PDA

View Full Version : Decatur RB Devin Godbolt

CRHSeagle
07-22-2005, 03:57 PM
I was just informed from a VERY reliable source that Godbolt is now at the new Denton HS. And that a senior offensive linemen also checked out. Can anyone from Decatur confirm this?

BHBrave08
07-22-2005, 06:52 PM
That is a huge loss if the rumor is true.

Matthew328
07-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Been very hush hush in Decatur....why would Godbolt transfr to Guyer??? He will be a senior and they don't have a varsity team...that doesn't make sense

bullfrog_alumni_02
07-22-2005, 07:39 PM
i read on another site from what i could tell was someone close to him such as a parent and they said he was having academic problems and so they moved him somewhere that he would be able to graduate w/out a delima. so if the story checks out, then it makes sense.

West22
07-22-2005, 10:41 PM
Last year I watched them in the playoffs .They used one running back on most plays and he was very good .He was a real compliment to their passing game. He will be a big loss if he transfers.

CRHSeagle
07-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Its not Guyer hes goin to. I think its something like Denton Liberty. Im not sure on the name. But Im about 95% its true. I have a pretty reliable source. Any word on the senior linemen?

whereugo
07-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Old Coach says Denton Liberty Christian - would make absolutely no sense for him to go to Guyer - if he's having academic problems or struggles, then a private school would make sense. And, if they have no seniors at Guyer - what's he gonna take???Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Phantom Stang
07-23-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by whereugo
Old Coach says Denton Liberty Christian - would make absolutely no sense for him to go to Guyer - if he's having academic problems or struggles, then a private school would make sense. And, if they have no seniors at Guyer - what's he gonna take???Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Does this school have a football program?

whereugo
07-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Yeah - check em out

Fletch
07-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Does this school have a football program?

They won state 2-3 years ago.

mwynn05
07-24-2005, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Fletch
They won state 2-3 years ago. Yes, but it's not in Denton anytmore UNT bought the campus and is going to be building a bunch of stuff there the school is moving to argyle

injuredinmelee
07-24-2005, 05:05 AM
maybe they teach pass blocking for rbs where he ends up.

VWG
07-24-2005, 08:39 AM
It still amazes me that kids today can't pass high school courses.
I feel that it reflects on the student and their parents. To not be able to pass a regular high school course is ridiculous.
Unless you've got a learning disability you should put your nose to the books, get a tutor, do anything to make the grade.

injuredinmelee
07-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by VWG
It still amazes me that kids today can't pass high school courses.
I feel that it reflects on the student and their parents. To not be able to pass a regular high school course is ridiculous.
Unless you've got a learning disability you should put your nose to the books, get a tutor, do anything to make the grade.

AMEN

Bulldawgs100
07-24-2005, 04:42 PM
I talked to him the other day he is going to Liberty Christian. He had mixed emotions about the whole move.

slpybear the bullfan
07-24-2005, 05:16 PM
I had the chance to watch him at 7 on 7 three times this summer. The young man has a heck of a set of wheels. I wish him well.

Multiple sources have confirmed the move out of Decatur.

I haven't heard anything about an OL leaving.

whereugo
07-25-2005, 12:26 PM
Ummm.... could have soomething to do with the fact that he moved from Florida - you know schools are different everywhere and his former living situation may not have been very condusive to academic success - everybody doesn't come from a two-parent, 2.2 kids - picket fence, etc. etc. Hang on to the judgements till you've walked a mile in that person's moccasins you just never know the particulars - no excuses - just reasons - obviously his family is trying to do what's best for him to see that he does get a high school diploma. Don't be hatin'.

bullfrog_alumni_02
07-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Ummm.... could have soomething to do with the fact that he moved from Florida - you know schools are different everywhere and his former living situation may not have been very condusive to academic success - everybody doesn't come from a two-parent, 2.2 kids - picket fence, etc. etc. Hang on to the judgements till you've walked a mile in that person's moccasins you just never know the particulars - no excuses - just reasons - obviously his family is trying to do what's best for him to see that he does get a high school diploma. Don't be hatin'. im not sure where anyone was hating, but ok...im pretty sure the original idea of this thread was to confirm or deny the move, not to dog or disprespect goldbolt or his family. so if im wrong in someone hating on this please let me know. and for the record, high school is not that hard.

LH Panther Mom
07-25-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
im not sure where anyone was hating, but ok...im pretty sure the original idea of this thread was to confirm or deny the move, not to dog or disprespect goldbolt or his family. so if im wrong in someone hating on this please let me know. and for the record, high school is not that hard.

