by side on an airplane. The girl from Texas, being friendly
and all, said: "So, where y'all from?"
The New York girl said, "From a place where they know better
than to use a preposition at the end of a sentence."
The girl from Texas sat quietly for a few moments and then
replied: "So, where y'all from, b!tch?"

Ranger Mom
07-17-2005, 09:43 AM
LOL!! That's an oldie but always a goodie!!

Which brings up my gripe! That joke was not "made up" by a Texan......or do some Texans REALLY use "y'all" as "you"?

I never have...if I am talking to one person it would be, "where are you from?" To me, y'all is plural. But in the movie made in Hollywood, "Everybody's Baby" (The Jessica McClure Story)...they had us saying "y'all" the entire time where I would have said "you"!

Okay...I feel better now....how bout y'all..or you?http://www.crochetville.org/forum/images/smilies/blink.gif

BTEXDAD
07-17-2005, 10:18 AM
you is one person. What are you doing tonight?

Y'all is more than one but less than four. What are y'all doing tonight?

All y'all is more than three up to an infinite amount. What are all y'all doing tonight?

Ranger Mom
07-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
you is one person. What are you doing tonight?

Y'all is more than one but less than four. What are y'all doing tonight?

All y'all is more than three up to an infinite amount. What are all y'all doing tonight?

I don't think "all you all" sounds right.....I never heard of there being a number limit on "y'all"

Here is something intersting I just found:

you-all (yôl) also y'all (yôl)
pron. Chiefly Southern U.S.
You. Used in addressing two or more people or referring to two or more people, one of whom is addressed.
Regional Note: The single most famous feature of Southern United States dialects is the pronoun y'all, sometimes heard in its variant you-all. You-all functions with perfect grammatical regularity as a second person plural pronoun, taking its own possessive you-all's (or less frequently, your-all's, where both parts of the word are inflected for possession): You-all's voices sound alike. Southerners do not, as is sometimes believed, use you-all or y'all for both singular and plural you. A single person may only be addressed as you-all if the speaker implies in the reference other persons not present: Did you-all [you and others] have dinner yet? You and you-all preserve the singular/plural distinction that English used to have in thou and ye, the subject forms of singular and plural you, respectively (thee and you were the singular and plural object forms). The distinction between singular thou/thee and plural ye/you began to blur as early as the 13th century, when the plural form was often used for the singular in formal contexts or to indicate politeness, much as the French use tu for singular and familiar "you," and vous for both plural and polite singular "you." In English, the object form you gradually came to be used in subject position as well, so that the four forms thou, thee, ye, and you collapsed into one form, you. Thou and thee were quite rare in educated speech in the 16th century, and they disappeared completely from standard English in the 18th. However, the distinction between singular and plural you is just as useful as that between other singular and plural pronoun forms, such as I and we. In addition to y'all, other forms for plural you include you-uns, youse, and you guys or youse guys. Youse is common in vernacular varieties in the Northeast, particularly in large cities such as New York and Boston, and is also common in Irish English. You-uns is found in western Pennsylvania and in the Appalachians and probably reflects the Scotch-Irish roots of many European settlers to these regions. You guys and youse guys appear to be newer innovations than the other dialectal forms of plural you.

BTEXDAD
07-17-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I don't think "all you all" sounds right.....I never heard of there being a number limit on "y'all"

I think I got the all y'all thing from Jeff Foxworthy, Mom.

Thanks for the descriptive info. I knew you were correct about y'all being plural, though.

Talk at you later.
Y'all have a good day now, hear?

HighSchool Fan
07-17-2005, 10:33 AM
why do y'all or all of you or you all want to turn my joke into an english lesson

Ranger Mom
07-17-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
why do y'all or all of you or you all want to turn my joke into an english lesson

I'm sorry!!:(

But everytime I have read that joke it just bugged the hell out of me!

So I thought I would vent among friends!:D

BTEXDAD
07-17-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
I was just trying to flirt with Ranger Mom, Fan.
I was going to tell her I was a pittsburgh steeler QB, but I didn't think that would work.

Your joke was decent by the way.

Ranger Mom
07-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
I was just trying to flirt with Ranger Mom, Fan.
I was going to tell her I was a pittsburgh steeler QB, but I didn't think that would work.

Your joke was decent by the way.

LOL...nope, it wouldn't have worked....I don't even LIKE Pittsburgh!!:cool: