PDA

View Full Version : Something to think about as relates to Cameron and Jasper....

theyoefnshow
11-19-2002, 12:26 AM
Looking at the datapoll, I was interested to learn more about Jasper's opponents this season. NOT counting the team that defeated them, only 3 teams Jasper has played this year had a winning record and one went 5-5. Cameron has played 6 teams with an above .500 record and played 1 that went 5-5. Not taking anything away from the Newton win (the only relevant game they've played even though they lost via forfeit) the overall record of Cameron's opponents (counting Gatesville twice) is 64-53. Jasper's.....(not counting Houston, I couldn't find their record) 41-59. Just thought it was interesting that's all..........

SINTON81
11-19-2002, 01:11 AM
Strake Jesuit Crusaders, from Houston, record is 8-3 overall, and 3-0 in district. From Houston Chronicle web site.

Bulldog92
11-19-2002, 03:19 AM
That's a good point, Yoe. I think Jasper's coaches thought this was a good schedule going into the season, but most of the teams had worse seasons than anyone would have anticipated. I would like to see us schedule one or two higher-caliber 4A teams, but I'm not sure how simple that is. Jasper is playing well on both sides of the ball, especially on defense. wink

duckbutter
11-19-2002, 10:21 AM
It doesn't matter at this point who Jasper has played or not played. Cameron had better play their best game of yr and hope that they still don't get blown out.
Jasper 42
Cameronn 7

Reveille
11-19-2002, 10:26 AM
Point taken Yoe. Traditionally Jasper has had a hard time obtaining quality opponents as a 4a team. When we dropped to 3a, it made it even worse. A number of years ago we had to go to the Little Rock area for a game. The 20 4a district this year had eight teams in it. We were able to get PNG and Sisbee. They ended up being lower teams in that district though. Obviously none of the 5a teams wanted to touch us. Unfortunately, you have to play what you can get.

Matthew328
11-19-2002, 11:01 AM
Having a hard time finding opponents sounds very familar!! LOL

southern_thunder
11-19-2002, 12:09 PM
Scrimmaged Nederland and scored 3 times the first 15 plays, Bay City would play us, Forest Brook wouldnt play us, West Orange wouldnt play us, Ozen wouldnt play us, Lufkin wouldnt play us. Had to take what we could get. And because of the weaker schedule the starters have probly only averaged two and a half to three quarters of playing time per game. But like duckbutter said now it doesnt matter who you have played it is all about who you are about to play.

j_dog
11-19-2002, 12:36 PM
Yes, Jasper surely would have liked to have scheduled better opponents. However, if you look behind the records of the teams they did play, it is not as bad as it looks. To start with, all the public teams they played were 4a, not 3a. Probably only Nacogdoches was totally inept, but don't blame Jasper for that. 5a Lufkin played them also. Houston Smiley was probably the next weakest team. The other two 4a teams Jasper played were really not so bad if you look at their games. Port Neches-Groves was in contention for a playoff spot in 20-4a right down to the end. Silsbee was a hard luck team, losing five district games by five points or less. Silsbee lost by only one point to Ozen, the eventual 20-4a district champion. Jasper beat PN-G 25-0 and beat Silsbee 38-12 if I remember correctly.

Yes, your comments are interesting, but I don't see how that is going to help Yoe on Saturday night. If I am wrong I will eat crow on Monday, but I believe the things Yoe has been able to do against ordinary teams is going to be much tougher against Jasper. Teams like Newton, Diboll, and Mexia have already learned that fact first hand.

spiveyrat
11-19-2002, 12:43 PM
good grief. here we go again... schedule, schmedule... like duckbutter said, cameron will have to be at their best to stay within 20 points of this jasper team. :rolleyes:

Jason1725
11-19-2002, 02:09 PM
You would think some of these people would learn to just keep quit but they have to talk noise. Someone on here from Cameron has said Jasper better bring their A-game if they want to win, like Jasper is somehow the lesser team in this one. I think that poster must be dyslexic because Yoe better have their A-game. Is Jasper unbeatable no, anyone can be beat. But Jasper if still in 4A would be a legit contender there; they simply have a special group of seniors on this team. They are focused on each game and know what the ultimate goal is. Like those shirts say Jasper has unfinished business and I think they will finish it this year.

c-town_balla
11-19-2002, 04:42 PM
whats with the name calling there jason?

c-town_balla
11-19-2002, 04:44 PM
whats with the name calling there jason?

White&Crimson
11-19-2002, 05:11 PM
southern_thunder:
Scrimmaged Nederland and scored 3 times the first 15 plays, Bay City would play us, Forest Brook wouldnt play us, West Orange wouldnt play us, Ozen wouldnt play us, Lufkin wouldnt play us. Had to take what we could get. And because of the weaker schedule the starters have probly only averaged two and a half to three quarters of playing time per game. But like duckbutter said now it doesnt matter who you have played it is all about who you are about to play.West Orange didn't want to play us...what a shock huh? :D

Jason1725
11-19-2002, 05:37 PM
Name calling? I said Dyslexic because that means someone reads things backwards, and my point was just that he got it backwards.