PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys Triplets To Be Inducted Into Ring Of Honor

ILS1
07-20-2005, 08:53 PM
By Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
July 20, 2005, 1:31 PM (CDT)

IRVING, Texas - For 10 consecutive seasons, they were linked synonymously as the Cowboys enjoyed their most successful run in franchise history.

In any order, it was always Troy, Emmitt and Michael, not a last name required to identify any in this trio of superstars.

While the glory days might have passed for Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin, all retiring over the past five years, including Smith who just called it quits at this year's past Super Bowl, the Cowboys apparently have decided they will be linked together at least one more time.

In what should be an unprecedented move, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is expected to announce plans to induct three of the greatest players in franchise history simultaneously into the team's hallowed Ring of Honor during a game-to-be-announced this season. The trio not only becomes the 13th, 14th and 15th members of the exclusive group, but will be the first players sent to the Ring of Honor identified with the Jones Era, which began in 1989.

Jones will officially make the announcement at a 6 p.m. press conference Wednesday at the Stadium Club in Texas Stadium. He will also announce the game at which the induction takes place. It would seem likely Jones would pick one of the early-season home games against either Washington (Sept. 19), Philadelphia (Oct. 9) or the New York Giants (Oct. 16). With Aikman's obligations to Fox and Irvin's to ESPN, this will be a fine juggling act to get all three players at Texas Stadium at the same time.

But when Jones does, this will mean that, with last year's inductions of Rayfield Wright and Cliff Harris into the Ring of Honor, five former players will have been added to the Ring in the past two years. Only seven players, along with former head coach Tom Landry and former president Tex Schramm, resided in this exclusive club over the franchise's first 44 years.

Few would argue Jones could find three more deserving players who played for one team during one era than Aikman, Smith and Irvin.

Joining the Cowboys in three consecutive years as first-round draft choices (1988-90), "The Triplets" helped the Cowboys become the Team of the 90's, winning three Super Bowls in a four-year span (1992-95) and six NFC East titles in seven years.

Not only were the Triplets leading the way in the mid-90's for the Cowboys, but they are regarded not only as three of the greatest players in franchise history, but also as three of the greatest to ever play in the NFL.

Start with Smith, who finished his 15-year career as the NFL's all-time leading rusher with 18,355 career rushing yards. Smith broke Walter Payton's rushing record in 2002, which turned out to be his final season with the Cowboys. After being released the following off-season, Smith played his final two years with the Arizona Cardinals.

However at his retirement press conference this past February, Emmitt was accompanied at the podium by Jones, properly identifying himself with the Cowboys.

Smith, an eight-time Pro Bowler and former NFL (1993) and Super Bowl (XXVIII) MVP, signed a one-day contract with the Cowboys in the following weeks so he officially could retire with the team he helped turn into a dynasty.

Despite playing for the same franchise as running back greats such as Tony Dorsett, Herschel Walker and Don Perkins, Smith still owns nearly every Cowboys rushing record. And along with rushing for more yards than any other player in league history, Smith also finished his career with the most career rushing touchdowns (164) in the NFL.

If Smith wasn't the face of the Cowboys during their glory days of the 90's, then Aikman certainly was, having won more starts during the decade than any other NFL quarterback.

As the No. 1 overall draft pick in 1989, Aikman withstood a beating in his rookie season when the Cowboys finished a woeful 1-15. But the prized quarterback didn't suffer too many much, eventually becoming one of the league's most accurate passers. The MVP of Super Bowl XXVII, Aikman was nearly flawless dismantling the Buffalo defense, throwing for four touchdowns in what turned out to be the first of his three Super Bowl wins.

When he finally retired after the 2000 season, Aikman held Cowboys records for most completions (2,898), passing yards (32,942) and passing touchdowns (165). At the end of this 2005 season, Aikman will have served his mandatory five-year waiting period and becomes eligible for induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, all but certain to be a first-ballot selection.

While Aikman and Smith often shared the spotlight, Irvin arrived first on the scene (1988) and was often considered the "heart and soul" of the Cowboys during his 12-year career. And he wasn't too bad a player himself. Irvin rewrote the Cowboys record books, too, retiring after the 1999 season as the club's all-time leading receiver with 750 receptions for 11,904 yards.

A five-time Pro Bowl selection, Irvin did though create far too many off-field headlines, including serving a five-game suspension to start the 1996 season after pleading no-contest to a felony drug possession charge. But the flashy wide receiver overcame his problems to extend his career into the 1999 season, when he suffered what turned out to be a career-ending neck injury in Philadelphia. The injury revealed Irvin had a narrow spinal cord, creating a bigger risk for more permanent damage and resulted in his immediate retirement.

Throughout the decade of the 1990's, the Cowboys played only one game without all three players. That occurred in November of 1999. Irvin was out with the neck injury. Aikman sat after having suffered yet another concussion. Smith was idle nursing a broken hand. Still, the Cowboys managed to beat the Packers at home, 27-13.

While Irvin would never play again and Aikman did play one more season, both have remained in the NFL spotlight. Irvin serves as one of ESPN's top analysts on pre-game and post-game shows and Aikman has been working with Fox as a game analyst on its No. 1 crew, which included calling his first Super Bowl this past February.

And there would seem to be a good chance Emmitt will be joining them in the TV ranks as well now that he has retired.

In fact, Aikman and Irvin aren't the first players from that 90's era to land in the broadcaster booth. Before ending his retirement last year and returning to play in Baltimore, Deion Sanders was an analyst on CBS' pre-game show and former Cowboys fullback Daryl Johnston has worked on Fox's No. 2 team for the past five seasons.

But for now, one thing is certain about Emmitt's future: He's headed into the Ring of Honor. And he's going there with Troy and Michael.

And it shouldn't be any other way.

Triplets Inducted Into ROH (www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id=358633BE-9857-C2A9-0A29B28F98AEFB70)

lostaussie
07-20-2005, 09:02 PM
well, jerry finally got one right.

Gobbler Fan
07-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Just the way it should be :clap:

PhiI C
07-20-2005, 11:17 PM
I agree! All deserve it! In the future there must be room made for one other person for sure. The man who was the main one that got that team together and coached them to two straight super bowls and left the team in great enough shape to win another after he was gone. Jimmy Johnson.

Ranger05
07-21-2005, 07:16 AM
They deserve to go into the Ring of Honor together. They sure did make it exciting to watch the cowboys play

spiveyrat
07-21-2005, 08:03 AM
I was flipping through the channels yesterday and they were carrying it on the NFL channel. Man, when those guys were playing, those were the days...

AggieJohn
07-21-2005, 12:25 PM
pretty much the most dominant offense ever

Keith7
07-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
pretty much the most dominant offense ever

i dont know.. i think kurt warner's rams were more dominant

shellman54
07-21-2005, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't say the Rams were dominant. They were more of a flashier take-it-down-the-field-in-a-hurry offense. With the Cowboys, they could grind the ball down the field with Smith, go deep with Irvin, and Aikman would always find the shorter range pass plays when needed. Kinda like pick your poison.

ILS1
07-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
i dont know.. i think kurt warner's rams were more dominant

But Warner and the Rams were only dominant for just about 3 years and only won 1 Super Bowl. While the Triplets were consistent for about 10 years and have 3 Super Bowl rings to prove it!!!

:D :D

Phil C
07-21-2005, 03:50 PM
The Cowboy teams during Jimmy Johnson area were probably the best overall team ever and would have even got an extra super bowl or two had it mainly not been for the salary cap and Jerry should have kept Jimmy one more year. They had to pay those three and later Dion too but they were worth it but it did cost them some good offensive linemen and great defensive players like Russell Maryland and Ken Norton Jr. Even it hadn't been for the salary cap Dallas would have had an even bigger dynasty than maybe Green Bay and Pittsburgh and San Francisco.

lostaussie
07-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
The Cowboy teams during Jimmy Johnson area were probably the best overall team ever and would have even got an extra super bowl or two had it mainly not been for the salary cap and Jerry should have kept Jimmy one more year. They had to pay those three and later Dion too but they were worth it but it did cost them some good offensive linemen and great defensive players like Russell Maryland and Ken Norton Jr. Even it hadn't been for the salary cap Dallas would have had an even bigger dynasty than maybe Green Bay and Pittsburgh and San Francisco. can i get an AMEN

Phil C
07-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
can i get an AMEN

Thank you los. If Green Bay and those other teams had a salary cap I wonder if they would have had those overpowering dynasties. Of course the Patriots may be pulling it off and that is remarkable even those I expect other teams to start going after their free agents like they did Dallas. New York even signed one of Dallas second string offensive lineman for $5M (he didn't do as well at NY as he had done in Dallas heh heh!).

Bull's-eye
07-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Dallas came very close to winning 4 Super Bowls in a row. Jimmy Johnson staying 2 more years might have been all the difference that the Cowboys needed. Switzer didn't coach with alot of discipline or authority, or have the respect of the players like Jimmy. Coach Johnson was always trying to improve the team and was never quite satisfied. He would always tinker with his personnel, trying to find a player that could help in some way. He might add a player that excelled on special teams or find a great blocking TE for short yarded situations.

rockdale80
07-21-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
The Cowboy teams during Jimmy Johnson area were probably the best overall team ever and would have even got an extra super bowl or two had it mainly not been for the salary cap and Jerry should have kept Jimmy one more year. They had to pay those three and later Dion too but they were worth it but it did cost them some good offensive linemen and great defensive players like Russell Maryland and Ken Norton Jr. Even it hadn't been for the salary cap Dallas would have had an even bigger dynasty than maybe Green Bay and Pittsburgh and San Francisco.

Leon Lett when he was drug free...wait, was he ever drug free? Charles Haley, Harper, Williams, Navachek, and Moose were also amazing athletes. I know some don't agree, but that is the best team I have ever seen play.

LH Panther Mom
07-21-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Leon Lett when he was drug free...wait, was he ever drug free? Charles Haley, Harper, Williams, Navachek, and Moose were also amazing athletes. I know some don't agree, but that is the best team I have ever seen play.

Jay Novachek.... :kiss: :inlove: :inlove:

rockdale80
07-21-2005, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Jay Novachek.... :kiss: :inlove: :inlove:

Now I am jealous...:( :( :kiss:

LH Panther Mom
07-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Now I am jealous...:( :( :kiss:

Awwww...he can't even compare to you. ;)

rockdale80
07-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Awwww...he can't even compare to you. ;)

;)

sicem74
07-21-2005, 07:31 PM
i hate them boys go pack go

rockdale80
07-21-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by sicem74
i hate them boys go pack go

and they hate you....

lostaussie
07-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Jay Novachek.... :kiss: :inlove: :inlove: jay is doing some hunting shows now. i don't know what network, i watch so many. always was one of my favorites, although i can leave out the kiss,kiss part.

Leopards,class of 75
07-21-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
But Warner and the Rams were only dominant for just about 3 years and only won 1 Super Bowl. While the Triplets were consistent for about 10 years and have 3 Super Bowl rings to prove it!!! A very good point! The triplets were very good together and they did prove how good they were with 3 rings. I miss those days!!!!

:D :D