PDA

View Full Version : Baseball/softball question!

Ranger Mom
07-25-2005, 10:19 AM
We are having new fields built in Greenwood. I was looking at them this weekend and noticed something that I never noticed before (me being such a big fan of those sports anyway)!!:p

Why is the softball infield all dirt and the baseball only dirt on the base path and pitcher's mound?

pirate4state
07-25-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
We are having new fields built in Greenwood. I was looking at them this weekend and noticed something that I never noticed before (me being such a big fan of those sports anyway)!!:p

Why is the softball infield all dirt and the baseball only dirt on the base path and pitcher's mound? :D My only guess is that just like everything else they won't spend any money on the girls!!! LOL!! :D :D

I'm kidding, of course, I'm sure 18handicap can help with this question...maybe even Phil knows. :)

It may have to do with all the bunting that is done in softball. :confused: :thinking:

Ranger Mom
07-25-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:D My only guess is that just like everything else they won't spend any money on the girls!!! LOL!! :D :D

I'm kidding, of course, I'm sure 18handicap can help with this question...maybe even Phil knows. :)

Is that common everywhere? I just noticed it and asked my husband, he said most softball fields he remembered seeing were dirt/clay infields..no grass. He didn't know why either!

pirate4state
07-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Is that common everywhere? I just noticed it and asked my husband, he said most softball fields he remembered seeing were dirt/clay infields..no grass. He didn't know why either! Yes, all high school fields that I've seen are an all dirt infield. I have seen some little league fields that are grass infields. :rolleyes:

Phil C
07-25-2005, 10:38 AM
I guess I should probably know the anwer but alas I do not. :(

We're Back
07-25-2005, 10:40 AM
maybe because the ball is hit a lot harder in baseball and therefore grass is needed to slow the ball down a bit? i have no clue this is just a guess

3afan
07-25-2005, 10:49 AM
i dont know WHY - but thats the ASA/ISF standard

one HS in the Dallas area - Greenhill - actually has an all grass infield with dirt only around the bases ...

LH Panther Mom
07-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I guess I should probably know the anwer but alas I do not. :(

:eek: I am quite surprised. :eek: :)

Ranger Mom
07-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:eek: I am quite surprised. :eek: :)

Me too!

I just KNEW when I posted that either 3afan or PhilC would be able to answer me!

Now it's gonna drive me nuts. I have been searching Google ever since they told me they didn't know....still haven't found an answer!

:(

District303aPastPlayer
07-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Me too!

I just KNEW when I posted that either 3afan or PhilC would be able to answer me!

Now it's gonna drive me nuts. I have been searching Google ever since they told me they didn't know....still haven't found an answer!

:(

ever hear of the story of the 3 generations of women would cut the ends off the ham, and one christmas, the youngest asked why, so her mother called the young girls grandmother, and asked teh grandmother said "i cut it because my pan wasnt large enough"

it could just be that it was played on a field like that to begin with...

lostaussie
07-25-2005, 01:52 PM
most, but not all softball fields are all dirt, mens and womens. most baseball fields are grass infields with dirt basepaths. if they get they really get fancy only the base sliding areas themselves will be dirt. i acyually played one year of high school ball on an all dirt infield. it was way too fast and the school changed it back to grass the next year. so to make a long story short, there really is no right or wrong.

Ranger Mom
07-25-2005, 02:27 PM
Right or wrong...there has still gotta be a reason!

I MUST FIND THE REASON!!!!http://www.gcn.ie/newgcn/forum/smileys/sm/speechless-smiley-022.gif

pirate4state
07-25-2005, 02:30 PM
Right or wrong...there has still gotta be a reason!

I MUST FIND THE REASON!!!!http://www.gcn.ie/newgcn/forum/smileys/sm/speechless-smiley-022.gif Where is 18handicap when we need him?? :thinking: Oh wait...coaching school in SA. :doh:

FootballChik98
07-25-2005, 08:21 PM
I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago when we were driving through Crandall. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know what the reasoning is behind that.

lostaussie
07-25-2005, 08:29 PM
it's a sinister plot known only by men since the beginning of baseball as we know it. we didn't want you to have grass. want to keep it all to ourselves. but you ranger mom, have exposed the plot. good. i was tired of keeping that secret anyway!!!!!!!!

18handicap
07-25-2005, 10:12 PM
No I didn't go to SA this week. I just got back from watching some of my players play at the AFA Nationals in Beaumont.

To answer the question -- the NFHS rule book "recommends" that the infield be skinned (dirt). Now for the background for that -- I don't know, but even in the Houston area, we play slow pitch on all dirt infields too. Maybe it's just tradition, but the part about the ball moving faster in the grass is wrong in my honest opinion. At least you can grow the grass higher to slow the ball down. LOL

g$$
07-27-2005, 05:09 AM
I have always thought it to be for maintenance purposes. No mowing, edging, etc. on the infield, esp. as the season wears on & bad hops develop w/ lips, etc. (just drag & turn it over). The rule book just "recommends" it, so traditionally it is done that way. Same with slow pitch. You can slow the ball down with grass by growing it higher & thicker - the Chicago Cubs used to do that when they had an older group of infielders (as have others). I'll take grass anyday over all dirt. 18 Handicap - good luck to you in your new position. You did a fine job in Sweeny, & that community will miss you. Are you the Barry Switzer of LaGrange replacing Jimmy Johnson after he won 2 Super Bowls? Just kidding. Saw where Sweeny got the Danbury coach to come home. She better bring some pitching with her!! She is a quality coach & will do a good job given some time. Take care.