PDA

View Full Version : there's no crying in football

AggieJohn
07-28-2005, 01:05 AM
DAVIE, Fla. (AP) - Miami Dolphins rookie Manuel Wright, who broke down in tears after he was chewed out by coach Nick Saban on Tuesday, missed Wednesday morning's practice to have his ailing back examined.

"The guy went to the doctor today. They wanted to check his back out," Saban said. "That's part of the issue. We have a protocol and procedure for how we do things around here and sometimes young players don't understand that."

Wright, taken in the fifth round of the NFL's supplemental draft earlier this month, left the practice field in tears Tuesday after being chastised by Saban, who took off his hat and pointed to his head while yelling at the former Southern California defensive tackle. Wright later returned and participated in practice on a limited basis.

"As I tell the players, we're going to try to help you in every way that we can be successful as you can be," Saban said. "But when you don't do things the way you're supposed to do them, we're going to confront and demand that you do it right. And that's what I did with him."

Wright was unavailable for comment either day, but Saban said the issue was over as far as he was concerned.

"He did what he was supposed to do, I did what I was supposed to do and nobody's mad at anybody, nobody's upset with anybody," Saban said. "It's all part of learning how to go about being a mature, competitive football player at this level. It's as simple as that."

Wright, a backup for USC last season and earned honorable mention all-conference recognition.

Saban said the 6-foot-6, 290-pounder is "probably not in as good of shape as he needs to be in."

LH Panther Mom
07-28-2005, 06:07 AM
Thanks for posting this. I caught the tail-end of the story on the news & only saw him walking off crying and heard them repeat part of Saban's comment. Poooooor thing! :weeping: