PDA

View Full Version : W-H story

3afan
07-26-2005, 06:20 AM
W-H players snapping with the enemy

Seniors may be moved to football rival Madison

05:19 AM CDT on Tuesday, July 26, 2005

By DAVE LANCE / The Dallas Morning News

While many folks in the community were relieved to hear that Wilmer-Hutchins students would have a home this school year, there was some grumbling in the locker room.

The Dallas school board voted unanimously Monday to take in the district's 2,700 students this year. But some senior football players were not pleased with the prospect of merging with a rival power – Madison.

"I don't like that one bit. They were never one of my options," said Anthony Webb, a senior cornerback who has orally committed to Kansas. "For one thing it's too far for me to go to school. And the rivalry we've had with Madison ... this is not too good."

Students will be bused to dozens of schools in South Dallas, and athletes should know their new assignments midweek – in time for football practice Monday. The Dallas high schools under consideration are South Oak Cliff, Roosevelt, Carter and A. Maceo Smith.

But Madison is being considered as a home for the entire senior class.

Senior football player Frankie Solomon said his first choice would be South Oak Cliff.

"I really don't like going to Madison. We've been playing them all these years. It's a rivalry. It's really too far for me to go."

Webb added that it will be hard to make the social adjustment to a new school and a new team.

"We had senior activities and things to do for our school," he said. "It wouldn't be right to do it with people you don't know and never met before. I'm just not feeling Madison."

Texas Football magazine has Madison picked to finish second in district 10-3A – behind Wilmer-Hutchins. Last year was a renaissance for Madison. It finished 9-4 and made the state playoffs for the first time since 1991.

"The kids deserve an education, No. 1. If they decide to play football, we'd welcome them," said Madison coach Ronald Johnson. "With the talent we have – and don't overlook that – we felt we were going to compete for a state championship. We thought it was going to be between us and Wilmer-Hutchins.

"With our caliber talent, and if they decide to bring Wilmer-Hutchins over here, that'll push us over the edge."

Johnson said that 25 to 30 kids usually come out for his varsity squad. As for adding more players, he said: "That's a pleasant problem. We'd welcome it."

Some adults were more pleased with Monday's decision.

Joyce Page, whose grandson is a Wilmer-Hutchins senior, said she's saddened that the district is being eliminated – but happy that the children "are getting a chance to shine."

"There are a lot of people who contributed to this demise," Page said. "The board has been in a disarray for a long time. Our schools are dilapidated. But now our kids have an opportunity to go for it. I hate to see it happen, but we have to be concerned about the children at this time."

Beverly Smith, whose children graduated from Wilmer-Hutchins in 1988 and 1989, said the district used to be better.

"But I think this ought to be permanent because Wilmer-Hutchins isn't doing its job anymore," Smith said. "Dallas has more stability. We've neglected our children's education the past couple of years."

With the start of school just around the corner, Monday's decision brought many questions from students. They said the school crisis has been a constant source of conversation this summer.

"We're all reading the newspaper to find out where we'll end up," said Cloyce Reed, 17. "They never sent us a letter or called us."

Some students – and football players – said they are making their own school choices. Brothers Mondrel and Jarele Shaw say they're planning to move away from their parents to attend Gatesville High School, southwest of Waco.

They said a family friend, a relative of a Gatesville coach, persuaded them to move.

"He said they'll treat you like a star if you come out there with speed and talent," said Mondrel, a 15-year-old sophomore. "There's a chance for more scholarships and a place to start. There are less people at that school, so there are better opportunities."

Staff writers Herb Booth and Paul Meyer contributed to this report.

E-mail dlance@dallasnews.com

3afan
07-26-2005, 06:23 AM
if all the seniors end up at Madison it appears Matt will have to revise his top 25 once again !!!

mwynn05
07-26-2005, 09:10 AM
If they put them all at madison it's like DISD trying to win a state title more than they worried about the kids. Unless they are thinking they want the kids to graduate from a scholl that was the same size as WH

BeastoftheEast
07-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Sounds like there will be some major problems to deal with. Many of the Juniors and Sophs at Madison may quite over the whole issue and hurt Madison next year. This sounds like a great thing but it will do more harm than good for Madison. What about Gatesville and their recruiting? Is that a little on the illegal side?

JR2004
07-26-2005, 06:51 PM
I know that the head FB coach would very much welcome those kids from Hutch. If they do wind up going to Madison, there should be a revised top 25. Madison already should've been in the top 25 with all the talent they already have, but that's another story. The BB coach knows about the article as well and he felt like the quotes from some of those kids were ideas put there by some adults. I know he'd welcome those kids as well and that he has never had any problems with any of the kids from Hutch. The rivalry with Hutch has been good, but it's been a clean rivalry for the most part and there hasn't been any real hatred from the kids at Madison towards Hutch so I don't see that there would be any big problems from the Madison kids except maybe for the ones who would lose starting spots to any transfers from Hutch. They only have a very strong dislike/hatred for their neighborhood rivals down the street known as the Purple Tigers. :)

The Gatesville quote was somewhat interesting to me though, but it clearly did say it was a family friend of a coach at Gatesville. I talk to Gatesville's coach on a regular basis and I know that he doesn't recruit players. He's a stand-up guy and that's just not something that he does nor do any of his assistants.

Rabbit'93
07-26-2005, 08:09 PM
If I'm thinking clearly...Madison is actually closer than SOC. I'm not understanding why the players are saying it's too far. Madison is directly north and SOC is northwest.

lostaussie
07-26-2005, 08:22 PM
this is gonna get very interesting before it's over.

3afan
07-27-2005, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
If I'm thinking clearly...Madison is actually closer than SOC. I'm not understanding why the players are saying it's too far. Madison is directly north and SOC is northwest.

SOC is closer - its South of downtown Dallas about halfway to I20, Madison is just southeast in the shadow of downtown

DISD High Schools (http://www.dallasisd.org/schools/hs_listing.htm)

sinton66
07-27-2005, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by BeastoftheEast
Sounds like there will be some major problems to deal with. Many of the Juniors and Sophs at Madison may quite over the whole issue and hurt Madison next year. This sounds like a great thing but it will do more harm than good for Madison. What about Gatesville and their recruiting? Is that a little on the illegal side?

I don't know how North Texas does things, but in South Texas, if a person moves into a new district, the people he's living with (if not his parents) have to have legal custody (guardianship) in order for him to not lose a year of elgibility. At least, it's that way with our district committee.

HighSchool Fan
07-27-2005, 08:14 AM
gatesville is in central texas. if you really want to know about HS recruiting, you should get in touch with GA Moore.

Rabbit'93
07-27-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
SOC is closer - its South of downtown Dallas about halfway to I20, Madison is just southeast in the shadow of downtown

DISD High Schools (http://www.dallasisd.org/schools/hs_listing.htm)
I was thinking of A Maceo Smith not madison:confused: . My bad

AggieJohn
07-27-2005, 09:38 AM
so many mad people