PDA

View Full Version : my first serious post......

AggieJohn
07-17-2005, 12:15 AM
i've never thought of myself as racist, nor do i ever want to be considered or called one

however, i had a gripping thought and i wanted the DL's opinion

here's the story, me and my gal were working for the city in a certain department for the summer, however she just graduated from a&m with a degree in that area, so she was hoping to get on by applying. well she's been shot down several times and she was even demoted for something bogus.....

the lord provided a different job that both of us could apply, jump on and do very well, she's already been promoted in pay in that job. however she doesn't want to remain there forever, which i don't blame her....so heres where the original point of my topic comes

how do i overcome looking at all the people who are the fulltime employees of this department being of one race that we aren't and seeing that they aren't as qualified per resume as she is and she isn't getting that job....i can not recall even ONE person outside of that race in that department.....

what do yall think, am i victim of something, am i sympathetic towards my own race, do i have embedded racism in me.....it's something that's kind of rocked my soul lately in thinking....

NOTE: in order to make sure this thread doesn't go south(no pun intended) PM me if you think you have anything that's not board worthy. i've checked over this post several times to make sure i'm not stepping on anyones toes by calling out some particular race

big daddy russ
07-17-2005, 12:35 AM
If it smells like a dog, feels like a dog, barks like a dog and looks like a dog then chances are it's a dog.

I'm not in the middle of the situation so I can't tell you whether or not you're looking at it with some sort of bias, but I'm sure you've put a lot of thought into it if you're posting it on the board.

Hupernikomen
07-17-2005, 12:48 AM
If shes never had experience then I don't see how her resume can be all that great. Sometimes you just got to keep trying until you get your foot in the door. Lot of companies is not about what degree you have but who you know. Curious as to what kind of work this is..

AggieJohn
07-17-2005, 12:49 AM
well i don't want it too have even a hint of racism in me, but me getting mad at the situation makes me wonder

HighSchool Fan
07-17-2005, 06:04 AM
first off, a degree doesn't guarantee anything. just becuase she has a degree in a certain field doesn't mean she's the most qualified. a degree doesn't show your work history. how many of the other applicants for the job have experience in that field? how many companies would take experience over someone fresh out of college? there's a think called climbing the company ladder. do your job, and do it well and the promotions will come.

BTW, you are a victim of something. the victim of thinking that since someone has a degree that they are automatically more qualified than someone who doesn't.

3afan
07-17-2005, 09:03 AM
i learned more my first 6 months on the job than i did the entire 4.5 years it took getting my CS degree ..... the schools still dont do a god job teaching "real world" skills (i.e., requiring COBOL ???)

Rabbit'93
07-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
i learned more my first 6 months on the job than i did the entire 4.5 years it took getting my CS degree ..... the schools still dont do a god job teaching "real world" skills (i.e., requiring COBOL ???)
3afan you hit the nail on the head. Our schools do a very poor job of teaching what actually goes on in the world. They teach by "what should happen" in the business world.

To AJ:
To suggest that your GF is more qualified because she has a degree does not make you a racist. I would lean more towards shallow. I do think you are using race as justification as to why your GF is not advancing. As management in my company I see new people come in and expect certain things because their resume has a bigger school on it. When in truth I would hire experience over education anyday.
The other thing I had a question about was this. If your GF does not intend on staying at this job, why all the fuss in the first place. If this job is a stepping stone to bigger and better things, then use this as a learning experience.

AggieJohn
07-17-2005, 10:20 AM
maybe i should expand a little further, we were working for the parks and rec department for the summer latchkey program, and she had worked for them before during the school year before. she knows that a degree is not handed to her with her diploma, however, i know that she has the experience to beat out many of the top dogs in that department alone, but she not applying for that, she's applying for a peon spot in the dept. to work herself up

and as far as experience in the field of park and rec and kids, trust me this gal has experience......5 plus summers as a counselor with little kids including a summer in leadership...as well as many various after school jobs education and recreation jobs with kids in corpus and college station....trust me for someone who requires experience in her field and specifically for what she's tried to apply for, she's QUALIFIED...

Gobbla2001
07-17-2005, 10:58 AM
I was told once that I was the 'only certified person who applied for the position'...

I know it doesn't mean I have any more 'on the job' experience as the other people... but the fact is, I went to school I felt it was the right thing to do...

Did I get the job? no....

AJ, I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with them not liking white folk (you've posted your picture, you're white I'm sure of it), the fact is that the equal oppurtunity deal that every company/whatever is under these days literally scares the crap out of them, they do not want to get sued, so they go the 'non-legal complications' route... It's a sad thing, but I guess we have to deal with it...

