PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Fredericksburg area

dawgmom
07-20-2005, 01:32 AM
Hey all you folks in the Fredericksburg area, I will be visiting that area next month, 18-22. Anybody with suggestions on places to eat and perhaps where I can locate a game on Friday night? (19th). I will be visiting the 'Harvest Wine Trail'. Anyone with traveling suggestions or recommendations of places to see while I am there, or things to do besides wine tasting!

sicem74
07-20-2005, 01:36 AM
pretty cool sig!

pirate44
07-20-2005, 06:21 AM
if it was cooler, id say go hiking up enchanted rock. gorgeous view and not a difficult hike either. Ive done it in the summer, but i had to bring alot of water.

in Fredericksburg there is an Italian restaurant on one of the side roads off the main drag. I think its Pasta Bella, but im not positive. its a tiney place but the food is amazing and there is a great roasted garlic smell throughout the room. Prices are good too.

Fredericksburg Brewing Co. is also a nice place to eat. live entertainment and decent German food along with the usual American and some italian dishes.

Old Dog
07-20-2005, 08:07 AM
Me and the Mrs. have driven the 70 miles to Fred'burg just to eat at Mamacitas Mexican a time or two!

Bandera YaYa
07-20-2005, 10:06 AM
Well if you like to shop or just window shop, you will be very busy!!! Just strolling thru downtown is a treat itself.....There is an outdoor flea market thingy on the highway to Johnson City that will be going on that weekend, i think, and it's alot of fun if you like antiques and junk!! I really don't think you will have a chance to get bored.....you could take a side trip to Luchenbach....about 15-20 miles away....lots of musical history in that place....of course the best would be to stay for a dance there...well have fun and enjoy the Texas Hill Country!!! :D

Gobbla2001
07-20-2005, 12:20 PM
Just take a drive around the whole area, you'll find something you like... Lukenbach's not far from there...

footballgal
07-20-2005, 01:25 PM
We were in the area last week, and it's Peach season in and around the Fredricksburg area. Picked up a bushel of them, last week. Best Peaches I have ever tasted! Also picked up some peach preserves and something I had never tasted before, Peach Butter Ice cream, mmmm, very tasty.

And yes, downtown has that old market feel to it, very nice. Want a scenic route? take hwy 16, very, very very, nice! The great scenic drive started us, in Kerrville, all the way past Bandara and to Hondo. I had never been to Bandra, nice little town. But, what I thought was just totally awesome, was right outside Kerrville, taking route 16, all the whinding roads, having to drive down hill at only 10-15 mph, then we came upon this small, small community, so small it was just like a small neighborhood, we had to stop and take some pictures. There was a pond like, that went into a couple of big hills, then down into a small river or creek. That reminds me, I have to pick up those pictures. :)

Also had fun visiting Johnson City and seeing my hometown (Cotulla) mentioned, at the musem where President Johnson was a Teacher and principal.

Phil C
07-20-2005, 02:39 PM
Earl Holliman is from Fredericksburgh. He was born in Louisiana but lived most of his young life there. He acting in many movies and television roles. His most famous acting was in the 1956 movie The Rainmaker with Burt Landcaster and Katherine Hepburn which won him a golden globe award as well as best supporting actor nomination. His most famous tv acting was with Angie Dickinson in Police Woman. A distinguished actor indeed. In my opinion he should have won for the Rain Man but they gave it to Anthony Quinn for Lust for Life. Also many people thought Robert Stack should have got it for Written on the Wind. Earl was great in that movie though and really got into that part and should have won it. But that's Hollywood.

SintonFan
07-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Forget paying for food. Just go to Rustlin' Rob's Texas Gourmet Foods. You get to sample everything they sell. I always walk out of that place full but looking for the Rolaids...
Here's the website: Rustlin Robs (http://www.rustlinrobs.com/)

Bandera YaYa
07-20-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
Want a scenic route? take hwy 16, very, very very, nice! The great scenic drive started us, in Kerrville, all the way past Bandara and to Hondo. I had never been to Bandra, nice little town. But, what I thought was just totally awesome, was right outside Kerrville, taking route 16, all the whinding roads, having to drive down hill at only 10-15 mph, then we came upon this small, small community, so small it was just like a small neighborhood, we had to stop and take some pictures. There was a pond like, that went into a couple of big hills, then down into a small river or creek. That reminds me, I have to pick up those pictures. :)

