PDA

View Full Version : Game You'd Like To Have Back!!!

ILS1
07-29-2005, 06:51 PM
My Senior year when we were 1A. We were not very good that year,we were like 1-5 before the game. We played State ranked (#7) and undefeated Holland for Homecoming. They ran the Wishbone to near perfection at the time. They were average something like 33 points a game and close to 350 yds rushing a game. It was scoreless threw 3 Qtrs. Then in the middle of the 4th quarter,we forced them to punt again it was 4th and 7. They had the ball on our own 45 yard line. We had a Punt Block Right called. I was on the left side,my job was to make sure I had containment for any trick plays or fake punts. I see the ball being snapped,I take one step forward and begin to start to turn around. Out of the corner of my eye,I see the ball go over the punters head. I reacted,the punter eventually picks up the ball (don't know what happened to our punt block people) and starts to run to my side. He's being chased and I run towards him. He pulls up short and tries to quick kick the ball. I dive to block it,I barely missed the ball but get part of his leg. I didn't get much of his leg but he put on an Academy Award performance. Flag flies for roughing the kicker. No way it should been called,plus a 15 yard roughing penalty. Even it was running into the kicker,which is only 5 yards it still would've been 4th down. I'm not sure if they even had running into the kicker penalty back then,I think it was an automatic 15 yards and 1st down. To make a long story short,they get another 1st down and kick a game winning 33 yard field goal to win 3-0. The Holland coach comes to me after the game and congratulates on a great game and said that he thought it was a close call and it could've gone either way. That's the first time an opposing coach came to me after a game. I'll never forget that. He was a classy coach in my book.

:( :(

gobbler84
07-29-2005, 07:02 PM
Last years state title game against Abilene Wylie. We just didn't come out ready to play. Missed opportunity, mistakes, fumbles. You name it we did it. I'm sure the whole C/O 2005 would like to have that game back!

mwynn05
07-29-2005, 07:03 PM
'02 3rd round of the playoffs fairfield v bellville fairfield. Fairfield has the ball 1st down inside the 5 and we run a playaction pass that gets picked off all of us in the stands weree like oh no when it ws picked.. anyways we stopped em 3 and out but ran out of time and lost 10-7. I really believe runnig the ball would have been a sure TD with the 3 great back we had
that i actually was a part of was in basketball this year the 2nd time we played mexia we were at home and lost by 2.. Our leading scorer had the flu and didnt play he hit 31 on them the first time... we have them beat up around 12 in the 4th and we fall apart and they force ot we we lost by 2...that game was to tite them for 1st in district and fore a playoff. we finished 2nd and ran into #1 manor

44INAROW
07-29-2005, 07:05 PM
As a spectator, the State Game against SLC in 1993 - was a real heartbreaker. So were the State games against Aledo and Wylie :( Oh and the State Game against Ennis my Senior year (1976) OUCH.. State games, my soph, jr and senior years, my 2 older son's senior years.. now hoping for a chance when my youngest is a Jr and Sr.. maybe this will be the season it happens :)

rockdale80
07-29-2005, 07:27 PM
Every game we lost from the start of our football careers in the 7th grade until we graduated. Which was only 8...but I would love to have every one of them back...

Especially losing to Newton in the playoffs the year they won state.

KingRob
07-29-2005, 07:45 PM
I had recently returned from serving in the USAF overseas. I wanted to see Cuero play, but my wife wasn't interested. So, I drove down to Kingsville to see Cuero play Port Isabel by myself. Cuero was coming off a State game the previous year, and I was sure this was a winner. Well, you could see the momentum shift to PI, even their fans were stomping the bleachers to heck (nice word). Cuero seemed to panick, It was a tie (20-20), and PI won on penetrations (before OT). I was so distraught, I didn't listen to music the whole drive back to Victoria.

LH Panther Mom
07-29-2005, 07:46 PM
My oldest son's senior year - 2002 playoff game against Yoakum. It would be best if I spared you most of the details. There were several "questionable" things throughout the game, including 4 delay of game penalties & illegal motion against us on all 4 of a series of downs, very late in the 4th qtr. We were around the 20 when the series started and had momentum going our way. Final score was 27-21. To this day, I can't watch the tape without getting completely ticked off and crying. :crying: :crying:

Of course, to make that year even worse/better, Bandera went on to win D2 championship, after we defeated them in district. :weeping: :weeping:

We're Back
07-29-2005, 07:48 PM
this past year state championship against Abilene Wylie

KingRob
07-29-2005, 07:48 PM
Wow, that's a downer. Are you okay?

WOS92
07-29-2005, 07:49 PM

We beat em that year ;)

I'd say the state game against Ennis in 2000. We were blown out in the first half, came back and adjusted to dominate the second. They deserved to win it, but I'd like to see how we would have done with the defensive philosophy of the second half applied to the first.

LH Panther Mom
07-29-2005, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by KingRob
Wow, that's a downer. Are you okay?

Me? Yeah, I am. It's just one of those games that even 3 seasons later, you can see the "calls" in your sleep.

44INAROW
07-29-2005, 07:51 PM
I had recently returned from serving in the USAF overseas. I wanted to see Cuero play, but my wife wasn't interested. So, I drove down to Kingsville to see Cuero play Port Isabel by myself. Cuero was coming off a State game the previous year, and I was sure this was a winner. Well, you could see the momentum shift to PI, even their fans were stomping the bleachers to heck (nice word). Cuero seemed to panick, It was a tie (20-20), and PI won on penetrations (before OT). I was so distraught, I didn't listen to music the whole drive back to Victoria.

King - I think you picked the right game! We rode home in silence as well that night.. :(

We're Back
07-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Hey Deb :D

LH Panther Mom
07-29-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by We're Back
Hey Deb :D

That'd be Ms. Ravishing, to you. :kiss: ;)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-29-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by WOS92
We beat em that year ;)

I'd say the state game against Ennis in 2000. We were blown out in the first half, came back and adjusted to dominate the second. They deserved to win it, but I'd like to see how we would have done with the defensive philosophy of the second half applied to the first.

I'm almost positive that Newton was undefeated that year and Rockdale put up the most points that they gave up the entire season.

Ranger Mom
07-29-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
My oldest son's senior year - 2002 playoff game against Yoakum. It would be best if I spared you most of the details. There were several "questionable" things throughout the game, including 4 delay of game penalties & illegal motion against us on all 4 of a series of downs, very late in the 4th qtr. We were around the 20 when the series started and had momentum going our way. Final score was 27-21. To this day, I can't watch the tape without getting completely ticked off and crying. :crying: :crying:

Of course, to make that year even worse/better, Bandera went on to win D2 championship, after we defeated them in district. :weeping: :weeping:

Yeah...that game against Bandera is one I would like to have back. Beaten in the State Championship by a field goal in 2 OT's. This time around I would have it where Brian Zachary did NOT break his foot in the pre-game warmups!!

KingRob
07-29-2005, 08:13 PM
We're Back....I understand about the Wylie game. I wasn't there, but the things I heard (didn't capitalize on the muffled punt, player couldn't find his helmut). I drive a lot for my profession, and on these long drives, and I think, THEY SHOULD'VE WON!!!

Still LOVE those Gobblers!

44INAROW
07-29-2005, 08:15 PM
My oldest son's senior year - 2002 playoff game against Yoakum. It would be best if I spared you most of the details. There were several "questionable" things throughout the game, including 4 delay of game penalties & illegal

Deb - let me guess, Jesse Crow was putting on a show too :evillaugh :evillaugh

wos fan1
07-29-2005, 08:18 PM
No Doubt Huffman last year. We dropped 2 balls in the backfield that were going for touchdowns and still only lost by a couple. Our Defense was weak last year but will be much improved this year!

WOS92
07-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Which year are you talking about, BBDE?

WOS92
07-29-2005, 08:22 PM
If it was 1998, we were their only loss that year.

Old Green
07-29-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
King - I think you picked the right game! We rode home in silence as well that night.. :( I went to a Gentleman's Club and drowned my sorrow's.:devil:

KingRob
07-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Well, hopefully it wasn't a tie in there, and somebody scored!:D

Old Green
07-29-2005, 08:38 PM
Well, hopefully it wasn't a tie in there, and somebody scored!:D Lost there too!:D

lostaussie
07-29-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
I went to a Gentleman's Club and drowned my sorrow's.:devil: a great way to drown your sorrows!!!!!!!!

KingRob
07-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Damn!!