AggieJohn
07-17-2005, 12:21 PM
well why is it i look at the whole department and don't see one member of that department a different race other than just that one

HighSchool Fan
07-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
well why is it i look at the whole department and don't see one member of that department a different race other than just that one

maybe the others are just more qualified. being white doesn't make someone more qualified.

Rabbit'93
07-17-2005, 12:39 PM
maybe i should expand a little further, we were working for the parks and rec department for the summer latchkey program, and she had worked for them before during the school year before. she knows that a degree is not handed to her with her diploma, however, i know that she has the experience to beat out many of the top dogs in that department alone, but she not applying for that, she's applying for a peon spot in the dept. to work herself up

and as far as experience in the field of park and rec and kids, trust me this gal has experience......5 plus summers as a counselor with little kids including a summer in leadership...as well as many various after school jobs education and recreation jobs with kids in corpus and college station....trust me for someone who requires experience in her field and specifically for what she's tried to apply for, she's QUALIFIED... Ok maybe I'm confused. She's applying for an entry level position, but you're upset that she's not being given--what---management, supervisor, lead? It almost sounds, IMO, that you feel she's "too good" to be in an entry level position. I may be totally wrong though. You can't expect to land a gold mine your first job. Unless you know someone without ethics, you will probably have to work your way up in the company.

AggieJohn
07-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
maybe the others are just more qualified. being white doesn't make someone more qualified.

ONCE again let me reiterate i never intend for any of my posts to be construed as racist....

however, i'm not saying because i'm white or becuase she's white that she's more qualified, however i do know that i have talked to many personally about their qualifications before they were hired, and she met those qualifications and more....and this is for the peon jobs within the department

i just don't understand if someplace is going to claim EOE, they need to be demonstrating it....

it sucks to think that you can't get a job in the area you have degree in because you "might" be being blocked from it because of your race....especially in your home town

Gobbla2001
07-17-2005, 12:40 PM
We have the problem at my work...

It's owned by an Asian guy and ran by mostly Asian guys... no doubt there are White/Brown/Black/Red/Blue folk that are more qualified, they just tend to trust themselves more than anyone else...

AggieJohn
07-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Ok maybe I'm confused. She's applying for an entry level position, but you're upset that she's not being given--what---management, supervisor, lead? It almost sounds, IMO, that you feel she's "too good" to be in an entry level position. I may be totally wrong though. You can't expect to land a gold mine your first job. Unless you know someone without ethics, you will probably have to work your way up in the company.
no rabbit she wants an entry level position, she knows that she will have to work her way up, however it seems to me, that she can't even get her foot in the door during the application period because she doesn't have a certain last name....it's frustrating to me....reverse discrimination....that's about the best way i can describe it...

i just wouldn't think a city department could get away with that....

AggieJohn
07-17-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
We have the problem at my work...

It's owned by an Asian guy and ran by mostly Asian guys... no doubt there are White/Brown/Black/Red/Blue folk that are more qualified, they just tend to trust themselves more than anyone else...
so you understand where my frustration is......

i mean if a black/brown/yellow/red/purple person came in the door during the application period and was more qualified than me i would EXPECT for them to get hired over me, not me get hired because i fit their racial color

Gobbla2001
07-17-2005, 12:46 PM
I may be totally wrong though. .

From what I've read, you are...

from what I can pick up, he's saying she has the qualifications and experience to do better than entry-level, but can't even get an entry-level position... meaning he doesn't expect her to skip entry-level, but to ATLEAST get the entry-level position...

atleast that's what these two balls embedded in my face told my brain...

AggieJohn
07-17-2005, 12:48 PM
From what I've read, you are...

from what I can pick up, he's saying she has the qualifications and experience to do better than entry-level, but can't even get an entry-level position... meaning he doesn't expect her to skip entry-level, but to ATLEAST get the entry-level position...

Yes exactly!

atleast that's what these two balls embedded in my face told my brain... [/B]

that's the coolest way i've ever heard the word eyes said

AggieJohn
07-17-2005, 12:53 PM
and to the MODS if this goes bad, please delete it as promptly as you can

LH Panther Mom
07-17-2005, 12:58 PM
and to the MODS if this goes bad, please delete it as promptly as you can

I believe you know we will...if it gets there. ;)

BHBrave08
07-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Hummm... http://www.gcn.ie/newgcn/forum/smileys/sm/new/scratchchin.gif Interesting... :thinking:

AggieJohn
07-17-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I believe you know we will...if it gets there. ;)

i know i just don't want you to think i'm trying to make it go there, i'm really aiming to get just some opinions from this

BHBrave08
07-17-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm going to say that it is a pure case of racism. Simply you are a racist............ But it's ok. You are just joining the rest of the state now.

lol. jk. about all of it.

BHBrave08
07-17-2005, 01:30 PM
My real opinion is that everyone in the world is a little racist at one time or another no matter who they are or where they are from. In your case it is a matter of opinion. I am not sure if you are being racist or not so I will not choose but that is just what I think.

Rabbit'93
07-17-2005, 01:48 PM
So basically it's the good 'ol boy system at it's finest. AJ you will find it at every job you will ever have in one fashion or another. It stinks but it happens. The way I see it, your GF has two options. She can either get some kind of legal councel or try to find a different place to work. If it's her dream and it's what she's good at I don't know that I would want to work there anyway. I would find another option. Tell her good luck.

LH Panther Mom
07-17-2005, 01:53 PM
i'm really aiming to get just some opinions from this

I had to think about this awhile since I first read your post last night, but I'm offering mine.

I spent a number of years interviewing & hiring. I don't know with complete certainty that she's not experiencing reverse discrimination. There's really no way to tell without a lengthy history of the city hirings in that dept.

From experience, I do know that there are many candidates that look good on paper, but don't interview well. I'm not saying that is the case here, but I have been overjoyed with qualifications on a resume, to find out in the interview that I'd be shooting myself in the foot to hire a particular person. Other times, I've had a great feel for the person during the interview, when on paper they were less qualified.

Many times, it may be a case of "how well will this person fit in with the rest of the group". This may sound sexist, but trust me - when you work in an office full of women in close proximity to each other, personalities and "things in common" play a huge role in decisions. I've had an employee who everyone else felt like she had made it her goal to make everyone miserable on a daily basis. She did a fine job at it, too. ;)

Lastly, "who you know" can be an important factor. As much as I'd like to say it doesn't happen, I know for a fact that office "politics" comes into play. I always avoided hiring based on that, preferring to hire based on who I felt fit in with the other personalities & who would do the best job based on qualifications & interview combined.

AggieJohn
07-17-2005, 04:41 PM
If it's her dream and it's what she's good at I don't know that I would want to work there anyway. I would find another option. Tell her good luck.

that's what we are doing, we jumped their ship about 3 weeks ago and haven't looked back until i brought up this thread...but i do like a lot of yalls opinions, with the exception of being called shallow and all

District303aPastPlayer
07-17-2005, 07:27 PM
my take on this is as follows....

you say that race has a lot to do with it... look at the city you are now residing in. it is almost 3/4 percent non-caucasian....

AggieJohn
07-17-2005, 07:32 PM
i don't know, maybe i'm thinking that i 40 years later after civil rights movement that we would be over all this

Bandera YaYa
07-17-2005, 07:43 PM
i don't know, maybe i'm thinking that i 40 years later after civil rights movement that we would be over all this Welcome to the real world....... :rolleyes:

AggieJohn
07-17-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Welcome to the real world....... :rolleyes:

you know what i'm not even going to fight that.....i'm just going to let you appear as it appears

HighSchool Fan
07-17-2005, 08:05 PM

EXACTLY

Gobbla2001
07-17-2005, 08:58 PM

No doubt, the real world stinks... and it is NOT fair...

However, if it 'can' be made fair, it 'should' be, ya know?

girlygal
07-18-2005, 09:26 AM
These things happen and there is not much you can do about it, just move on and forget about it.

People have been dealing with this for years, and now you are getting a taste of it.......

I have worked for city and county gov. for a good while, and you will see several offices are filled with certain races, it's not right but just the way things are, you either accept it or move on. As much as people say EOE, it does not happen!

Bandera YaYa
07-18-2005, 09:36 AM
No doubt, the real world stinks... and it is NOT fair...

