PDA

View Full Version : game you should have lost, but won

lostaussie
07-29-2005, 08:28 PM
everybodys got one. let's see who will speak up. the game i remember so vividly in my mind was my senior year. we played wylie (now 4a) in the quarterfinals. they beat us up and down the field all night long. we ended up winning 16-14 but it was a fluke. wylie was on the 1 yard line when time ran out. they were the better team we just got all the bounces. went the next week and killed kermit in the semi's and got beat by cameron in the finals. i have always said that if wylie had won that night that they would have beaten cameron in the finals. guess we will never know.

KingRob
07-29-2005, 08:48 PM
I always say, what's meant to be will be, but on the one yard line. Wow, I bet there booster club was not happy!

LH Panther Mom
07-29-2005, 08:48 PM
I'm going to have to ponder on this one for a bit.

HighSchool Fan
07-29-2005, 08:55 PM
when i was in HS we were playing Allen at Gainesville. Allen had one of the best backs in football that year and we wasn't very good at all. out coach decided to cut on the water sprinklers tuesday morning and leave them on until friday afternoon. Allen's rb did nothing but slip and slide and we won by just a few points. Allen's coach protested the game because of the field, but the UIL said that since both teams played in the same conditions there was nothing they could do about it.

KingRob
07-29-2005, 08:59 PM
Okay, I meant "their booster club", dang these white wines!:p

44INAROW
07-29-2005, 09:04 PM
Old Green, help me out here,, what game was it ( I think against Sealy maybe) when we were behind by 2 TD and came back in the last 2 mins to win.. That was the game when there was that questionably extra point when the other team was going for 2, the reciever tipped it and made it a live ball and we ended up scoring - or something.. I have it all mixed up, but I bet you know what game I'm talking about

KingRob
07-29-2005, 10:06 PM
This was in 2000, when Sealy was leading 21-20 and blocked a Cuero extra point attempt in OT. The ball bounced off the chest of a Sealy player and Cuero scored the 2 point conversion. Cuero won 22-21.

exbccards76'smom
07-29-2005, 10:09 PM
In 2000, when we played Cleveland in the regionals at Katy. The refs called back 2 TD's. We lost 25-20

44INAROW
07-29-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by KingRob
This was in 2000, when Sealy was leading 21-20 and blocked a Cuero extra point attempt in OT. The ball bounced off the chest of a Sealy player and Cuero scored the 2 point conversion. Cuero won 22-21.

that's it Kingrob.. :)

Maroon87
07-29-2005, 11:21 PM
1997 regional semis vs. Smithson Valley. We were down 10-0 with 3 minutes left, hadn't done squat all night, then out of nowhere we drive the length of the field twice in the last 3 minutes, scoring the winning TD with 15 seconds left. We win, 14-10! Those SV kids just looked sick...I'm still not entirely sure how we did it.

cat dog horse
07-29-2005, 11:35 PM
cuero vs. wimberly this year

X21AAAPlayer
07-29-2005, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by exbccards76'smom
In 2000, when we played Cleveland in the regionals at Katy. The refs called back 2 TD's. We lost 25-20
UGH that was a pain! Such a good play even the ref was faked out that one time!

pirate4state
07-30-2005, 10:02 AM
hmmmmmm....this is a head scratcher!! :thinking:

fairfield_06
07-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
when i was in HS we were playing Allen at Gainesville. Allen had one of the best backs in football that year and we wasn't very good at all. out coach decided to cut on the water sprinklers tuesday morning and leave them on until friday afternoon. Allen's rb did nothing but slip and slide and we won by just a few points. Allen's coach protested the game because of the field, but the UIL said that since both teams played in the same conditions there was nothing they could do about it.
That is so cheap. A coach should be fired for doing that. A kid could of been hurt bad. Just think how high the water bill was that month also.

gobbler84
07-30-2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by cat dog horse
cuero vs. wimberly this year

I agree Schu!

LHMom
07-30-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'm going to have to ponder on this one for a bit.

I read that title wrong. Thought it was "lost but should have won." For won but should have lost... we should NEVER lose! :)

HighSchool Fan
07-30-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by fairfield_06
That is so cheap. A coach should be fired for doing that. A kid could of been hurt bad. Just think how high the water bill was that month also.

yeah, it probably wasn't the right thing to do, but it did help us get the win :D

44INAROW
07-30-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan

hhmm water sprinklers soaking fields.. I knew that was done on baseball fields - but that's another thread :devil: :D :D

We're Back
07-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Low, you're supposed to keep that a secret :D lol

HighSchool Fan
07-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by We're Back

if this response is for me, it happened around 20years ago. don't think we can get in trouble now. atleast i hope not :)

fairfield_06
07-30-2005, 04:06 PM
Gobbler84 I like your sig.