Old Green
07-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I'm almost positive that Newton was undefeated that year and Rockdale put up the most points that they gave up the entire season. Newton lost to WOS 10-0. Their only loss in 98

KingRob
07-29-2005, 08:45 PM
I would like to apologize for spelling HELMUT, instead of HELMET. I think I've been in Germany way too long!:D :D :D

Old Green
07-29-2005, 08:46 PM
I would like to apologize for spelling HELMUT, instead of HELMET. I think I've been in Germany way too long!:D :D :D :clap: :D

wos fan1
07-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Newton lost to WOS 10-0. Their only loss in 98 Newton has a great team every year, They have all their starters back this year and we have them in week 4. They should win it all in 2A!

mustang04
07-29-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Yeah...that game against Bandera is one I would like to have back. Beaten in the State Championship by a field goal in 2 OT's. This time around I would have it where Brian Zachary did NOT break his foot in the pre-game warmups!!

i wish we woulda beat yall that year, cuz that woulda been us in the state game:(

44INAROW
07-29-2005, 08:58 PM

Old Green
07-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by wos fan1
Newton has a great team every year, They have all their starters back this year and we have them in week 4. They should win it all in 2A! For a small school in 3A ,Newton always had exceptional athletes. They should win it this year .

wos fan1
07-29-2005, 09:22 PM
For a small school in 3A ,Newton always had exceptional athletes. They should win it this year . Man your not kidding. That whole team is back! :eek:

lostaussie
07-29-2005, 09:24 PM
For a small school in 3A ,Newton always had exceptional athletes. They should win it this year . newton to me is kinda like tatum. i just don't know where they keep gettin them from. if tatum ever drops, and they certainly could, look out. these two will probably match up at some point every year.

WOS92
07-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Our pre-district schedule is a monster, isn't it wos1? We play state contenders from three classifications: Bay City (4A), Jasper (3A) and Newton (2A). You never know about Nederland, either.

wos fan1
07-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Our pre-district schedule is a monster, isn't it wos1? We play state contenders from three classifications: Bay City (4A), Jasper (3A) and Newton (2A). You never know about Nederland, either. Wooo You ain't kidding! :eek: :eek:

wos fan1
07-29-2005, 09:50 PM
I just hope and pray we come out of that Brutal Non District schedule with no injuries! :eek:

Hupernikomen
07-29-2005, 10:45 PM
Our pre-district schedule is a monster, isn't it wos1? We play state contenders from three classifications: Bay City (4A), Jasper (3A) and Newton (2A). You never know about Nederland, either.

Never know about Nederland?? Those dudes have been brutes for the years now.

Hupernikomen
07-29-2005, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by wos fan1
No Doubt Huffman last year. We dropped 2 balls in the backfield that were going for touchdowns and still only lost by a couple. Our Defense was weak last year but will be much improved this year!

How do you know that the 2 dropped balls in the backfield would have went for touchdowns? I didn't see that game and would like to know a few more details. This game was a bit of a shocker to me. I know Huffman was big and strong but doubted their ability to stop the big play potential that WO-S posed.

gobbler84
07-29-2005, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Every game we lost from the start of our football careers in the 7th grade until we graduated. Which was only 8...but I would love to have every one of them back...

This is my fourth year of football and We're Back's fifth year of football and we've both only lost one football game....Last years state game!

Maroon87
07-29-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm sure most everyone will talk about a playoff game, but mine's a little different. In 8th grade, we were playing Tuloso-Midway, our neighborhood rival. At the time, they had a pretty good team, and ours was not very good. We led 6-0 at half but then they scored twice in the 3rd to go up 13-6. In the 4th, we scored a TD, then went for 2 and missed, so we were down 13-12. We got the ball back in our own territory with around 2 minutes left. We got as far as their 25 with 5 seconds left, and since there wasn't anyone on our team who could kick a 42-yard field goal (it was, after all, jr. high) we went for the Hail Mary. Our QB threw it, and our WR caught it between 2 defenders in the end zone. Only problem was, he was standing out of bounds! Then, as we were getting on the bus after the game, one of our D-linemen was trying to climb in the back door, hit his head on the door frame and was knocked out cold. A fitting end to the evening, I thought...

WOS92
07-30-2005, 12:21 AM
I said that three of the teams were title contenders and ya never know about Nederland. They have been strong, but have yet to really rise to the top. They haven't won an outright district title since the 60s, so "brutes" might be a bit strong ;)

rockdale80
07-30-2005, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I'm almost positive that Newton was undefeated that year and Rockdale put up the most points that they gave up the entire season.

Yeah...that was the year they lost to WOS....and they were 4A. And yes we did put up more on them than any other school that entire season. Doesn't mean anything though. Still got knocked out of the playoffs. :(

KTJ
07-30-2005, 01:49 AM
Gainesville vs. Atlanta

1995 State Quarterfinals game played at Hanby Stadium in Mesquite.

I was 14 but I had two cousins that played on that squad. I remember it being so freaking, freaking, freaking cold and me being under 3 blankets, 3 pairs of shirts, 2 pairs of socks and still FREEZING.

Atlanta took Gainesville to the woodshed. It was a sad day for the Leopards.

