PDA

View Full Version : Levelland and District 2

BeastoftheEast
07-22-2005, 07:55 PM
How will Levelland be this year? What type of offense and defense will they run? I thought they may make a little more noise with their large enrollment and the coach from Stratford. I know he had an incredible run there. Does he have the kids coming up in the program there to duplicate that type of success in 3A?

BeastoftheEast
07-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Is there noone on this board from the High Plains? What web site to the High Plains football fans get on?

LH Panther Mom
07-24-2005, 06:50 PM
I don't ever recall seeing a Levelland poster. :thinking: In fact, other than a couple of Muleshoe guys, I don't remember anyone else from the district.

lostaussie
07-24-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I don't ever recall seeing a Levelland poster. :thinking: In fact, other than a couple of Muleshoe guys, I don't remember anyone else from the district. let's make up some rumors about them then!!!!!!!!!

LH Panther Mom
07-24-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
let's make up some rumors about them then!!!!!!!!!

LOL! Actually, Levelland's bad enough without having to make up rumors about it. ;) J/K, btw. :)

lostaussie
07-24-2005, 06:58 PM
you so bad!!!!!!!

Da Mules
07-25-2005, 08:38 PM
It's too early to give anybody a long-term forecast on Levelland.. the problem with that school is the past failures and near-total collapse of their football program. Brad Thiessen and crew built a quality program in 1a Stratford, and they did make the playoffs their 1st year at Levellland; altho in a 5-team district where you only had to win 2 district games to qualify for 3rd place.
Last year, you could tell by the Lobo players' attitudes during the 0-41 shellacking that Muleshoe gave them that they were just used to losing... I think in the next 1-2 years you will start seeing young players who have bought into the new coach's program and haven't been ruined by the old program. I can vouch for that process having watched David Wood take Muleshoe up from being everybody's favorite homecoming opponent to being a respectable Panhandle/ West Texas program. He did it by "getting by" with the Jr and Srs he "inherited" for a couple of years, and they won 1 game his first year...they were terrible.
But David was constantly working and building and training the younger ones to believe in themselves. The sophomore kids he put on the varsity during his 2nd year took some awful shellackings, but they learned and grew, and when they were seniors, they swept the district in football and basketball (1998.)

Given Levelland's coaching staff and large enrollment (877 this year, I believe), they really have no excuse not to become a Region 1 powerhouse in the next few years.

VWG
07-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Da Mules
It's too early to give anybody a long-term forecast on Levelland.. the problem with that school is the past failures and near-total collapse of their football program. Brad Thiessen and crew built a quality program in 1a Stratford, and they did make the playoffs their 1st year at Levellland; altho in a 5-team district where you only had to win 2 district games to qualify for 3rd place.
Last year, you could tell by the Lobo players' attitudes during the 0-41 shellacking that Muleshoe gave them that they were just used to losing... I think in the next 1-2 years you will start seeing young players who have bought into the new coach's program and haven't been ruined by the old program. I can vouch for that process having watched David Wood take Muleshoe up from being everybody's favorite homecoming opponent to being a respectable Panhandle/ West Texas program. He did it by "getting by" with the Jr and Srs he "inherited" for a couple of years, and they won 1 game his first year...they were terrible.
But David was constantly working and building and training the younger ones to believe in themselves. The sophomore kids he put on the varsity during his 2nd year took some awful shellackings, but they learned and grew, and when they were seniors, they swept the district in football and basketball (1998.)

Given Levelland's coaching staff and large enrollment (877 this year, I believe), they really have no excuse not to become a Region 1 powerhouse in the next few years.

There have been a few 4A drop downs in the last few years that haven't met expectations. Borger is one that comes to mind.

BeastoftheEast
07-25-2005, 09:46 PM
How were Levellands lower levels? Surely with their numbers they have some kids for Coach T. to work with.

mulefan
07-25-2005, 10:56 PM
They have 6/6 starters returning. I agree its gonna take 1-2 years to believe in Thiessens plan but by that time will they be a 4A again? Im looking forward to kickoff. Go Mules!

Da Mules
07-26-2005, 07:05 PM
I agree with you on Borger, VWG. Borger was a so-so 4a program, and has been run-of-the-mill up to this point in 3a. I don't see that they have done anything different. The reason I think Levelland WILL change is because they went out and hired one of the best coaches (and most, but not all, of his staff ) that they could. Just by sheer numbers, they should have a good shot at finding enough good athletes to develop a strong program.

Another school that could see eventually have much better footal program is Amarillo River Road. Last year, they brought in a coach who won 4 State 5a championships in Kansas. And he can coach..
eh, MuleFan?

VWG
07-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Da Mules
I agree with you on Borger, VWG. Borger was a so-so 4a program, and has been run-of-the-mill up to this point in 3a. I don't see that they have done anything different. The reason I think Levelland WILL change is because they went out and hired one of the best coaches (and most, but not all, of his staff ) that they could. Just by sheer numbers, they should have a good shot at finding enough good athletes to develop a strong program.

Another school that could see eventually have much better footal program is Amarillo River Road. Last year, they brought in a coach who won 4 State 5a championships in Kansas. And he can coach..
eh, MuleFan?

River Road??? I dunno... that will be a bigger turnaround project than Borger or Levelland.
River Road was going back and forth on a bond proposal for new school, etc... it would fail and then they would get it to vote again, then it would fail and then they would get it to a vote.... again... never could figure how the voters could turn down a bond proposal and then they could get it back to the same voters hands a few months down the road.

Da Mules
07-26-2005, 07:37 PM
"River Road??? I dunno... that will be a bigger turnaround project than Borger or Levelland. "

We all would have said the same thing about Muleshoe in 1995, and we'd have been right. Tom Landry said something about success in football (and any other sport, for that matter) being about 99% mental. If a coach can lead and inspire kids to believe in themselves, then the kids are going to put out the effort. I think it starts with somebody who can COACH.. and anybody who can win 4 state championships in anything has either got it together as a coach, or the town has a heckuva recruitment program. River Road's coach won 4 state championships at Liberal KS. Time will tell what he does in North Amarillo. His record at Liberal was 118-17.
Here's a link to an article in the Amarillo Globe. (That's one of those annoying sites where you have to register to view, but the Globe is a good source for Panhandle football.)
New River Road Coach seeks a Challenge (http://www.amarillo.com/stories/082604/pig_newchallenge.
shtml)

And yes it sure seems some group of people are determined to try and vote in school bonds at River Road. The bond issue was pretty badly voted down last election, and it's back already.
One thing I will agree with... that high school needs a football field. Worst field I've seen... just a bunch of prairie grass with white lines painted on it

mulefan
07-26-2005, 08:38 PM
YES SIR! RIVER ROAD SHOULD BE EXCITING TO WATCH EVEN THIS YEAR I THINK. THE RIGHT COACH CAN TAKE A TEAM WITH NOT ALOT OF SIZE AND SPEED PLAY LIKE THEY HAVE IT AND IT JUST HELPS THEM ON TO THE NEXT SEASONS.