However, if it 'can' be made fair, it 'should' be, ya know? Oh i agreee 100% with ya, I wish all the children in the world had enough to eat every day, and that we all loved one another and took care of one another, but that just doesn't happen.. It's a disease, for sure. :(

pirate4state
07-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
my take on this is as follows....

you say that race has a lot to do with it... look at the city you are now residing in. it is almost 3/4 percent non-caucasian.... so with that being said... i am going to offer this... i just got denied from a job... and i was a greatly qualified applicant in mine and my mothers bosses opinion... but there was one thing wrong, the office I applied to is all female... sorry to hear you didn't get the position, but I believe there is one male that works in that office. :thinking:

District303aPastPlayer
07-18-2005, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
sorry to hear you didn't get the position, but I believe there is one male that works in that office. :thinking:

you know what, you are right, lol, he totally slipped my mind...

pirate4state
07-18-2005, 10:09 AM
you know what, you are right, lol, he totally slipped my mind... well just think if you had gotten the position you wouldn't be on here as much anymore. :D

oh, wait ... :doh: ;) :p J/K :D

District303aPastPlayer
07-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
well just think if you had gotten the position you wouldn't be on here as much anymore. :D

oh, wait ... :doh: ;) :p J/K :D

i do want another job... one that pays more... so if anyone knows anything anywhere near me... let me know :)

pirate44
07-18-2005, 10:21 AM
you know what, you are right, lol, he totally slipped my mind...
hang in there. someday Avon will diversify its employees. :D

Bandera YaYa
07-18-2005, 10:22 AM
i do want another job... one that pays more... so if anyone knows anything anywhere near me... let me know :) Well you didn't really WANT to work in an office of just women, did you?? I would think that would just be pure hell for a lone guy.......... :D

Phantom Stang
07-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Well you didn't really WANT to work in an office of just women, did you?? I would think that would just be pure hell for a lone guy.......... :D
hmmm....:thinking: That would depend...:devil: :D

KTJ
07-19-2005, 10:54 AM
I thought all Aggies were racist? Isn't that a requirement to be an Aggie? :D

That was a joke.

I would write a seriously reply, but I dunno if some of you would be able to handle it.

Bandera YaYa
07-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
That was a joke.

I would write a seriously reply, but I dunno if some of you would be able to handle it. I wanna hear it!!!! :D

AggieJohn
07-19-2005, 11:51 AM
then pm it too me

KTJ
07-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Actually, I would have taken a little bit of what everyone has said and that makes my answer.

But to say that they didn't hire you because you're white (which I'm assuming you are white) is a bit absurd. You don't know why you or your girlfriend or whoever wasn't hired. But if the first reason you suspect is because of racial issues, then that's a problem you need to address with yourself.

And yes, everyone is racist to an extent. Just like everyone is gay to an extent. It just depends on what level you are on.

HighSchool Fan
07-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Just like everyone is gay to an extent. It just depends on what level you are on.

what in the hell are they teaching in austin these days, or have you already hit the bottle today.

KTJ
07-19-2005, 02:27 PM
what in the hell are they teaching in austin these days, or have you already hit the bottle today.

We learned that in Human Sexuality class. It was really interesting. I'll have to do my "Did you know this about Sexuality" thread someday.

:D

HighSchool Fan
07-19-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
We learned that in Human Sexuality class. It was really interesting. I'll have to do my "Did you know this about Sexuality" thread someday.

from what i can tell, and no offense to you, but you wasted your money

KTJ
07-19-2005, 02:53 PM
from what i can tell, and no offense to you, but you wasted your money

Seriously, it was an awesome class. Our prof was a psychiatrist so it made it even more interesting. How did I waste my money?

And I got an A.

HighSchool Fan
07-19-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Seriously, it was an awesome class. Our prof was a psychiatrist so it made it even more interesting. How did I waste my money?

And I got an A.

sounds as if you prof. needs to see a psychiatrist.

LH Panther Mom
07-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

Note to self: Make sure this isn't a requirement for ChemEng. I just finished living through his semester reading "Fast Food Nation" for American History. That was enough to make me pull my hair out. I'm fairly certain that one of us wouldn't make it though this class. :devil:

AggieJohn
07-20-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Just like everyone is gay to an extent.
i'm always happy for your information, but i wonder if racial issues played a part, not suspect that it did

pirate44
07-20-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Actually, I would have taken a little bit of what everyone has said and that makes my answer.

But to say that they didn't hire you because you're white (which I'm assuming you are white) is a bit absurd. You don't know why you or your girlfriend or whoever wasn't hired. But if the first reason you suspect is because of racial issues, then that's a problem you need to address with yourself.

And yes, everyone is racist to an extent. Just like everyone is gay to an extent. It just depends on what level you are on.
that's just asinine. is everyone also not-racist to an extent and not-gay to an extent? :rolleyes:

AggieJohn
07-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
that's just asinine. is everyone also not-racist to an extent and not-gay to an extent? :rolleyes:
i was going to say that's the austin in you, but then i thought i might get in trouble with that because of my aggie connections....but i'm glad someone see's my view, i know that i'm not 1% gay at all......this man is all heterosexual
http://tinypic.com/96m2hc.jpg

KTJ
07-20-2005, 02:23 PM

How is that asinine?