Also had fun visiting Johnson City and seeing my hometown (Cotulla) mentioned, at the musem where President Johnson was a Teacher and principal. That small community would be MEDINA!!! You should have stopped and visited the Love Apple Store.....yumm...and had some apple ice cream.....it's wonderful.....they are having their annual apple festival this weekend/week there.....lots of good food, arts and crafts and music....Glad you enjoyed the Hill Country! :cool:

SPF25
07-20-2005, 04:51 PM
We havent been in a while. All the posts bring back some fun memories. Makes me wanna go too. :thinking:

footballgal
07-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
That small community would be MEDINA!!! You should have stopped and visited the Love Apple Store.....yumm...and had some apple ice cream.....it's wonderful.....they are having their annual apple festival this weekend/week there.....lots of good food, arts and crafts and music....Glad you enjoyed the Hill Country! :cool:

No, I remember passing Medina, and also the Medina River, which was close to Bandera. This place was like a strip of 10 houses or so, on one side of the street (hwy 16). It was about 10 miles or so out of Kerrville.

I wanted to go to Mountain Home, TX, but it was in the other direction, we needed to have taken a different route, to go through it, but maybe next year. I really did enjoy that drive through the hill country, it's a very beautiful area. I wouldn't mind living in a place like that. In January of 2003, when my aunt died, we drove to Amarillo and on the way back we went through Kerrville, but through Hwy 281 I think. I told my husband we have to come back here, on our vacation. I was really awed with all the hills, especially those houses on the hill in Kerrville. I thought Austin had hills, but this area, really is hill country, just like the Gardner state park area. So, I am glad that after our vacation, we were able to take this route to Cotulla then home. I told my hubby that next time, we would have to go to Marbel Falls, since we didn't go after we were in Johnson city. I think from Johnson City it was only like 23 miles.

That apple ice cream sounds interesting, something else I will need to try. But yeah, I really did enjoy the hill country and will be back again for sure! :)

Gobbla2001
07-20-2005, 08:35 PM
Every cruised by Canyon Lake, footballgal? Pretty neat around there as well, especially in between Startzville (sp?) and Smithson Valley...

dawgmom
07-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Thank you all so much for the suggestions! Now I really can't wait to go! I am SO excited! Is anyone in that area playing at home that Friday night? (Aug 19)? I have been without football long enough and it would be fun to go watch someone else's team! Thanks again for the info!

pirate4state
07-21-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by dawgmom
Thank you all so much for the suggestions! Now I really can't wait to go! I am SO excited! Is anyone in that area playing at home that Friday night? (Aug 19)? I have been without football long enough and it would be fun to go watch someone else's team! Thanks again for the info! Maybe some scrimmages. I thought Week Zero was Aug. 26th??

Bandera YaYa
07-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
No, I remember passing Medina, and also the Medina River, which was close to Bandera. This place was like a strip of 10 houses or so, on one side of the street (hwy 16). It was about 10 miles or so out of Kerrville.

I wanted to go to Mountain Home, TX, but it was in the other direction, we needed to have taken a different route, to go through it, but maybe next year. I really did enjoy that drive through the hill country, it's a very beautiful area. I wouldn't mind living in a place like that. In January of 2003, when my aunt died, we drove to Amarillo and on the way back we went through Kerrville, but through Hwy 281 I think. I told my husband we have to come back here, on our vacation. I was really awed with all the hills, especially those houses on the hill in Kerrville. I thought Austin had hills, but this area, really is hill country, just like the Gardner state park area. So, I am glad that after our vacation, we were able to take this route to Cotulla then home. I told my hubby that next time, we would have to go to Marbel Falls, since we didn't go after we were in Johnson city. I think from Johnson City it was only like 23 miles.

That apple ice cream sounds interesting, something else I will need to try. But yeah, I really did enjoy the hill country and will be back again for sure! :) You weren't talking about the Medina's Children's home...on the left side......after you go down the steep hill??? :thinking:

footballgal
07-22-2005, 04:24 PM
You know... that might be it.

West22
07-22-2005, 10:00 PM
There is a real good mexican resturant several miles out of town on the enchanted rock highway.It is easy to find .Is on the right side of the road .