PDA

View Full Version : How close was he.......

sicem74
07-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Brett Favre is returning to Green Bay for the 2005 season, Packers coach Mike Sherman told The Associated Press.

Sherman said Thursday he had a two-hour conversation with his quarterback on Wednesday night. Favre informed him his wife is doing well in her cancer treatment, so he's planning to play at least one more season, maybe more if his own health holds up.

"It came down to his wife and she's doing well in her recovery," Sherman said. "She wants him to play. He said he's looking forward to playing -- hopefully without any off-the-field situations and 'enjoying the journey."'

The three-time MVP said after the Packers' playoff loss to Minnesota in January he wanted to reflect before committing to playing a 15th NFL season following a year of personal tumult.

His wife, Deanna, was diagnosed with breast cancer in October, a week after the death of her 24-year-old brother in an ATV accident on the quarterback's property in Mississippi.

And Favre was still dealing with the stunning news of Reggie White's death on the day after Christmas, which came about a year after the death of Favre's father, Irv, from a heart attack.

"After the season, he just needed to think about some things," Sherman said. "Any man would have to contemplate his future when his wife is fighting cancer. It's not like he had to work to make money. He didn't want to be a part-time husband and a part-time football player. It came down to his wife. If she's not healthy, it's obviously a different ballgame. But now she's doing good. She wants him to play."

It never was a question of diminished ability because even at 35, Favre is still near the top of his game.

He topped 4,000 yards passing last season and recorded his eighth 30-touchdown season, twice as many as any other quarterback in NFL history, and the Packers set franchise records for total offense and net passing yards in 2004.

"He's always been excited about playing football," Sherman said. "He's never lost his enthusiasm for the game. It's just his family situation was pulling at him."

Next season won't necessarily be Favre's farewell, either.

"As long as he can play at a Brett Favre level, he will," Sherman said, "unless some situation off the field, outside of football, affects him or his family."

Deanna Favre has completed her chemotherapy and is undergoing radiation treatment.

The Favres are helping put on a Faith Hill concert back home Saturday night to benefit breast cancer patients. Favre is scheduled to appear at the Packers' inaugural fan fest that morning in Green Bay.

After the Packers were upset 31-17 by the Vikings in the wild-card round of the playoffs -- Green Bay's second playoff loss at home in three years -- Favre said he needed some time to figure out his future.

Last season, Favre extended his record of 225 consecutive starts at quarterback, despite being on the injured report three times. Since his first start on Sept. 27, 1992, 183 other quarterbacks have made their NFL debut.

Because Favre hasn't spoken publicly about his plans, it wasn't known before Thursday whether the retooled coaching staff, the stripping of Sherman's GM duties in favor of Ted Thompson or the loss of starting guards Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle in free agency would play a role in his decision.

Rivera signed with Dallas and Wahle with Carolina last week, leaving two gaping holes in an offensive line that allowed a franchise-low 14 sacks last season.

Sherman said the only thing Favre had to say about the loss of the guards was they deserved the multimillion-dollar bonuses they received.

"I told him we'll get that fixed," Sherman said. "It never was an issue. Brett said he was excited about what we did on offense last year and he thinks we can do more this year.

"Obviously, his major thing is to win another Super Bowl and he's excited about having that chance."

sicem74
07-15-2005, 08:22 PM
ok yall know he is the best qb out there!

Gobbla2001
07-15-2005, 08:28 PM
HE is a great qb, not just as a passer, not just by making the right decisions, but by being the toughest qb there is out there...

Bandera YaYa
07-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Now HE'S a wonderful example of an athlete who has his priorities in order......best of wishes to his wife and his whole family..... :)

Rabbit'93
07-15-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Now HE'S a wonderful example of an athlete who has his priorities in order......best of wishes to his wife and his whole family..... :)
Yep .... now that the whole pain killer addiction is outta the way.

bullfrog_alumni_02
07-16-2005, 02:00 AM
i had a buddy that went to the same high school at favre. he said they would sometimes run the same plays and stuff that they used to run back when mr brett went there or would wear the classic uni's.

HighSchool Fan
07-16-2005, 08:42 AM
greatest QB ever is Otto Graham

big daddy russ
07-16-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
Yes he is.

sicem74
07-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
lol funny one!

HighSchool Fan
07-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by sicem74
lol funny one!

what's so funny about it??

big daddy russ
07-17-2005, 12:50 AM
lol funny one!
Homework for the night, sicem: who was Otto Graham and what team did he play for? One more thing --and this counts for 90% of your grade-- tell me what you thought his single biggest accomplishment as a football player was.

Tip: If you start talking about how many TD passes he threw, how many yards he passed for, his completion percentage, his rushing yards, his completions or his TD-to-INT ratio you fail your homework.

sicem74
07-17-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Homework for the night, sicem: who was Otto Graham and what team did he play for? One more thing --and this counts for 90% of your grade-- tell me what you thought his single biggest accomplishment as a football player was.

Tip: If you start talking about how many TD passes he threw, how many yards he passed for, his completion percentage, his rushing yards, his completions or his TD-to-INT ratio you fail your homework.
Clevland Browns, and 7 league titles in 10 years, winning 4 AAFC championships (1946-49) and 3 NFL (1950,54-55); 5-time All-Pro; 2-time NFL MVP (1953,55).
i know my stuff!

Bulldog_12
07-17-2005, 09:33 PM
I think you cut and pasted. The punctuation is wayyyyyy too good.

Leopards,class of 75
07-17-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Now HE'S a wonderful example of an athlete who has his priorities in order......best of wishes to his wife and his whole family..... :) I agree with you 100%! He is a good example in many ways!

fairfield_06
07-17-2005, 11:03 PM
Clevland Browns, and 7 league titles in 10 years, winning 4 AAFC championships (1946-49) and 3 NFL (1950,54-55); 5-time All-Pro; 2-time NFL MVP (1953,55).
i know my stuff!
HOLD on it dosent say sicem anywhere in there and words are spelt right you couldnt of wrote that.

spiveyrat
07-18-2005, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
I think you cut and pasted. The punctuation is wayyyyyy too good.

You got that right! :thumbsup:

Even so, like we really believe that he had all that data stored in that noggin of his. :rolleyes:

sicem74
07-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Just to let yall know that was me that wrote all of that.

spiveyrat
07-18-2005, 02:22 PM
yeah, "Control+C" and "Control+V".

sicem74
07-18-2005, 02:45 PM
what?????

big daddy russ
07-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by fairfield_06
HOLD on it dosent say sicem anywhere in there and words are spelt right you couldnt of wrote that.

i know my stuff!
Whether or not he cut and pasted he still got the gist of it. Graham was the MJ of football. Oh and one other thing. During those 10 years with the Browns he may have lost a couple of championships (3), but he never missed one.

The year after he retired, they went 5-7, a 4-and-a-half-game swing from 55's 9-2-1 mark. They'd have to wait until some kid from Syracuse joined the team in '57 before they returned to respectability. And even with the greatest RB to ever play the game running behind the best offensive line of the late-50's and early-60's, they only made it to the Championship twice (winning once), far short of what Graham did during his decade of dominance.

HighSchool Fan
07-19-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Whether or not he cut and pasted he still got the gist of it. Graham was the MJ of football. Oh and one other thing. During those 10 years with the Browns he may have lost a couple of championships (3), but he never missed one.

The year after he retired, they went 5-7, a 4-and-a-half-game swing from 55's 9-2-1 mark. They'd have to wait until some kid from Syracuse joined the team in '57 before they returned to respectability. And even with the greatest RB to ever play the game running behind the best offensive line of the late-50's and early-60's, they only made it to the Championship twice (winning once), far short of what Graham did during his decade of dominance.

most young people here don't realize that football started before the 80's. people these days don't realize that the players in the past set their records in 12 and 14 game schedules, they are just use to 16 game schedules. how many of you could see deion sanders playing in the 40's or 50's. if he didn't tackle someone then, his team mates would come close to killing him.