And how is that the "Austin in me"?

pirate44
07-20-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
How is that asinine?

And how is that the "Austin in me"?
im not sure about the austin comment, but the asinine comment is from 33 years of living and knowing myself. for you to say "All" implies everyone on earth. nobody has interviewed me on the subject.

spiveyrat
07-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

That wasn't in my Human Sexuality class! :eek: Sounds a little like there might be a hidden agenda somewhere in that statement to me.

KTJ
07-20-2005, 03:19 PM
im not sure about the austin comment, but the asinine comment is from 33 years of living and knowing myself. for you to say "All" implies everyone on earth. nobody has interviewed me on the subject.

No need to get offended.

There are studies out there that prove this fact. (My notes are in a storage shed somewhere.) If the scale was numeric, say 1-10, then you'd be a 1; whereas, those who are comfortable with themselves, know for a fact that they are gay, and whose dna function in such a way that they are attracted to the same sex would be a 8, 9, or 10. It's really simple. It's a scale and you just so happen to be on the opposite end as a gay person. Even the most right-wing kids in class understood this.

Sounds a little like there might be a hidden agenda somewhere in that statement to me.

There's no hidden agenda. Why would there be?

i was going to say that's the austin in you, but then i thought i might get in trouble with that because of my aggie connections

You still fail to explain what this means.

spiveyrat
07-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

There's no hidden agenda. Why would there be?

I wasn't implying that you had a hidden agenda. I was implying that your professor, the book publisher, or both may have. If they can get someone to buy their theory that everyone is a "degree of gay", they may helping to push a "gay agenda". Think about it... If you think something is a part of you, then you are less likely to put it in a negative light because then you would be putting yourself in a negative light.

KTJ
07-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
I wasn't implying that you had a hidden agenda. I was implying that your professor, the book publisher, or both may have. If they can get someone to buy their theory that everyone is a "degree of gay", they may helping to push a "gay agenda". Think about it... If you think something is a part of you, then you are less likely to put it in a negative light because then you would be putting yourself in a negative light.

LOL. Push a gay agenda?

I don't think that's the case. I think coming into the class, all 300 of us had our own view about gays. Some hated them, some in the class didn't care, and others were gay. But after studying that section for a week, we took another poll on how we felt about gays. The professor and our book didn't push anything. We had open discussions all the time (in a 300 person class) about what we thought and how we felt. It let everyone get their thoughts out and open their mind.

But I guess opening your mind is a bit too much for some people these days. They will always have their beliefs. Just like he believe that he didn't get the job because of racism.

JasperDog94
07-20-2005, 06:09 PM
I wasn't implying that you had a hidden agenda. I was implying that your professor, the book publisher, or both may have. If they can get someone to buy their theory that everyone is a "degree of gay", they may helping to push a "gay agenda". Think about it... If you think something is a part of you, then you are less likely to put it in a negative light because then you would be putting yourself in a negative light. Gotta agree with ya here. I don't trust any "science" that can just up and change the rules to fit society. Case in point: A close friend of mine took a psychology class that had to edit the definition of "homosexuality" from a "deviant behavior" to an "alternative lifestyle".

What changed?

Answer: society.

This sounds to me like someone is pushing an agenda. I wasn't there and you were, so you'd know better than me, but I don't trust most college professors to not spin things to their line of thinking.

(Sorry if this is getting off topic.)

JasperDog94
07-20-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
after studying that section for a week, we took another poll on how we felt about gays. Did the poll have different rusults afterwards?

AggieJohn
07-21-2005, 01:22 AM
KTJ,

the aggie connections post is reflecting something the moderators warned me on

THAT BEING SAID, there is not a single bit of me thats gay, not 1%, i am a 100% in love with girls...there is no way i'm even a 1 if your putting someone on that scale

It's a scale and you just so happen to be on the opposite end as a gay person. Even the most right-wing kids in class understood this.
TRUST ME, there is a difference between right wing kids in austin and right wing kids in college station...i'm not getting political here at all...my best friend in austin is a hard-nose r.w. and we talk about it, and he'll confer to that statement

austin in me
there's some liberty in me, there's some college station in me

it's about where your from, it shapes who you are

KTJ
07-21-2005, 01:32 AM
Apparently, my argument and example to further explain said argument is getting misconstrued, which is leading to us talking about a whole different topic. So, like everything else I post on this thing, it would be wise if people just ignored it and forgot it.

it's about where your from, it shapes who you are

I'm not from Austin.

