PDA

View Full Version : Pink Lockers: Good Strategy or Bad Sportsmanship

AggieJohn
07-14-2005, 01:29 AM
Associated Press
Jul. 9, 2005 12:00 AM

IOWA CITY, Iowa - Hayden Fry's legacy lives on. The visiting locker room at Iowa's Kinnick Stadium will continue to keep opponents in the pink.

If anything, the pink color scheme will be even stronger after workers finish refurbishing the locker room, part of an $87 million renovation of the 75-year-old stadium.

The visitor's dressing room became a part of Hawkeyes lore when Fry, Iowa's coach from 1979-98, had it painted pink, saying it was a psychological ploy to mellow the opponents.

Fry ended up winning more games than any other Iowa coach, though how much the pink walls had to do with that success is anybody's guess. Still, the locker room gained such notoriety that there was no question what color scheme would be used when the area was remodeled.

"The critical thing was could we do it and make it look appropriate?" said Jane Meyer, Iowa's senior associate athletic director. "We think it's appropriate. We hope our visiting teams enjoy it as much as we have in planning it."

The biggest decision was which shade of pink to use.

"We had two choices of pink color schemes and we went with the more subdued pink," Meyer said. "Our architects had an absolute fun time trying to make sure that we were actually going to follow through with it."

The light pink walls are done. The room also will have pink shower surfaces, a carpet with pink aspects and porcelain for the toilets and sinks in a shade of pink called "dusty rose." Those last items are still to be installed.

Workers also are making progress in other areas of the stadium. The home locker room - it's painted in the school colors of black and gold - and the media interview rooms have drywall and at least one layer of paint.

Most of the work is being done at the south end, where the stands are being redone and a new scoreboard is going in. More restrooms and concession stands are being installed throughout the stadium.

The concrete work for the stands is finished and workers will begin putting in seats on Monday. The video screen for the scoreboard is in place and all the brickwork will be finished in two weeks.

"We're very thrilled with how everything is going," Meyer said. "We're ahead of schedule on most everything. Now it's just trying to get everything done by the first week of August so we can start doing things that we need to prepare for the first game."

Iowa opens the season Sept. 3 vs. Ball State, so everything has to be ready by then.

Next year, workers will refurbish the press box, including the indoor and outdoor club sections, and build a plaza entrance on the south side.

Meyer said that although she's pleased with the progress, there's still plenty of work to be done.

"It's not until we are ready to open the gates on football Saturday that I'm going to feel comfortable," she said.

Old Tiger
07-14-2005, 02:01 AM
That would just get me fired up to play

spiveyrat
07-14-2005, 07:14 AM
LOL! I don't think I've ever seen a pink urinal.

Phil C
07-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
That would just get me fired up to play

I agree with you Tiger in that it can backfire on you especially now that teams know what to expect when they come there. I remember Coach Hardin of Navy said on public television before the 1964 Cotton Bowl football game when Navy was No. 2 and Texas No. 1 "When the number 2 teams plays the number 1 team and wins then no. 2 becomes no. 1." He should have played the game and then if they won said that but he did it before the game and the Texas players heard him. Royal saw the anger in his players and said "We're ready." And they were and went out and whipped Navy by 28 to 6 (it could have been worse if Texas had wanted to). That shut up Hardin's mount.

Ironically the one Navy player was QB Roger Stauback (the Heisman Trophy winner) and he kept his mouth shut and showed the class that he was to still have when he lead the Dallas Cowboys during their great glory years of the 70s.

AggieJohn
07-14-2005, 10:34 AM
i'm searching for a pic, hold on

Bandera YaYa
07-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Well, pink is just a lighter shade of maroon........... :cool:

AggieJohn
07-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
in austin, yeah.....

btw, here's the best pic i can come up with right now
http://www.kinnickrenovation.com/displayGallery.php?id=294

Bandera YaYa
07-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
in austin, yeah.....

btw, here's the best pic i can come up with right now
http://www.kinnickrenovation.com/displayGallery.php?id=294 No, just saying it is .....

Phil C
07-14-2005, 10:57 AM

That's like saying that alcohol is the same as water except that alcohol burns your tongue. :D

AP Panther Fan
07-14-2005, 11:19 AM
Those were nice pics of the stadium. I really don't like the pink dressing room thing though. Personally, I think it shows a lack of class.:cool:

AggieJohn
07-14-2005, 11:31 AM
yeah it could been seen as classless, i just find it funny

Bandera YaYa
07-14-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
That's like saying that alcohol is the same as water except that alcohol burns your tongue. :D hmmmmmmm....don't quite see that Phil....... :thinking:

Bandera YaYa
07-14-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Those were nice pics of the stadium. I really don't like the pink dressing room thing though. Personally, I think it shows a lack of class.:cool: I'm with you......kinda sad when you have to resort to psychological ploys to try to win a game......it's a "chicken" tactic in my book..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AP Panther Fan
07-14-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm with you......kinda sad when you have to resort to psychological ploys to try to win a game......it's a "chicken" tactic in my book..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

that and kinda ignorant....:rolleyes: :D

Bandera YaYa
07-14-2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
that and kinda ignorant....:rolleyes: :D Exactly !!!! Ha.....that coach is a man, right???????? :p :p :p

AP Panther Fan
07-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Exactly !!!! Ha.....that coach is a man, right???????? :p :p :p

LOL..right you are!:D

Besides a female would not have had a hard time picking out the better shade of pink IF she were stupid enough to think of re-decorating the visitor's locker room in that color.:evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh