PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France - Stage 20

PhiI C
07-23-2005, 12:23 AM
In just a few hours the last main stage will be over. It will start on OLNTV at 7:30 A.M. to 10:30 A.M. This last stage will be time trials. It will be Lance's last competitive competition since Sunday is just a formality ride to Paris by tradition. It will be time trials so I probably won't report on them till the race is over and someone may beat me to the post which is ok.

Lance should win the yellow jersey again but he must be careful. It is a short time trial but there are some dangerous curves and hills. But with the time advantage he should be ok. He has already won a record six tours and should be getting seven soon.

AP Panther Fan
07-23-2005, 12:28 AM
Thanks GodFather, it has been fun reading your posts about the Tour de France...I became alot more educated during the process.;

I am hoping Lance walks away with this final notch in his belt!:thumbsup:

PhiI C
07-23-2005, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Thanks GodFather, it has been fun reading your posts about the Tour de France...I became alot more educated during the process.;

I am hoping Lance walks away with this final notch in his belt!:thumbsup:

Thank you AP. I am sure he will if nothing unexpected happens. Still I will be glad when he walks up to that podium for the final time on Sunday.

PhiI C
07-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Lance wins stage 20 and now has officially won the Tour de France! Ivan Basso gets second place and as expected Jan Ullrich was able to beat out Rasmussen for third place. Rasmussen had bad luck and crashed once but Ullrich did a great race coming a close second behind Lance and even gained time on Basso but not enough to get second place. Magnificient indeed! All Lance has to do to officially win is ride with the peloton to Paris tomorrow and by tradition all the racers ride together to Paris with only the sprinters at the end racing to the finish line for a stage win which won't change the overall standings.

Etexpirate
07-23-2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks Phil.. I enjoyed reading your posts and looked forward to them every day! In fact.. I would sometimes read your post and not even watch, as your commentary was equally as exciting!! Thanks!!:clap:

PhiI C
07-23-2005, 03:33 PM
Thank you etx!

gobbler grad
07-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Wonder how Lance's time this year compares to times in the past when he has won? :thinking: faster or slower...:thinking:

he's had a great run the past 7 years, wish him the best after retirement...

wish I could retire that young...:)

PhiI C
07-23-2005, 03:45 PM
They will show it again tonight starting at 7. John Kerry, the domocratic candidate for president last year was interviewed and he rode the team car behind Lance. You may want to also watch it for that.

turbostud
07-23-2005, 04:18 PM
Here is what Lance and his main rival Jan Ullrich had to say about each other after todays stage.

Armstrong: "Jan's special. He's a special guy; to me, he's still the scariest guy. He needs to come to the Tour not in a lot better shape, but a little better shape. He has the package, but it's just the first 10 days; if he changes that, he wins."

Jan Ullrich:
"I am also pleased with my own Tour. Just getting to Paris and standing on the podium, is something special after the crashes I suffered. Even without crashing, I still don't think I could have beaten Lance. He is simply too strong and you have to give him credit for that.
When he leaves cycling, we will be saying goodbye to one of the greatest sportsmen of all time. With his physical and mental strength, his enthusiasm and willpower, nobody - me included - was able to hold a candle to him these past seven years.... It is pleasing that he has invited me to his victory- and farewell-party in Paris tomorrow evening. I will use this chance to say: congratulations and all the best, Lance!"

AP Panther Fan
07-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Here is what Lance and his main rival Jan Ullrich had to say about each other after todays stage.

Armstrong: "Jan's special. He's a special guy; to me, he's still the scariest guy. He needs to come to the Tour not in a lot better shape, but a little better shape. He has the package, but it's just the first 10 days; if he changes that, he wins."

Jan Ullrich:
"I am also pleased with my own Tour. Just getting to Paris and standing on the podium, is something special after the crashes I suffered. Even without crashing, I still don't think I could have beaten Lance. He is simply too strong and you have to give him credit for that.
When he leaves cycling, we will be saying goodbye to one of the greatest sportsmen of all time. With his physical and mental strength, his enthusiasm and willpower, nobody - me included - was able to hold a candle to him these past seven years.... It is pleasing that he has invited me to his victory- and farewell-party in Paris tomorrow evening. I will use this chance to say: congratulations and all the best, Lance!"

This brought tears to my eyes.... :weeping:

too bad losers can't be this gracious....I love it!