I agree completely.

HighSchool Fan
07-25-2005, 12:55 PM
what does this teach kids, if it's to hard, quit and go somewhere easier?? bad message to send.

Fletch
07-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
what does this teach kids, if it's to hard, quit and go somewhere easier?? bad message to send.

If you are talking about "easier" academics, then Liberty Christain is not the answer. In fact, they probably have an entrance exam that he has to pass to get in. From there, they have a "college preparetory" cirriculum that is pretty tough.

So, if he's having academic problems, he probably needs to stay where he's at. Sounds like he is in with some bad eggs and needs a change of friends:thinking:

HighSchool Fan
07-25-2005, 01:29 PM
here's a quote from another website

Sorry to be the barrier of bad news, but it is true, Devin Godboldt will not be playing for Decatur this year. Due to academic reasons there was a big possibility that he would not have been able to graduate. We chose not to attempt to 'tackle' (no pun intented) that obstacle but to send him where he could graduate without a doubt.
He will still be in the area, but playing as a Warrior.

i wish devin well in whatever he does. he's going to a program that has a heck of a coach.

whereugo
07-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Couple of posters did sound pretty judgmental - no high school itself is not that hard - but there are many, many other variables. Perhaps the test to graduate was a problem, you know some people are just not test takers. No - I am not someone who says give up and go somewhere easier - LC will not at all be easier, but it's a private school - credits can be different and the TASP test is not an issue. I don't think any of us have the right to play off something as being easy when we are not the person trying to succeed. That was my point - and I don't think we need to be quik to jump to the conclusion that he was in with undesirables - why do people always want to think the worst about a kid - high school is easy - he must be a slacker - he's taking the easy way out - sounds like he's in with bad eggs, etc. etc. Godbolt is going to Liberty Christian - obviously it is what he and his family think is right for him - have some class and wish him the best - and let me be the first - Good luck to you, Devin - I know you'll be fine!

CRHSeagle
07-25-2005, 02:09 PM
Im sure that the issue with him is not lacking in credits because u can just check into one of those schools like an Alternative School and get the credits needed right away. Sounds like its either what the previous poster had mentioned, bein in with some bad eggs or just plain family problems. Whatever the situation maybe Im sure its safe to say that all of the 'downlow wishes Devin good luck at LC. I bet that all the district 7-3a defensive cordinators are sleepin a little better:D

Fletch
07-25-2005, 04:26 PM
My point was not to be critical to the kid. I want everyone to have nothing but the best. I was only commenting on the academic standards of DLC, and making a comment that sometimes "academics" is used to protect the kid. That's fine with me.

whereugo
07-25-2005, 05:12 PM
I understand, Fletch - LC is a very academic school and, yes, sometimes parents hide behind that, but in this case, I think, unfortunately, it is probably the real reason. I think this probably is for real - maybe not to catch up on credits but other possibilities such as THE TEST - I'd like to know what others think about THE TEST _ If you pass the TASP to graduate high school, does it make sense that you have to take the THEA for college placement? Good enough to graduate high schoo, but not good enough to go into regular classes in college? Makes no sense - except that half - yes, 50% of all students who attend college in Texas have to enroll in at least one remedial class - sounds like a moneymaker to me - but, hey that's just my take on it.

LH Panther Mom
07-25-2005, 05:40 PM
I'd like to know what others think about THE TEST _ If you pass the TASP to graduate high school, does it make sense that you have to take the THEA for college placement? Good enough to graduate high schoo, but not good enough to go into regular classes in college? Makes no sense - except that half - yes, 50% of all students who attend college in Texas have to enroll in at least one remedial class - sounds like a moneymaker to me - but, hey that's just my take on it.

Unless things have changed from the TAKS to the TASP, if you score high enough, you're exempt from THEA. I agree that not all students "test" well, but with the number of opportunities that are given to pass the test, and the practices, most high school students should be able to pass at the minimum level. Just my $.02.

maroogreen
07-25-2005, 07:53 PM
Here is my $.02 as well. Unless LC has self-imposed the TAKS test on itself (which is possible), students at private schools are not required to pass the TAKS test in order to graduate. Scoring high on your TAKS test can exempt you from the THEA (which is what the TASP test is now called). However, if you did not take the TAKS test in high school because you went to a private school, you have to meet certain college entrance requirements that those from public schools may not have to meet.

Students in public schools can pass all of their courses with a 70 or higher and still not graduate unless they pass ALL the parts of the TAKS exit-level tests--math, ELA (English), social studies, and science. If not passed, the student receives a certificate of completion, not a diploma. The student can try to pass the TAKS exit tests many times, beginning with his or her junior year and continuing even after the graduation ceremonies in order to qualify for a diploma.

The only way around the TAKS test in public schools is reserved for some--but not all--special education students.

My guess is this has something to do with the TAKS test and graduation eligibility. He'll still be able to play ball and probably get the individual help he needs for his school work. Good for his family for making a tough decision.

whereugo
07-26-2005, 07:45 AM
The number of students who are exempt from the THEA are few - like I said 50% of the students who attend college have to take a remedial class - that's not 50% of the students who graduate from high school, but 50% of those who actually go on to enroll in college - sounds pretty high - but anyway - the test is a whole 'nuther can o' worms if you ask me - but thanks maroogreen - best wishes to Devin - changing schools is not the "life-threatening" decision some make it out to be - it's a great opportunity to make new friends and see different things - it is an opportunity if you make it one.

blaster
07-26-2005, 12:12 PM
For whatever reason......this kid has endured a lot in his life. The Bridgeport Fans have respect for this young man and wish him the best.

slpybear the bullfan
07-27-2005, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by blaster
For whatever reason......this kid has endured a lot in his life. The Bridgeport Fans have respect for this young man and wish him the best.

Amen.

tmac
07-27-2005, 10:03 PM
Fletch, i am actually 1 of devins very good friends and if u dont know what u r talkin about.....dont talk its pretty simple

Z motion 10 out on 2
07-27-2005, 11:05 PM
I understand, Fletch - LC is a very academic school and, yes, sometimes parents hide behind that, but in this case, I think, unfortunately, it is probably the real reason. I think this probably is for real - maybe not to catch up on credits but other possibilities such as THE TEST - I'd like to know what others think about THE TEST _ If you pass the TASP to graduate high school, does it make sense that you have to take the THEA for college placement? Good enough to graduate high schoo, but not good enough to go into regular classes in college? Makes no sense - except that half - yes, 50% of all students who attend college in Texas have to enroll in at least one remedial class - sounds like a moneymaker to me - but, hey that's just my take on it.

As a college professor I can assure you that the remedial classes are needed. You should see some of the writing I get.

Z motion 10 out on 2
07-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Also at a private school I suspect that the class size is smaller and the students get more individual attention from their teachers.

(This is speculation since I don't have the numbers in front of me)

Fletch
07-28-2005, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by tmac
Fletch, i am actually 1 of devins very good friends and if u dont know what u r talkin about.....dont talk its pretty simple

Somebody help me out here. All I said was that if the kid's problems were "academic", it didn't make sense that he was going to a private school with a rigorous entrance exam. I have several friends with kids in Liberty and they all say the exam ain't easy, and they won't waive it. I know of another football player from my area who is having trouble with it right now.

So,

I don't know anything about the "TASP", so my question is: If he can't pass the TASP, then can he pass an entrance exam? PS, I thought this was a discussion board, so tmac, get off of my butt.

whereugo
07-28-2005, 12:45 PM
Z Motion - I agree that students are graduating high school without knowing how to write (and read, too, unfortunately) ... If they are getting to college without having these skills ... and we know they are ... what good are the high school graduation tests at that point? Obviously, they still are not getting what they need - I think we need to back up and teach what needs to be taught and let college entrance exams take care of the rest - social promotions have not helped the children at all - they are getting thru without the skills they need to be successful in the work force and at an institution of higher learning. I think the academic deficiencies catch up to them in college - there's no way to mask it or make up excuses anymore - that needs to stop in the lower grade levels ... just my opinion. I just don't think testing on any level can measure whether or not someone is going to be successful in college.

Bandera YaYa
07-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Z Motion - I agree that students are graduating high school without knowing how to write (and read, too, unfortunately) ... If they are getting to college without having these skills ... and we know they are ... what good are the high school graduation tests at that point? Obviously, they still are not getting what they need - I think we need to back up and teach what needs to be taught and let college entrance exams take care of the rest - social promotions have not helped the children at all - they are getting thru without the skills they need to be successful in the work force and at an institution of higher learning. I think the academic deficiencies catch up to them in college - there's no way to mask it or make up excuses anymore - that needs to stop in the lower grade levels ... just my opinion. I just don't think testing on any level can measure whether or not someone is going to be successful in college. Gotta agree with ya on this one! :(

lepfan
07-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
As a college professor I can assure you that the remedial classes are needed. You should see some of the writing I get.

I am sure some of it looks like what I get at the 5th grade level.