PDA

View Full Version : Cuero Impressive!

Pudlugger
08-17-2002, 03:57 PM
I guess if you view scrimmages as an opportunity to assess a teams weaknesses and rough edges, La Grange can call this one a success. Cuero was big, tough and fast and pretty much had their way with the Leps. The La Grange offensive line as well as the defense's middle linebackers were the bright spot in this young team's initial performance. Give credit to the Gobblers, they are a very fine football team and clearly underrated in their district and polls. Many changes and realignments will be made I'm sure before the La Grange coaches are satisfied with the starting line-up. Greg Boothe and Cody Wilson showed promise carrying the ball with several long gainers. Josh Johnson, Lance Schramm and Byran Hayes were impressive on defense. Junior left tackle Albion Stiffler (6'2" 235)manhandled the big Cuero 6'5" defensive end #80 pretty much all afternoon. This team has promise and doubtless will begin to gel after some more polishing and tuning by the fine La Grange coaching staff.

tigerSville_04
08-17-2002, 04:29 PM
hey big man tell me more

bd62
08-17-2002, 09:55 PM
i know they are hungry over in cuero after missing playoffs last year. they probably had more fire in there eyes than lagrange. lagrange coaches do not take scrimages and non district games too serious. they just try things and look for improvement. but look out when dist. starts. they will be ok.

Pudlugger
08-18-2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by bd62:
i know they are hungry over in cuero after missing playoffs last year. they probably had more fire in there eyes than lagrange. lagrange coaches do not take scrimages and non district games too serious. they just try things and look for improvement. but look out when dist. starts. they will be ok.

That's true, the LG coaches played several different kids in key positions on defense and as receivers and ball carriers to try and assess who can and wants to play. Their attitude is more clinical while the intensity and game day stuff was comming more from Cuero's side (they had a very loud cheering section with big noisemakers and cans going alot). However, anyone who doubts that Cuero has a great team will be surprised this season. Last year 2A Brookshire Royal scrimmaged LG like a game too, and LG looked more like a practice session. Royal scored several times and "won" the scrimmage by a TD. They went wild celebrating over "beating" the defending state champs. They went on to go deep into the 2A playoffs and that scrimmage probably gave them a big boost in confidence early on. Same for Cuero IMHO. When you go to State two years running you get a big target painted on your jersey I guess. When the season openner comes at Yoakum they will be ready for sure.

tigerSville_04
08-18-2002, 01:42 PM
have u heard from our distirct???? 24AAA