HighSchool Fan
07-30-2005, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Gainesville vs. Atlanta

I was 14 but I had two cousins that played on that squad. I remember it being so freaking, freaking, freaking cold and me being under 3 blankets, 3 pairs of shirts, 2 pairs of socks and still FREEZING.

Atlanta took Gainesville to the woodshed. It was a sad day for the Leopards.

KTJ, ask anyone from gainesville if they went to the gainesville-lubbock escatado game in 83. that's the coldest i've ever been. it was a playoff game and gainesville had to go to lubbock in december, raining, sleeting and snowing at the same time. lubbock kicked out butt 28-0.

exbccards76'smom
07-30-2005, 07:32 AM
how about a whole season? In 1999 BC went 0-10!!

pirate4state
07-30-2005, 09:47 AM
State game 2001: Sinton vs. Everman

and in baseball:

2003 State game vs. Lorena :(

District303aPastPlayer
07-30-2005, 10:23 AM
2000 Reg Finals
San Antonio's Alamo Stadium
Sinton vs. Bandera

That Bandera team had about... oh 6-8 all staters starting...

2000 Bi-District
Victoria Memorial Stadium
Sinton vs. Cuero

Go out of bounds Adrian:( This was the game he got hurt.

mwynn05
07-30-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Gainesville vs. Atlanta

Atlanta took Gainesville to the woodshed. It was a sad day for the Leopards. I remember that day iw as at a game at mesquitre memorial i believe to watch my cousinwasnt it like close to 0 thta day...anyways my cousins team won

PhiI C
07-30-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
State game 2001: Sinton vs. Everman

and in baseball:

2003 State game vs. Lorena :(

I know what you mean pirate. I don't know about the whole game but I would have liked to have had Marcus hang on to that punt which he fumbled because that gave the momentum to Everman that they used to win and we would have been in great field position had he hung on. If not that play then the fourth down pass that the officials gave them their last td with about 3 minutes left (the films proved that the ball was clearly trapped). I admit it would have been a slim chance for us to move 90 yards for a td with three minutes to play especially with Everman having the momentum but I would have liked to have had that final shot.

In regard to Lorena I would prefer to have had the game played the day before with Canyon. That was the sorriest umpire I ever saw and was a poor excuse to be in a state semi game. He was calling balls on Adrian that were stikes and he went the other way against Canyon. Even the good friends from Lorena saw it and were hoping he wouldn't umpire any of their games. Had we had a fair (or competent) umpire Adrian wouldn't have had to pitch as much and I don't think the game would have gone into extra innings and Adrian could have relieved Jason who was tired in the extra innings against Lorena and it might have had a different outcome. But I guess the luck of the draw wasn't with us that time as it was the year before when we won state.

wos fan1
07-30-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
How do you know that the 2 dropped balls in the backfield would have went for touchdowns? I didn't see that game and would like to know a few more details. This game was a bit of a shocker to me. I know Huffman was big and strong but doubted their ability to stop the big play potential that WO-S posed. Because Beasley had nothing but open field when he dropped it. Same thing with Ford, the Huffman defense would have not caught either one of them.

caldwellguard62
07-30-2005, 12:38 PM
This past years 2 round playoff game against Waco Connally we just didnt come ready to play fumbles penalties dumb mistakes we were just not ready to play and i know if we play them again it wont even be a contest. Navasota beat them 49-12 and we beat Navasota so that pretty much explains it.

mwynn05
07-30-2005, 12:40 PM
Who beats who means nothing..it's match ups....and teams get better over a 10 game period

LHMom
07-30-2005, 03:31 PM

Yeah, LHPM. That's a tough one. It's a toss-up between that and the Jasper game this past year. Holding them scoreless in the 2nd half... Then a face-mask on our QB at the goal line to keep him out of the end zone.

fairfield_06
07-30-2005, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by caldwellguard62
This past years 2 round playoff game against Waco Connally we just didnt come ready to play fumbles penalties dumb mistakes we were just not ready to play and i know if we play them again it wont even be a contest. Navasota beat them 49-12 and we beat Navasota so that pretty much explains it. You have got to be kidding me if you think that means anything.

WOS92
07-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Yeah, it means nothing...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Newton lost to WOS 10-0. Their only loss in 98
Well, I was only half right, then.

rhs78
07-30-2005, 07:52 PM
The last week of district play with all the tradegy and the team not ready to play Bellville(their focus was elsewhere) lost our QB and Both running backs with injuries heading into playoffs, Hindsite the team should of not even played the last disrict game. just my opionion.

turbostud
07-30-2005, 11:22 PM
I am sure Celina would like to have back their game against Dangerfield. Lost it all on an extra point.