PDA

View Full Version : U. of Texas next QB may be a USC transfer!!

nutcrackin
07-26-2005, 03:11 PM
True Orange Instant-Update Service
Volume 13, Instant Update #105, Wednesday, July 20, 2005
Jerry Scarbrough's True Orange, 9420 Jenaro Court, Austin, Texas

Rocky Hinds Is In Austin For Official Visit With Longhorns Rocky Hinds, 6-4, 220, 4.42, the freshman QB at Southern Cal who has been granted permission to transfer, arrived in Austin Wednesday to start a two-day visit touring the Longhorns' facilities, meeting with the coaches and players and getting a red-carpet welcome. Hinds will have to sit out a year and then will have three years of eligibility remaining. Texas and UNLV are two of the main schools he is considering, and he said he hopes to make a decision before the end of July. That means he will have to make up his mind in a hurry.

USC head coach Pete Carroll said he was very disappointed that Hinds wanted to transfer. "He had a good chance to compete for the quarterback job here in the future," Carroll said, "but he didn't see it that way. He said he wants to go somewhere where he thinks he will have a better opportunity to play." Sources close to the situation at USC said Hinds had planned to stay, but when offensive coordinator Norm Chow resigned to join the staff of an NFL team, his replacement favored a traditional pure drop-back passing attack.

Hinds is a very mobile QB who is a great running threat and a good passer, much in the mold of current UT starter Vince Young. I'm not saying he is as good as Young, but that he is a similar type. The Texas coaches still hope to get a commitment from the nation's top prep QB, Mitch Mustain of Springdale, Arkansas, but Mustain has delayed making a decision and the Longhorn coaches have decided to put a real effort into getting Hinds. Obviously, they would still take Mustain if he decided to commit later, even if Hinds commits on his visit. When you have as few scholarship QBs as Texas does, three in one class would be a welcome sight. Texas already has a pledge from one of Texas' best QBs, Sherrod Harris of Arlington Bowie.

Texas has 22 commitments already and the Longhorns don't plan to sign more than 25 kids for their next class unless both Hinds and Mustain come aboard. If that happens, the total might reach 26. Schools can enroll only 25 new scholarship players in one class, but one or two of the Texas commitments could graduate from high school in December and enroll at Texas in January, thus creating an extra opening or two.

Phil C
07-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Sometimes you can't wait and have to get what you can. You can't always count on verbal promises because some of them are not good at their word such as RP.

sicem74
07-26-2005, 03:35 PM
lol ryan is awesome im glad he didnt go to ut!!!!!!!

injuredinmelee
07-26-2005, 03:38 PM
I see ryan as a T.O. in training. You watch how much mouth flappage will come out of Baton Rouge for the next three years.

Gobbler Fan
07-26-2005, 05:27 PM
I dont think Hinds will commit to Texas I believe UNLV is in the lead for his services .I cant figure out why it's so hard for UT to get a blue-chip QB to commit . All the bluechip QB's in the state and they only have one QB commited who is a project (Sherrod Harris) if VY goes pro after this year they will have Colt MCcoy(soph) and Harris(fresh) at the only 2 scholarship QB'S on the roster . I hope they can pick up Mustain out of arkansas but that doesnt look very likely either .

lostaussie
07-26-2005, 05:33 PM
I heard yesterday on the radio that this guy could be bringing some "baggage" with him.

KL3
07-26-2005, 06:22 PM
You know, Texas fans make such a big deal out of Perriloux about him not "sticking to his word."

Well, you know what? Texas signed 2 kids who did the exact same thing Perriloux did. Ishie Odiewegu, a safety from Denton Ryan, and Chris Hall, an OL from Irving, decommitted from Arizona and Oklahoma St. in the later stages of recruiting as well.

It's funny how you never hear about those kids.

LH Panther Mom
07-26-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by KL3
You know, Texas fans make such a big deal out of Perriloux about him not "sticking to his word."

Well, you know what? Texas signed 2 kids who did the exact same thing Perriloux did. Ishie Odiewegu, a safety from Denton Ryan, and Chris Hall, an OL from Irving, decommitted from Arizona and Oklahoma St. in the later stages of recruiting as well.

I haven't heard of either of these 2 kids, but I'm not a Horn fan. I think maybe the reason for the big deal made over Perriloux is the "big deal" Perriloux made to begin with.

Txbroadcaster
07-26-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
I dont think Hinds will commit to Texas I believe UNLV is in the lead for his services .I cant figure out why it's so hard for UT to get a blue-chip QB to commit . All the bluechip QB's in the state and they only have one QB commited who is a project (Sherrod Harris) if VY goes pro after this year they will have Colt MCcoy(soph) and Harris(fresh) at the only 2 scholarship QB'S on the roster . I hope they can pick up Mustain out of arkansas but that doesnt look very likely either .

well in today's college football world where Freshman and Soph Qb's step in and play right away, why would a Blue Chip QB go to Texas where he is NOT going to play come hell or high water.

You will see TX pick up more commitments from QB's after this year because a kid can say I will sit one year behind Young then I will be the man.

AggieJohn
07-27-2005, 12:39 AM
there goes mack3 saving the day, crap just when we have a good season in the lock coming up he goes out and do this, crap mack crap

KTJ
07-27-2005, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by KL3

Your point being?

Oh, and the Mitch Mustain saga isn't over with. But if Rocky Hinds comes to Texas, I would think Mitch would be going somewhere weird...like Michigan. Rumor has it that if he does come to Texas, the fans and citizens of his town and high school will boo him every time he comes out onto the field.

cdlvj
07-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
I cant figure out why it's so hard for UT to get a blue-chip QB to commit .

I would think that a lot of em look at the Applewhite/Sims and go a running the other way.

AggieJohn
07-27-2005, 09:18 AM
yeah i dont' think that went down the best way, that ticked me off the most about mack, i liked private applesauce

but i doubt that has little to do with their qb recruiting, i think they see that there are two more season of VY and they don't want to be a back up their junior year

bullfrog_alumni_02
07-27-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by cdlvj
I would think that a lot of em look at the Applewhite/Sims and go a running the other way. hahaha i still hate sims, that jerk. i know there were more involved than just his father being a former great at the school, but i still dont like him. major applewhite was a great qb he shuold have never lost his starting position.

BTEXDAD
07-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I see ryan as a T.O. in training. You watch how much mouth flappage will come out of Baton Rouge for the next three years.

I agree with you, injured. Apparently pretty high on himself. He had his mind made up b4 he announced it. He should have had the courtesy to Mack Brown and UT to advise them, so they could look elsewhere. It was actually similar to what Beltran and Scott Boras did to the Astros. You wind up concentrating on one player and lose out on others.

The recruiting game has gotten to be just that, a game, to some of these kids. They should be thankful for the talent they have and strive to do well at the next level, rather than think everyone is going to kiss the ground they walk on for the rest of their lives.

I remember the one recruit on signing day, (can't remember name though) who had three caps in front of him and pretended to pick up each one b4 taking one and putting it on his head to show his selection. Made him look like a complete smart (dumb) ass.

KL3
07-27-2005, 03:46 PM
KTJ, what the hell do you think my point is? Do you really not get it?

My point is how many times do you hear a longhorn complaining about what Perriloux did to them? Do you ever hear them say, "well we signed 3 kids who did the same thing, so I'm really not too mad at Perriloux for what he did."

No, you always hear the longhorn complain about Perriloux, say how bad he handled it, and then complain some more. Never a word is said about the guys that Texas signed WHO DID THE EXACT SAME THING. Is this really hard for you to understand?

I guess maybe the problem is 90% of the people don't even know about the other kids, they just know about Perriloux.

To answer your question KTJ, I guess my main point is that horn fans are very hipocritical on this topic. I hope that works for you.

injuredinmelee
07-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Here is my big problem with what RP did. He was still telling the Ut staff that he was a lock but when you put a microphone in his face he was spoutiong other things. I think he was trying to get a TExas booster to make a better financial package. (You know this happens at EVERY school). Secondly what he did the night before national signing day. He and a reciever from South Carolina or Alabama had taken a couple trips together and Ryan and he had agreed to go to the same school. The two kids talked on the phone that night and agreed that they were going to go to Mississippi State. The next morning the reciever signs his letter of intent with the MSU coaches in attendance and after the kid signs he ask the staff if RP had already signed. The MSU coaches then informed him that RP had signed with the tigers. This kid lacks moral character and I wish him the worst whereever he goes.

Phil C
07-27-2005, 03:52 PM
RP also deceived one of Mississippi's recruits according to a newspaper story into thinking he was going to sign with Mississippi State so he signed with Mississippi State instead of Mississippi. In other words he lied if the story is true. I can understand RP deciding to stay closer to home but lying to other players is not right. I am hoping Mississippi remembers that when they face him which knowing Mississippi they probable will.

Phil C
07-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks inj. I didn't realize you had basically posted the same thing I did but you did a better job of getting the point across. Good job.

Phil C
07-27-2005, 03:55 PM
I know there were some Longhorn recruits that signed with Texas at the last minute but I don't know of any that deceived others the way RP did.

shellman54
07-27-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
hahaha i still hate sims, that jerk. i know there were more involved than just his father being a former great at the school, but i still dont like him. major applewhite was a great qb he shuold have never lost his starting position.

did some checking, the elder Simms didn't go to school at UT. either way, I do think the school used the younger Sims as a publicity stunt, which hurt them because Major was definitly the better QB.

