lot? Either way, im doubting that they are set on certain kids by the age of 14. Next, you say that the girls sign a scholarship and then take it upon themselves to "redshirt". Absolutely no way! You redshirt if you are injured or if you are not able to make the team/get enough playing time. Coaches do not give players the option of just redshirting for the fun of it. It is great that these girls get an extra year out of it though, either way. This "full ride" stuff is interesting as well. Very few athletes in sports outside of football get "full rides". Parents will tell you full ride, but its rarely true. Next, who sponsors this team? Do the girls pay to play or what? If they pay to play, its daddy ball at its best. Lastly, did LaGrange have a team in this tourney? Just my .02 I think it's daddy ball

3afan
07-31-2005, 08:04 PM
yes there are softball scouts ... in fact i work several "college look" tournaments every year in the DFW area ... the coaches (or their reps) sign in and get info packets on whoever provides them

i agree people exaggerate (lie about!) scholarship claims ... one dad told me his daughter had a full softball schloarship to UT-Tyler who is D3 and doesnt give athletic scholarships

Old Cardinal
07-31-2005, 09:07 PM
#1 About a third of the girls are already on scholarships at colleges whether redshirted or full time playing Freshman
#2 When most folks say a full ride they refer to the max allowed by that particular school. See the info on Title IX.
#3 Daddy sports is Little League--This 18 & U is mostly extremely competitive girls that have trained for years for these college opportunities.
#4 You LaGrange posters have succeeded in cutting down every girl in sports that does not play for LaGrange! Why? The LG girls seem to be great youth with very strange fans.
#5 I truly rejoice in seeing such a great youth phenomenon spreading across America but it seems there are always those that cut down the girls that enjoy developing their athletic skills in year round sport endeavors as well as representing their HSs at the best of their trained ability...sad

Etexpirate
08-01-2005, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by XMan
Congrats to the girls and their daddies on the championship. I however have to call BS on a lot of this other info. First off, I have never heard of colleges having scouts for softball. Are you referring to the college coaches themselves or are these just parents who talk it up a lot? Either way, im doubting that they are set on certain kids by the age of 14. Next, you say that the girls sign a scholarship and then take it upon themselves to "redshirt". Absolutely no way! You redshirt if you are injured or if you are not able to make the team/get enough playing time. Coaches do not give players the option of just redshirting for the fun of it. It is great that these girls get an extra year out of it though, either way. This "full ride" stuff is interesting as well. Very few athletes in sports outside of football get "full rides". Parents will tell you full ride, but its rarely true. Next, who sponsors this team? Do the girls pay to play or what? If they pay to play, its daddy ball at its best. Lastly, did LaGrange have a team in this tourney? Just my .02

Then you are probably expecting some change back on that input....:rolleyes:
You are so far off the mark... You must not like girl's sports to be so misinformed..

LP_06
08-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Lastly, did LaGrange have a team in this tourney? Just my .02

So you are saying that if LaGrange had been in this tournament they would have won? :confused:

BTEXDAD
08-01-2005, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by LP_06
Lastly, did LaGrange have a team in this tourney? Just my .02

So you are saying that if LaGrange had been in this tournament they would have won? :confused:

Can agree with you, LP.
I supported and rooted for La Grange against BC and all the way to state title, but some of the comments coming from them during and after their run have gotten a little annoying.
The new softball coach will do fine with team but may have his hands full with the parents.

LP_06
08-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
Can agree with you, LP.
I supported and rooted for La Grange against BC and all the way to state title, but some of the comments coming from them during and after their run have gotten a little annoying.
The new softball coach will do fine with team but may have his hands full with the parents.

I feel bad for the new head coach. From what I read on this board it's all about the parents in LaGrange and not about the kids. Thats the vibe I get from some of the post. JMO.. Im not saying anything bad about any of the LaGrange softball girls.