44INAROW
07-30-2005, 04:13 PM

I have no idea what you're referring to :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :D :D

gobblerfan02
07-30-2005, 04:26 PM
Ha, I almost forgot about that one!

lostaussie
07-30-2005, 11:17 PM
I'm going to have to ponder on this one for a bit. i'm still waiting. surely you have seen your team win a game they should have lost.

PhiI C
07-31-2005, 08:52 AM
With Sinton I would have to go with the playoff game against Crockett several years ago. It was actually a tie but they didn't have overtime then and the team that had more penetrations won and we had the edge in penetrations but were behind by one point. With just over a minute our coach told our team to let them score which they did and held held on the extra point and in the last minute we moved the ball for the td and extra point to tie the game and advance in playoffs. But when their running back was let loose for the td he should have stopped at the one yard line and let the clock run down and then knelled to the ground and they could have run the clock out without taking the chance. But hindsite is more accuate than foresite.

PhiI C
07-31-2005, 09:07 AM
This one is from 2A at the time but was an incredible win with you three points behind and not have possession of the ball with only 3 seconds left in the game and the other team inside your 20. In 1966 the Freer JV played the varisity team of Laredo Martin who was a class B team. It was a defensive game except Laredo did get one drive in the second quarter and couldn't score the td inside our 10 but they had a player who could place kick and he got the field goal to give them the 3 to 0 lead and should have been the 3 to 0 win. In the last quarter with just about a little over a minute to play Freer had the ball fourth down at about their 25 yard line and had to go for it and didn't make the first down. All Laredo had to do was run out the clock but they tried to move it down and were greedy. On third and four they went for the first down but the Freer defense held up and it was fourth and three with about three seconds to go. All Laredo had to do was snap the ball back to the QB and fall down on it and time would have gone out but they elected to try the field goad and win 6 to 0. It was a bad decision. Since they had a fairly good place kicker they figured time would expire on the kick and they would either win 6 to 0 if he made it or 3 to 0 if he didn't. The unthinkable happened when the ball was snapped and he kicked it. Fred Foster broke through the line and blocked the ball and it went in the air and Dana Clark who was coming in caught it. A couple of the Laredo players grabbed him and were about to bring him down but the ever so helpful Foster laid out a block on them knocking one of them off Clark and Clark was able to break away from the other run and took off for the Laredo end zone. It was then a foot race to the goal that Clark won thus giving the Freer JVs the 6 to 3 win. I know it was just 2A JV football but it was incredible circumstances that.

LH Panther Mom
07-31-2005, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
i'm still waiting. surely you have seen your team win a game they should have lost.

Okay, I've got one. Halloween, 2003 - Liberty Hill vs Llano at home. We had come off the great '02 season (9-0 into the last game) and were 8-0 so far in '03, Llano was having a rough year & were 3-5. The score was LH 20, Llano 19. (I hope I get the facts straight, but I've watched a LOT of h.s. football in my life.) Little time to go in the 4th, Llano was on the move. Go ahead score was called back due to a penalty and time expired. I can't, for the life of me, remember what the penalty was, but Llano folks would still tell you it should not have been called. I do remember the huge relief LH folks felt.

On a side note, since it was Halloween, Llano's colors being orange & black, and me being the mischievious person I sometimes am ( :devil: ), I had a "lovely" costume. I had bought one of the most disgusting masks I've ever seen, wore an orange shirt, black skirt and a white sash that said "Llano Homecoming Queen". :D After the game, we stopped at one of our convenience stores for something, and there were a few Llano folks in there. One lady gave me one of the worst "go to hell" looks I've ever had in my life. :eek: :D

lostaussie
07-31-2005, 09:21 AM
thats hilarious , and mischevious.

LHMom
07-31-2005, 10:16 PM
I had a "lovely" costume. I had bought one of the most disgusting masks I've ever seen, wore an orange shirt, black skirt and a white sash that said "Llano Homecoming Queen". :D

What a great game that was. Who says we shouldn't have won it?? We worked our butt off for that win.

And you DO make a lovely homecoming queen! :)

LH Panther Mom
07-31-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by LHMom
What a great game that was. Who says we shouldn't have won it?? We worked our butt off for that win.

And you DO make a lovely homecoming queen! :)

The Llano folks say we shouldn't have won it. :D :evillaugh :evillaugh

Gobbla2001
07-31-2005, 10:47 PM
Though there are games that you 'could' have won, I cannot mention any games that you 'should' have won when you didn't...

YAh, your players just didn't show up that game, if they would have, y'all could have won, but they didn't, so you 'shouldn't' have won that game...

But ahhhh, the memories... The 2000 game was my senior year... Cuero had never ever beat Sealy... We were down 14-zip with 5 minutes left when our QB turned a busted up boot-leg into a 85 yard TD run...

Ended up with a tie at the end of regulation and we were down 21-20 going for the tie in OT... FG was blocked, Sealy player brain-farted and tried to catch the ball... #1, he 'shouldn't' have tried to catch the ball... #2, he didn't catch the ball, #3, our player pounced on the ball, #4, Sealy shouldn't have won that game... and didn't...