PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP question!!!!

Ranger Mom
07-19-2005, 12:48 PM
On Windows 98 you were able to right click on my computer and go to properties. Once in properties you could click on the last tab (I believe it was System) and see what percentage of System Resources you were using.

Does anyone know where to do that on XP???

44INAROW
07-19-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
On Windows 98 you were able to right click on my computer and go to properties. Once in properties you could click on the last tab (I believe it was System) and see what percentage of System Resources you were using.

Does anyone know where to do that on XP???

omg you must have been reading my mind this morning.. I was trying to find the same thing.. I have been deleting pics and unused programs and was curious at to what I had available but was unable to find that "pink/blue pie shape"

AggieJohn
07-19-2005, 01:11 PM
maybe this helps

click on start, then go to my computer

where the icon is for the hard drive, single click on that

now on the left it should have a button on the left side bar that says details click on the arrow down

dutchman
07-19-2005, 01:21 PM
you can make windows xp work like 98

1. As AggieJohn said click on the Start button
2. On My Computer right click and then left click Show on Desktop - it will show a check mark to show it has been selected

This will add the My Computer icon to your desktop, instead of always having to go to the Start menu

Ranger Mom
07-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
maybe this helps

click on start, then go to my computer

where the icon is for the hard drive, single click on that

now on the left it should have a button on the left side bar that says details click on the arrow down

Thanks...but that's not what I am looking for. I don't need to know how much room I have left on my hard drive...I need to know what percentage of system resources I have.

The percentage drops with each program you run.

rockdale80
07-19-2005, 01:28 PM
control+alt+delete....then click the performance tab

pirate44
07-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
dont forget to hit the task manager button after the ctrl+alt+del

Ranger Mom
07-19-2005, 01:32 PM

BINGO!!!

Thanks J!!

big daddy russ
07-19-2005, 01:32 PM
It's still under "My Computer." Just go to the start tab, find the my computer tab and right click. You can then go down to properties and look up system resources.....

OR you may click on My Computer then look in the far top left under System Tasks. The first tab will say View system information.

As far as getting your HD info, it's been a little longer since I've looked that up. I have more problems with spyware putting startup programs on my computer than with HD space, but I'll look around for you RM. Maybe jason, Holmes_Fan or one of the "whizzes" could help you out.

44INAROW
07-19-2005, 01:33 PM
Thanks...but that's not what I am looking for. I don't need to know how much room I have left on my hard drive...I need to know what percentage of system resources I have.

The percentage drops with each program you run. I found the Pie Graph.. is that what you're talking about? anyway.. go to your C Drive and Right Click on the C Drive then Right Click on Properties.......... it showed it there...........

big daddy russ
07-19-2005, 01:33 PM
Sorry, got there a little late.

Ranger Mom
07-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Okay....the pie graph is not what I am looking for...I know how to get there.

On windows 98...you could right click on "my computer"....not the "C" drive.

When you right clicked and went to properties it brought up a system properties page....the last tab was performance.

Under the performance tab you saw: memory, system resources, fil sysytem, virtual memory, disc compression and PC cards. When my computer was bogging down I could go look there and notice that my system resources were down to 36% and knew that I needed to close some stuff out, de-frag, etc.

I thought Rockdale80 had nailed what I was looking for, but I'm not sure as that percentage seems to change alot.

I tried to find what the page looks like that I am looking for, but all I could find was the main system properties page......

http://www.csuchico.edu/usrv/images/win98.jpg

The performance tab is where I had to get the info on the system resources used that I am looking for!

Ranger Mom
07-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Okay...here is what I am looking for.

Is this the same thing as what Rockdale80 was talking about?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/images/archive/win95/support/images/trou16.gif

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Yes, you just look at performance, and look at the CPU usage. It will tell you your system resources. The percentage changes with the amount of programs that you are running.

dutchman
07-19-2005, 03:16 PM
RangerMom,

Found this on one of the Windows forum websites:

How do you view system resources in Windows XP? Windows Me had a resource meter. I can't find that in XP. The Help system did
not offer any help. Doesn't Microsoft have a resource meter for XP?
If so, where is it?

No, there is none, and that's good, not bad. The term "system
resources" referred to a particular data structure that existed
in Windows 9x/Me. It was a limiting factor because it was fixed
in size, and when it was all used, you crashed.

Windows XP is designed entirely differently and there is no such
structure. There's nothing to run out of and therefore nothing to
monitor.

That's one of XP's many improvements over 9X/Me. There are no
System Resources to run out of or to be concerned with.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User

View System Resources in Windows XP (http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=5630853#post5630853)

rockdale80
07-19-2005, 03:24 PM
Okay...here is what I am looking for.

Is this the same thing as what Rockdale80 was talking about?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/images/archive/win95/support/images/trou16.gif

I think I may not be sure what you are looking for. Are you looking to see how much memory you have left or what?

Ranger Mom
07-19-2005, 03:34 PM
I think I may not be sure what you are looking for. Are you looking to see how much memory you have left or what?

LOL!! Heck, I don't know!

In the above picture, what does "system resources" 88% free" show?

All I know is when my resources on my computer at home show low resources, I need to reboot, run msconfig, etc. to bring my resources up to a higher level.

LH Panther Mom
07-19-2005, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by pirate44
dont forget to hit the task manager button after the ctrl+alt+del

Sounds like this is what you're looking for RM. I've got XP and even without clicking on performance, the CPU usage percentage will be across the bottom. Mine said 8% just a moment ago.