Phil C
07-27-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by shellman54
did some checking, the elder Simms didn't go to school at UT. either way, I do think the school used the younger Sims as a publicity stunt, which hurt them because Major was definitly the better QB.

Major was great but we have to remember there were critical times when he was injured.

KTJ
07-27-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by KL3
KTJ, what the hell do you think my point is? Do you really not get it?

My point is how many times do you hear a longhorn complaining about what Perriloux did to them? Do you ever hear them say, "well we signed 3 kids who did the same thing, so I'm really not too mad at Perriloux for what he did."

No, you always hear the longhorn complain about Perriloux, say how bad he handled it, and then complain some more. Never a word is said about the guys that Texas signed WHO DID THE EXACT SAME THING. Is this really hard for you to understand?

I guess maybe the problem is 90% of the people don't even know about the other kids, they just know about Perriloux.

To answer your question KTJ, I guess my main point is that horn fans are very hipocritical on this topic. I hope that works for you.

First off, it's "hypocritical." :D

Second, I don't know of any Horn fans who still get upset about the RP situation. People are past that. So because 1 person brings it up, it means we are all doing it. :rolleyes:

Third, if you honestly think that those same recruits had the same prestige as RP then something is wrong. Yeah, they were prime recuirts, but no where on the same level as RP.

Fourth, taking the high and mighty route is very typical. So what should we have done? Should we have not taken those kids because they committed elsewhere? Would A&M have done the samething? Or would the Aggies acknowledged their all-powerfulness and never have gotten mad at a stud QB that committed then turned the other cheek? If the shoe was on the other foot, I guarantee you wouldn't do the things you're advocating. So to say we are hypocritical for doing said thing is hypocritical in itself.

I'm not going to get into yet another Texas/A&M argument yet again. It's really sad how.........nevermind. I'll keep my posting privileges.

AggieJohn
07-29-2005, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Or would the Aggies acknowledged their all-powerfulness

so you finally are recognizing it?

;)

Phil C
07-29-2005, 08:12 AM
Ryan who? Did you see what a good job Colt did for the North even though they lost? :)

injuredinmelee
07-29-2005, 08:31 AM
I was really impressed with the way Colt played in the game. The timing was off but it was that way for all the QBs. I think he will be a good college QB someday. He might not be great but he will be good and win some games for the Horns.

KL3
07-29-2005, 10:36 AM
injuredinmelee, I have never heard of that story occuring, and I follow recruiting probably closer than anyone on this board. I actually have subscriptions to both the A&M and Texas Rivals websites. The only reciever that Perriloux visited anywhere together with was Fred Rouse, a top WR from Florida. Not saying it's not true, but how many times do those newspaper stories actually turn out to be right?

It is pretty much fact that a top player in Louisiana will be going to LSU if LSU wants him, thats just how it is down there. You are born and raised a Tiger. It was widely known around recruiting circles back in December that Perriloux was going to switch to LSU. Every Rivals guy was saying that, of course with the exception being the Texas Rivals guy, Geoff Ketchum. Mack Brown even began to realize this, making a late run at Southlake Carroll's Chase Daniel, who said "thanks but no thanks" to Texas, who actually had been his dream school, but was hurt by the lack of attention early on.

KTJ, I agree with you that A&M would have taken those committments, any school in the nation would take a late commit from a player they wanted to switch. We've done it many times before. 2 of our starting Oline this year are decommitments from Colorado and LSU. That's not the problem I have with this situation. I am just tired of Longhorns saying they are the only ones that got screwed, when in fact, that is not the case. Okie St. and Arizona did as well.

Also, I never said the other 2 recruits were on the same level as Perriloux was, they obviously were not. But that should not matter. All 3 kids told a school they were going to sign with them, and then all 3 switched.

Phil C
07-29-2005, 11:35 AM
KL3 you must have missed this:

http://hurricane-warning.com/boards/showpost.php?p=17521&postcount=1

YBS
07-29-2005, 01:49 PM
Texas' difficulty at securing a QB may be b/c of how Major got screwed over when Simms came in a few years back. Similarly, James Brown got the same treatment when he got yanked for Shae Morenz, I believe. Someone correct me please.

AggieJohn
07-29-2005, 02:13 PM
perriloux is an arse from what i can tell so far, he expects to be starting next year, that's why he didn't go to texas, and that's why texas will be better off with out him

Phil C
07-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by YBS
Texas' difficulty at securing a QB may be b/c of how Major got screwed over when Simms came in a few years back. Similarly, James Brown got the same treatment when he got yanked for Shae Morenz, I believe. Someone correct me please.

One correction though that is a factor is that there were times when Major got injured and couldn't play.