PDA

View Full Version : Whats a ??

c-town_balla
08-21-2002, 09:31 PM
What is a Tarpon?? Isn't it a fish of some kind...go ahead and ask what a yoeman is too.

Big Tarp 74
08-23-2002, 11:09 AM
Your right, it is a fish. Port Isabel had many Tarpons running the bays and open channel ways. When Port Isabel started a football program, they had to look around to see what mascot could be used. At that time, we had other schools with mascots such as Lions, Bobcats, Bulldogs, and other. So Port Isabel look hard to see what sea life could be used. The big think back then was catching a Tarpon. Most people lost more of them rather than landing them. The Tarpon always puts up a huge fight, as well as something spectaculer to watch. So they decided to uses Tarpons as their mascot. In the water a Tarpon displays a blue and silver color. So they used the colors Blue and Silver. There are two High Schools in the US using Tarpons as their mascot. Port Isabel is just one of them. The web address to Port Isabel Tarpons website is http://www.bluefever.org. The Other school using a Tarpon as a mascot is in Louisiana. Here is their website address: http://www.eteamz.com/SouthLafourcheTarpons/ Hope this info helps!

Originally posted by c-town_balla:
What is a Tarpon?? Isn't it a fish of some kind...go ahead and ask what a yoeman is too.

footballgal
08-23-2002, 02:28 PM

Ok, thanks for the good info. Big Tar 74 I, now our turn what is a Yoeman?

footballgal
08-23-2002, 02:40 PM

footballgal
08-23-2002, 02:42 PM
not sure what happened here but had the same message posted twice...

c-town_balla
08-23-2002, 03:57 PM
A yoeman is a midevil Person who was more or less a robin hood. It was spelled Yeoman but since the land for our school was given by C.H. Yoe we changed it to Yoemen....thats why n papers and such we are called the cameron yoe yoemen because of the land

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-23-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by footballgal:

You're a Tarpons fan, and YOU didn't even know what a Tarpon was? Sheesh!!!

yoe_81
08-24-2002, 04:23 PM
Actually a Yeomen is a Midevil Archer..they used to stand outside of tha Castle and protect the King from any harm..some historians say that a Yeomen could coquor unbeatable odds just to save his King..think about that and look at tha Yoeman from Cameron..Were always Underdogs, and yet we come out ontop...i think We should go back to tha Dayz of tha Yoe Dawgs!! cause then on the field u heard nothing but barking..it really messes with peoples heads wen u bark at 'em...Go Yoe !!

------------------

footballgal
08-24-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas:
You're a Tarpons fan, and YOU didn't even know what a Tarpon was? Sheesh!!!

Of course I know what I Tarpon is! (I have many pictures of some from the web, large beautiful ones)

What I was thanking Big Tarp 74 was the details of HOW it came about that Port Isabel choose it's mascot. I have heard that Port Isabel were once the Pirates, is there any fact in that?

Big Tarp 74
08-24-2002, 08:57 PM
footballgal, I do remember something about that, but I do not recall who told me about it. As history goes, Jean Lafeet did land in the area. He used the area as a hide away at times. Do not know if the Tarpons were ever call the Pirates, but have had it mention to me. Do not know anyone at this time who would no the answer to this. I asked my buddy who has lived here for 50 years, and he has not heard of this.

What I was thanking Big Tarp 74 was the details of HOW it came about that Port Isabel choose it's mascot. I have heard that Port Isabel were once the Pirates, is there any fact in that? [/B][/QUOTE]

[This message has been edited by Big Tarp 74 (edited August 26, 2002).]

HungryHornet
08-24-2002, 09:19 PM
I always thought it was ridiculous how papers referred to "The Yoe". It's like calling Austin Reagan "The Reagan"

c-town_balla
08-24-2002, 11:08 PM
well thats just like the paers saying the hornet....because we are the yoe ....cameron yoe ....duh

HungryHornet
08-25-2002, 02:15 AM
You missed the point entirely. Your school was named after C.H. Yoe, a man's NAME, but the "team" mascot is Yeomen, so wouldn't that make it "the Yeo". Austin Reagan is named after John Reagan, but they don't call themselves "The Reagan." Just like we don't call ourselves "The Horn".
Personally, I think it's some form of self flattery like "everybody in the world knows us - the Cameron Yoe". And what's with the media referring to you as Cameron Yoe when there's only ONE school in the town? It would be different if there were more than one high school like Waco Robinson vs. Waco Connally, etc. DUH!

football02
08-25-2002, 03:50 PM
Actually, Cameron was originally named the YOEMEN because of C.H. Yoe and they just chose the mascot because yeomen and yoemen kind of go together. And i agree with c-town balla- when newspapers are talkin about teams they say "the". For example- "The Yoe"
or "the hornets." It would be really stupid to call us "The Yeo" when that is not what we are. It is just our mascot and we don't even have a mascot at any of the games. It would be like the paper callin yall "The Wasp" or "The Bees" I Mean come on it is common sense. You need to stop hatin just because your from a big town. We are reffered to as the Cameron Yoe because Cameron is our town and Yoe is our school.

Bull Butter
08-25-2002, 05:48 PM
Hey Hornet, I can tell you don't know a lot about High School sports. Otherwise you'd have heard of Victoria Memorial, Kerrville Tivy, Vanderbilt Industrial, Port Lavaca Calhoun,Wallis Brazos, Geronimo Navarro, El Maton Tidehaven, Universal City Randolph, Schertz Clemens, Converse Judson, Southlake Carroll, Euless Trinity, Buda Hays, Wolfforth Frenship..............all towns with one High School who use the name of the actual name of the school along with the name of the town.--just like Cameron Yoe.

Beeville likes to be referred to as A.C. Jones HS as Kingsville prefers the name H.M. King.

I guess I could throw Galveston Ball in that list too, although they have a private school. So I guess that makes them a 2 school town.

ProudMama
08-25-2002, 10:55 PM
Big Tarp 74, Jean Lafitte was a pirate who had a hide-out in South Louisiana!!!!!!

HungryHornet
08-26-2002, 07:40 AM
Frankly, I think Cameron people get a rush out of hearing The Yoe or Cameron Yoe because it makes them feel important or something. And yes, as a former sports editor in Bay City, I am very aware of all the cities with one high school named after someone and it takes away from a town's individuality - like Victoria, Beeville, and Vanderbilt, for example.
So Cameron Yoe still sounds stupid. Now on to better topics - why did you guys get stomped in scrimmage by 2A Rogers? :-)

Matthew328
08-26-2002, 09:48 AM
I always thought the high school was named Cameron Yoe...LOL and it isn't Waco Robinson it is just Robinson....Robinson is a suburb of Waco and is it's own school district..as is Connally which really is in Lacy Lakeview and LaVega which is in Bellmead..kinda weird if you ask me...why isn't LaVega just called Bellmead High? LOL I agree with you HungryHornet..I wish one school towns would just have the town name and nothing else...

[This message has been edited by Matthew328 (edited August 26, 2002).]

Jacket2000
08-26-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328:
I always thought the high school was named Cameron Yoe...LOL and it isn't Waco Robinson it is just Robinson....Robinson is a suburb of Waco and is it's own school district..as is Connally which really is in Lacy Lakeview and LaVega which is in Bellmead..kinda weird if you ask me...why isn't LaVega just called Bellmead High? LOL I agree with you HungryHornet..I wish one school towns would just have the town name and nothing else...

[This message has been edited by Matthew328 (edited August 26, 2002).]

I thought it was Ft Worth Everman untill they dropped to 3a. LOL
J2K

Big Tarp 74
08-26-2002, 11:01 AM
I know that, but he also had a place near Port Isabel, called Laguna Vista, today. His well is still their.

Originally posted by ProudMama:
Big Tarp 74, Jean Lafitte was a pirate who had a hide-out in South Louisiana!!!!!!

football02
08-26-2002, 11:58 AM
I don't know about you but i don't call a 2-1 win gettin stomped

Matthew328
08-26-2002, 12:19 PM
LOL Actually that does steam a lot of people in Everman...and Sunday afternoon on ESPN 103.3 I heard someone on there announce the AP Poll and they said in 3A Ft Worth Everman is number one..arghhh

Big Tarp 74
08-26-2002, 12:22 PM
Footballgal, what 2-1 score? I am lost.

Originally posted by football02:
I don't know about you but i don't call a 2-1 win gettin stomped

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-26-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Big Tarp 74:
Footballgal, what 2-1 score? I am lost.

Adam, that wasn't FootballGAL

Big Tarp 74
08-26-2002, 12:52 PM
sorry, I am a bit tired. Been up to many hours working on system upgrades. How are you doing. Did not see ya at the Bazarr! What happened?

c-town_balla
08-26-2002, 03:44 PM
OK first of how is 2-1 a stomping??? and matthew it is called C.H. Yoe High School. So it is Yoe high school

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-26-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Big Tarp 74:
sorry, I am a bit tired. Been up to many hours working on system upgrades. How are you doing. Did not see ya at the Bazarr! What happened?

I wasn't able to make it down there, unfortunately........but i'm going to be down there for sure TWICE this fall. September 20th for Port Isabel @ Los Fresnos, and will also be down there October 11 for my best friend's wedding. Danny Hernandez's little brother is getting married.

football02
08-26-2002, 06:18 PM
Big Tarp-The 2-1 win I am talkin about is the Rogers Scrimmage.

And Matthew-its like C-town balla said- our school is named C.H.Yoe high so we are Cameron Yoe-so yall need to get over it. Its not like its important anyway-we need to be worryin about 0 week.

Big Tarp 74
08-28-2002, 01:33 PM
football02, Ok. I remember Cameron. They had a powerhouse in 1981. They beat us to advance to the state championship game. I think you running backs name was Oscar Riggins. Yes or No?

Originally posted by football02:
Big Tarp-The 2-1 win I am talkin about is the Rogers Scrimmage.

And Matthew-its like C-town balla said- our school is named C.H.Yoe high so we are Cameron Yoe-so yall need to get over it. Its not like its important anyway-we need to be worryin about 0 week.

footballgal
09-06-2002, 12:20 PM

Thought I show you with a Picture
This is a nice one, shows why they are called the silver Tarpons!
http://www.texastarponguides.com/tarpon13.jpg

well how about this one:
http://www.davevedderphoto.com/images/tarpon.jpg

[This message has been edited by footballgal (edited September 06, 2002).]