And judging from that example, I would provide yet another argument but it would probably get thrown out of context as well.

AggieJohn
07-21-2005, 01:47 AM
nah, ktj, i understand you...i'm not arguing, just saying we should realize where we come from sometimes, and where we live, and that it shapes our thinking...

KTJ
08-01-2005, 02:06 PM
For some reason, I was thinking about this.

Where I'm from doesn't shape the way I am. If anything, it makes me become more open-minded and realize that Gainesville isn't the mecca of society. If being where you from shapes who YOU are, then that would mean that you are some east Texas redneck who loathes black people. But I don't think that's who you are. Does being from Gainesville mean something to me? Of course it does. But if I let the mentality of being a Gainesville-ite shape the way I think, then I'm not thinking very hard at all.

Just fyi...

slpybear the bullfan
08-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Well, congrats on a very adult and interesting topic, AJ. Such a pleasant change from the other threads I read today, (The ones where a few folks are saying "I am SOO MUCH smarter than all of you other posters because I can insult others like a good 6th grader. WORSHIP ME!")

As you are finding out, Life is so much more different than it looks at first glance.

slpybear

PS - It is interesting to hear how enlightend college professors make us. And even more interesting to hear how we feel about it 10 years later.

AggieJohn
08-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Well, congrats on a very adult and interesting topic, AJ.
can i use that as my sig

slpybear the bullfan
08-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Knock yourself out.

pirate44
08-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Knock yourself out.
we better lay off the threats. the heat is still on. ;)

slpybear the bullfan
08-01-2005, 10:43 PM
LOL... heck, at least a quote from me would be better than the THX thing... I am too old to get that.

spiveyrat
08-02-2005, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
For some reason, I was thinking about this.

Where I'm from doesn't shape the way I am. If anything, it makes me become more open-minded and realize that Gainesville isn't the mecca of society. If being where you from shapes who YOU are, then that would mean that you are some east Texas redneck who loathes black people. But I don't think that's who you are. Does being from Gainesville mean something to me? Of course it does. But if I let the mentality of being a Gainesville-ite shape the way I think, then I'm not thinking very hard at all.

Just fyi...

Last night I was thinking about this too... You don't think where you're from shapes the person you are? How about the way you speak? I'll bet you speak with a little (or a lot) of a southern drawl. And if you think you don't, ask a yankee. :D ;)

HighSchool Fan
08-02-2005, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
But if I let the mentality of being a Gainesville-ite shape the way I think, then I'm not thinking very hard at all.

are you saying that people from gainesville don't think very hard?? :p

KTJ
08-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Last night I was thinking about this too... You don't think where you're from shapes the person you are? How about the way you speak? I'll bet you speak with a little (or a lot) of a southern drawl. And if you think you don't, ask a yankee. :D ;)

Actually, I don't have a southern accent. When I travel to various places all over, people always ask me how come I don't "talk like a Texan." I dunno why. I'm from here, I'm proud to be a Texan but I don't have an accent. (teeheee!)

Now my friends from Mississippi....they have accents.

KTJ
08-02-2005, 11:06 AM
are you saying that people from gainesville don't think very hard?? :p

No. I'm saying that the majority of people in Gainesville think small and aren't very openminded. But that's typical of any small town.

The people in Muesnter are the ones who don't think very hard. :D

I may be in Gaines-Vegas this weekend. I'm not sure yet.

AggieJohn
08-02-2005, 11:11 AM
no you have an accent, your friends from mississippi, well that's just another language

HighSchool Fan
08-02-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
No. I'm saying that the majority of people in Gainesville think small and aren't very openminded. But that's typical of any small town.

The people in Muesnter are the ones who don't think very hard. :D

I may be in Gaines-Vegas this weekend. I'm not sure yet.

if you do, stop by the big city of valley view on the way, i'll be here all weekend, working hard, something LHPM and P4S have a hard time doing :p :kiss: :D

spiveyrat
08-02-2005, 12:53 PM
if you do, stop by the big city of valley view on the way, i'll be here all weekend, working hard, something LHPM and P4S have a hard time doing :p :kiss: :D

:eek:

LH Panther Mom
08-02-2005, 01:33 PM

http://www.smilieland.com/graphics2/gesicht8.gif