PDA

View Full Version : Early Jerk of the Year Canidate

HighSchool Fan
07-16-2005, 12:45 PM
Police: Coach Told Player to Injure Disabled Teammate, 8
Friday, July 15, 2005

PITTSBURGH — A youth baseball coach paid one of his players to hurt an 8-year-old mentally disabled teammate so the boy wouldn't be able to play in a game, state police said Friday.

Mark R. Downs Jr., 27, of Dunbar, offered one of his players $25 to hit the boy in the head with a baseball, police said. Witnesses told police Downs didn't want the boy to play in the T-ball game because of his disability.

The solicited player hit the boy in the head and in the groin with a baseball just before a game, and the disabled boy didn't play, police said.

Downs, who is a coach with the R.W. Clark Youth Baseball League, had an unpublished telephone number and could not immediately be reached for comment Friday. It was unclear whether he had an attorney.

The assault happened June 27 at the R.W. Clark baseball field in North Union Township, Fayette County, about 40 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.

The 8-year-old's mother asked the state police to investigate her son's injuries because she suspected Downs wanted to keep the boy off the field, despite a league rule that required each player to participate in three innings a game, said state police Trooper Thomas B. Broadwater.

"The coach was very competitive. He wanted to win," Broadwater said.

Downs was arrested and arraigned Friday on charges of criminal solicitation to commit aggravated assault, corruption of minors, criminal conspiracy to commit simple assault and recklessly endangering another person. He was released from jail on an unsecured bond.

Eric Forsythe, the president of the R.W. Clark Youth Baseball League, said league organizers investigated accusations against Downs before the T-ball season ended earlier this month, but could not prove that he did anything wrong.

If Downs is convicted of any crime, he won't be allowed to be a coach next year, Forsythe said.

Downs had two daughters on the T-ball team, Forsythe said.

The league isn't affiliated with Little League International.

Rabbit'93
07-16-2005, 01:13 PM
Holy crap....IT'S T BALL FOR PETE'S SAKE. I think they should put the disabled kids father on the pitcher's mound and let'em fire fastballs at the coach. What a jerk.

pirate4state
07-16-2005, 02:03 PM
shaking my head :confused: :hand: :flamingma :foul:

Bulldog_12
07-16-2005, 02:09 PM
What an A-hole. As a brother of a mentally disabled boy, this is as low as it gets for me. This is absolutely disgusting and horrifying that a coach would endanger a child just to win T-ball. I hope he is convicted and punished to the FULL extent of the law. What a dirtbag.

LHMom
07-16-2005, 02:14 PM
It is sad that a person could truly be that mean.

GreenMonster
07-16-2005, 02:20 PM
I cannot comment, I don't want to get ROM'd over this.:flamingma

Gobbla2001
07-16-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I cannot comment, I don't want to get ROM'd over this.:flamingma

This is really horrible...

And will you get TO'd at me already for my comments on the top 25 thread, I've been waiting for quite some time now :D

injuredinmelee
07-16-2005, 05:01 PM
I will break this guys next for the cheap thrill

HighSchool Fan
07-16-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I will break this guys next for the cheap thrill

how about breaking his neck also :p

Old Tiger
07-16-2005, 05:29 PM
I thought this was gonna say Aggie John

HighSchool Fan
07-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR

greatness :clap: :clap:

Hupernikomen
07-16-2005, 05:47 PM
very sad

AggieJohn
07-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
touche'

District303aPastPlayer
07-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
touche'

he aint the only one that thought that, lol

AggieJohn
07-16-2005, 07:37 PM
dang, i didn't know of such a negative outlook

BHBrave08
07-16-2005, 07:48 PM
http://www.gcn.ie/newgcn/forum/smileys/sm/yell.gif http://www.gcn.ie/newgcn/forum/smileys/sm/furious.gif http://perso.wanadoo.fr/atil/forum/chauffe.gif What the Hell is wrong with people today? :mad: :flamingma :foul:

Z motion 10 out on 2
07-16-2005, 07:50 PM
Contrast this story with the one where the two opossing football coaches agreed to let a disabled kid go in for a play and the other team let him score a TD.

There are good one out there too.

District303aPastPlayer
07-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Contrast this story with the one where the two opossing football coaches agreed to let a disabled kid go in for a play and the other team let him score a TD.

i remember that story, it just made me smile...

Gobbla2001
07-16-2005, 08:58 PM
In a round about way this story hits home for me... I have a couson with down-syndrom, love that guy... and if anyone ever pulled anything close to this I'd have broken nuckles...

Gobbla2001
07-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2

I remember seeing that on T.V.

I'll admit, I'm not the most emotional person in the world, but that one got to me...

Reading that almost the exact opposite happened kinda pieces me off...