PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Men and Women's USA soccer today 7-24-05

PhiI C
07-24-2005, 06:22 PM
I have lots to report today. I know many of you are not interested in soccer at all which is fine so I have headed my post so that you will know what it is about and not have to read it if not interested.

Our USA women played Iceland in a friendly game that was very frustrating in the first 64 minutes because the USA had 20 shots at scoring and came up zero while Iceland only had two mild threats. In the 64th minute Danielle Fotopulous scored a goal and less than a minute later scored another one giving our USA women a 2 to 0 lead and they went on to win the game 3 to 0. A good game indeed. One thing encouraging was the play of Tina Frimpong from the University of Washington. Keep your eye on that young lady soccer fans because great potential is there. She has the potential to be a great player I think with just a little experience and coaching. She has great movies and great instinct from what I saw and she can kick almost making a long score that was just over the crossbar. She is very fast and quick with the ball and running. Of course Iceland is not a world class team yet but she did show some promising potential to be a future star.

The USA men beat Panama in a thriller today in their group qualifying round for the world cup. Neither team scored in regulation or two overtimes so it came to penalty kicks and the USA won the shootout there 3 to 1.

Also our Under 19 women are undefeating in the Nordic World Cup in Europe and are playing Norway (I think Tuesday) for the championship!

Good news indeed about our USA teams. Go USA!!

Manck
07-24-2005, 11:22 PM
Hate to correct you Phil, but the Men's Team game was the Gold Cup Final, and had no bearing on World Cup Qualifying.

I think that the US earns an automatic bid to the next Confederation Cup in a couple of years though. The next qualifier for the World Cup is against Trinidad and Tobago in Hartford next month.

Goldenstick
07-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Nice win for the Yanks even though they couldn't do it in regular time. I wish Houston Reliant would get more team USA games:(