PDA

View Full Version : Home Run Derby in Houston Tonight

shellman54
07-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Biggio and Berkman are tied at two right now, going into the fourth inning. They have hit back to back HR's in the first and third innings against Philadelphia, whom they trail by half a game in the wild card standings.

Buccaneer
07-25-2005, 09:41 PM
Astros win 7-1 ! They are 2 1/2 games out of the Wild Card lead!

Gobbla2001
07-25-2005, 09:47 PM
'Stros sure are letting the bats go... awesome stuff...

Last year the 'Stros were in about the same situation with the Phillies, and basically took them out of the wildcard race on their own... hope it happens this time...

sahen
07-25-2005, 10:21 PM
if the astros keep winning on this current pace there won't be a wild card race....they will win it by 10 games or so....however playing at this pace w/o a slump would be quite impressive and hard to do...hopefully we can keep it up and run away w/ the wild card, unfortunately the cards will have to collaspe to catch them...

MagicMan
07-25-2005, 11:02 PM
whooooooooooooooooo
go ASTROS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AggieJohn
07-26-2005, 01:26 AM
only if we could make a trade now like we did last year

Ranger05
07-26-2005, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Astros win 7-1 ! They are 2 1/2 games out of the Wild Card lead! 3 games out the Nationals and Braves didnt play last night

Buccaneer
07-26-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
only if we could make a trade now like we did last year

Who would you trade ? And who do you want to acquire?

Gobbla2001
07-26-2005, 05:30 PM
A trad would almost be pointless for the 'Stros right now...

Who do you trade? The only thing, if ANYTHING, that the Astros need right now are batters... but the only players a team would take for good batters are pitchers... why get rid of them?

When the Astros got their trade last year it helped turn things around...

Without a trade this year they have already turned things around...

And whoever mentioned trading Berkman the last time the topic came up, would you do it now?

didn't think so

GWOOD
07-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
A trad would almost be pointless for the 'Stros right now...

Who do you trade? The only thing, if ANYTHING, that the Astros need right now are batters... but the only players a team would take for good batters are pitchers... why get rid of them?

When the Astros got their trade last year it helped turn things around...

Without a trade this year they have already turned things around...

I think I am seeing things your way Gobbla even though I have been wishing for a trade all month. My dilemma is this:

Keep the team as is, strong possibility of making the playoffs, might get past the first round, then get beat by the Cardinals and wait until next year. Remember how Ensberg showed promise last year but often struggled...Lane, Everett, Burke could all reach their potential next year like Ensberg did this year. Could be a banner year next year.

or

Acknowledge that you may never, ever again have three healthy pitchers with ERA's of 1.50, 2.33, and 2.68. You add a great bat to your lineup with a once every half century pitching lineup and you might win the world series this year.

So what do you do? - Wait and hope for a better year next year with all your prospects still growing and waiting their turn

or

Go for it all this year with that fantastic starting three by trading off some of your prospects to add a proven bat to your lineup?

lostaussie
07-30-2005, 10:56 PM
stros are on fire. i'd take my place in the playoffs with the bats i have, and put those 3 guns up against anybody.

GWOOD
07-30-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
stros are on fire. i'd take my place in the playoffs with the bats i have, and put those 3 guns up against anybody.

They are on fire. But what if they go 5-5 over the next 10 games and drop even in the wild card race? Still hang onto the same lineup or make a trade?

lostaussie
07-30-2005, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
They are on fire. But what if they go 5-5 over the next 10 games and drop even in the wild card race? Still hang onto the same lineup or make a trade? 5-5 is no reason to panic. they seem to be shaping up just like they did last year, only a little sooner. in a playoff series, when healthy, these arms can take on anybody.

AggieJohn
07-30-2005, 11:15 PM
bye bye nationals